TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 1 2013, 06:24 PM   #166
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Re: Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

I've been recording this season as it went but haven't had time to watch any until now, and I'm about to watch the first ep to see how that is for myself. Anyway, I've heard the finale is variations on 'polarising', but I'm more interested in the rest of the season. Without spoiling too much, how is it? I can take a bad ending if the rest is worth watching. Just need a couple posts worth of opinions.
Old October 1 2013, 07:12 PM   #167
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
I've been recording this season as it went but haven't had time to watch any until now, and I'm about to watch the first ep to see how that is for myself. Anyway, I've heard the finale is variations on 'polarising', but I'm more interested in the rest of the season. Without spoiling too much, how is it? I can take a bad ending if the rest is worth watching. Just need a couple posts worth of opinions.
The finale is insultingly stupid, but it's actually an improvement over much of the rest of the season.
Old October 1 2013, 07:20 PM   #168
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I haven't been watching this show because it turned me off many times in just two episodes. So, did they finally track down and execute that mass murdering psychopath motherfucker?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:29 PM   #169
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

The rest of the season is all over the place. They tried to do a lot with various characters and story lines and it came out a bit of a jumble.
Old October 1 2013, 10:49 PM   #170
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Ok yeah, I gave in and spoiled myself. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old October 1 2013, 11:44 PM   #171
davejames
Vice Admiral

The season actually started out fairly well, with the focus on Debra's downward spiral after the killing of LaGuerta, and Dexter's concern over his sister.

But gradually (without giving any spoilers), the writers kind of veered away from that storyline, and things just started to get more and more tedious and aimless as it went along.

I suppose if you put it out of your mind that this is the "final season", and just accept it as just another average season of Dexter, you might enjoy it. But I was not able to do that, and couldn't help but be incredibly disappointed with what we got.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:48 PM   #172
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Up until the last episode, it was a pretty average season. It didn't tell the story I wanted it to tell though.

Old October 2 2013, 11:01 PM   #173
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The problem with the final season was that it wasn't the final season. It was just another run-of-the-mill season in the show that meandered all over the place in order to fill the episode quota, then an incredibly weak and nonsensical "finale" tagged on at the end.

At least that's why I was disappointed, and I tend to try to stay optimistic for most of the shows I watch. Or at least hope the writer's have something more interesting planned than what they're currently showing, anyway.

In retrospect, I kind of wish the series had ended after the first season. It was pretty much a perfect story for me.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:14 PM   #174
Harvey
Admiral

The second season isn't perfect, but I like it enough that I'd take it, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:13 AM   #175
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
In retrospect, I kind of wish the series had ended after the first season. It was pretty much a perfect story for me.
I've actually been doing a rewatch of season 1 over the past two weeks, mainly to purge the shittiness of season 8 from my brain, and am enjoying it immensely. It's like ah yes, THIS is why I became a fan of the show in the first place... Forgot what a great villain the Ice Truck Killer was, with all his toying with Dexter, and Dexter's voiceovers were actually funny back then rather than constantly stating the obvious.
Old October 5 2013, 08:38 PM   #176
Agent Richard07
Retired

I didn't enjoy season 1, but that was probably because I saw it in 2011 and my expectations were high due to 5 years of hype. When I got to season 2, I absolutely loved it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:36 AM   #177
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Dexter Producer: Showtime Wouldn’t Let Us Kill Dexter

"How about that finale?" said Dexter producer John Goldwyn at the NYFF premiere of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty this weekend, when we asked how the writers decided on that ending. "They won't let us kill him," he told us. "Showtime was very clear about that. When we told them the arc for the last season, they just said, 'Just to be clear, he's going to live.' There were a lot of endings discussed because it was a very interesting problem to solve, to bring it to a close.
Bad Showtime, bad.
Old October 8 2013, 06:16 AM   #178
Yoda
Rear Admiral

On the one hand, that's pretty horrible. On the other hand, I don't think whether Dexter lived or died in the end would have made much of a difference considering how the rest of the show played out.
Old October 8 2013, 08:42 AM   #179
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Yeah but we would've been spared Lame-o Lumberjack Dexter.
Old October 8 2013, 11:40 AM   #180
Aragorn
Admiral

Meaningless and pointless. Those are the best words I can describe the final season. No matter how season eight could have played out, the writing never led there. Stuff either happens or it doesn't, and the reaction is ho hum for both the characters and the viewers.

Let's say the show ends with Deb being accused of being the Bay Harbor Butcher... or Matthews has known about Dexter this whole time and has been covering for him... or Quinn loves Deb so much he takes the fall for being the Bay Harbor Butcher... or Dexter gets away with everything only to get killed in a simple convenience store robbery... or Batista kills Dexter to avenge LaGuerta... or Harrison falls into a portal and comes back the next day as a full-grown adult who blames Dexter for Rita's death and kills him... or we find out Doakes has been turned into a robot zombie and kills Dexter out of revenge... none of it really matters because for this season, everything just kind of happens.

But if you've season seasons 1-7, I guess you're obligated to finish.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote