Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 2 2013, 07:30 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Memory Alpha calls it Arc: Futures's End (1 of 3).

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Futu..._%28episode%29

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mountain out of a mole hill.

If I get a pimple in just the right place, I sill don't have three nipples.

From memory alpha.

Story arcs are story lines in Star Trek that are told over the course of multiple episodes. They are not simply two-parters or recurring characters and themes, but rather plots that are interwoven with other arcs and plot threads. An example of this is Deep Space Nine's introduction of the Dominion and the eventual Dominion War. Story arcs often take precedence over other plot elements and consume a series for several consecutive episodes, but in many cases (such as the Dominion War) they may take a back seat and re-enter the picture later on.
Part two of the arc is Futures End part 2. Part two of the arc is therefore the same "story" as part one, and therefore a cheat.

3 episodes is minimum, but still that's a bullshit pisspoor arc imho.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:57 AM   #18
teacake
Admiral

So when I say that the stories Braxton was a part of are some of my favorites I am not allowed to use the word "arc" because of.. math?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 2 2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well you can lie to yourself.

Or you can claim that because he "cleaned up" that shit Harold wrought in Timeless, that the did in fact have three stories, even though we're not sure "which" actor didn't play play Braxton in the episode he was only meta-ly in.

BRAXTON: Thirty years of exile on twentieth century Earth. The temporal inversion in the Takara sector! Three violations that I had to repair.

Old October 2 2013, 10:37 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

I don't think changing actors has anything to do with whether something is an arc. We don't talk about the three different Ziyals as being part of different stories.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 2 2013, 01:24 PM   #21
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

@Guy: You're getting unnecessarily nitpicky on this Braxton thing.

@Anwar: I disagree that Voyager suffered from not having a more clear-cut 'path' mapped out when it came to the show's basic premise -one ship, far from 'familiar shores', trying to make it home - and the execution of said premise.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:32 PM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's math. Two points make a line. Three points make a line or an arc or a triangle.

An arc looks like a half circle sorta.

starts from zero on the x axis with an origin, rises on the y axis with development, falls on y axis and then heads back towards zero on the x axis because of firther development that has fundamentally changed the status quo of the story and is heading towards a conclusion which is again zero on the x axis.

Like a ball in flight.

I ('m sure? I) said changing the acting, is cheating, but bringing a character back from cold storage means that a story line is getting curvature even if it is cheating.

How hard is it to get an actor to accept 10 grand for a couple hours work, and then come back every now and then for another ten grand?

Old October 2 2013, 04:38 PM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Before killing Tuvix, Tuvix speaks to everyone on the bridge, telling them they will have to live with it. And tada, no one has to live with it because the show completely forgot about the entire incident by the next episode.

The doctor becomes insane because of a moral conflict in his programming and has to deal with it instead of wiping his program. But even that is completely forgotten about.

Some crewmember that we have never seen before dies and returns and is supposed to be best friends with everyone. Yeah right.

Even that year of hell thing completely misfired. There was an episode where Kes aged backwards and at the end reported everyone about the Krenim and their temporal torpedoes. And then they meet the Krenim and nobody remembers.

Stuff like that annoyed me the most about Voyager. It barely has any continuity.

I prefer DS9.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Anwar
Vice Admiral

DS9 did the same stuff too, for all of Sisko's talk about "Saving the dream!" in Far Beyond the Stars he then goes and destroys the dream himself in "Pale Moonlight" and his character does not change at all.

For everything that happened to O'Brien in "Hard Time" he's okay by the next episode.

Bashir finally realizes how arrogant he is in "The Quickening" and then he's back to normal in the next episode.

DS9 "dropped the ball" as much as Voyager did, it had SOME character moments but it flopped just as much.

DS9 had a more workable premise than Voyager as well.

As for the "Year of Hell" thing, Kes ended up leaving the ship meaning that the entire timelines thing she experienced never would've happened. That episode more or less retconned itself out of existence when she left, explaining why no one remembers the Krenim.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 05:26 PM   #25
KaraBear
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Before killing Tuvix, Tuvix speaks to everyone on the bridge, telling them they will have to live with it. And tada, no one has to live with it because the show completely forgot about the entire incident by the next episode.

The doctor becomes insane because of a moral conflict in his programming and has to deal with it instead of wiping his program. But even that is completely forgotten about.

Some crewmember that we have never seen before dies and returns and is supposed to be best friends with everyone. Yeah right.

Even that year of hell thing completely misfired. There was an episode where Kes aged backwards and at the end reported everyone about the Krenim and their temporal torpedoes. And then they meet the Krenim and nobody remembers.

Stuff like that annoyed me the most about Voyager. It barely has any continuity.

I prefer DS9.
not following up on some things doesn't mean no continuity.

there is plenty of continuity and arcs. I've posted some above
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 05:55 PM   #26
KaraBear
Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
DS9 did the same stuff too, for all of Sisko's talk about "Saving the dream!" in Far Beyond the Stars he then goes and destroys the dream himself in "Pale Moonlight" and his character does not change at all.

For everything that happened to O'Brien in "Hard Time" he's okay by the next episode.

Bashir finally realizes how arrogant he is in "The Quickening" and then he's back to normal in the next episode.

DS9 "dropped the ball" as much as Voyager did, it had SOME character moments but it flopped just as much.

DS9 had a more workable premise than Voyager as well.

As for the "Year of Hell" thing, Kes ended up leaving the ship meaning that the entire timelines thing she experienced never would've happened. That episode more or less retconned itself out of existence when she left, explaining why no one remembers the Krenim.
yep, exactly. Obrien lived a lifetime in an alien prison, starving and believing he killed someone, next episode he's fine.
Garak tortured Odo, but they never talk about that again
Worf disobeyed orders durring a mission to save his wife, no mention of that agin
and what did happen to all those tribbles on the promenade?
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 06:12 PM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A show with no continuity is the Outter Limits from the early 1990s UNTIL IT WASN'T.

170 episodes of Voyager and we "experts" can only find 5 or 6 arcs that covered maybe a dozen episodes.

For all of Seven of Nine's exploration of her humanity, whatever lesson she supposedly learned, the following week she was a dumbass again starting from first principles all over again like Scorpion was a week ago through out her entire run..

SHE DIDN'T EVEN CHANGE HER CLOTHES!

Old October 2 2013, 06:21 PM   #28
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Everyone in Trek had a limited wardrobe man!
Old October 2 2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Anwar
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
@Anwar: I disagree that Voyager suffered from not having a more clear-cut 'path' mapped out when it came to the show's basic premise -one ship, far from 'familiar shores', trying to make it home - and the execution of said premise.
"Lost in Space" isn't really a sustainable premise for more than 2 seasons at the very most, neither is "Crew divided on everything". Most tensions would realistically fade after 1 season or so, otherwise we're dealing with seriously messed up people.

The whole "Always on the move" thing damaged the show's ability to flesh out their surroundings as well.
Old October 2 2013, 07:20 PM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

The argument often is that VOY lacked continuity not that it had no continuity, there is a subtle difference.

The premise indictaed a more serialised show, yet what we got was a largely episodic show i.e. a re-hash of TNG. Had VOY been set in the AQ exploring the borders of UFP space much like TOS and TNG some of the critisims would not have been made, as that premise would indicate a more episodic show.

But leaving aside that for now, audiance tatses where changing around that time to wanting more serialised shows.

The are some that that hate VOY, some that accept it for what it was and some who feel it could have been so much more, and some of those who critise VOY come from those who feel it could have bee more, they don't hate it per say they just feel it didin't live up to it's potential.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote