IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 2 2013, 02:56 AM   #121
diankra
Commodore

Re: 50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Not sure about that 8pm slot. Lots of things argue against it (BBC1 has to run the lottery, the Excel centre usually closes earlier...)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 03:32 AM   #122
The Wormhole
Admiral

I thought I read somewhere it was airing 7 PM London time?
Old October 2 2013, 04:57 AM   #123
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

No trailer, no nailed-down timeslot, little real promotion....

If this were a football club, the papers would be yelling CRISIS!

"CRISIS! Beeb doesn't know Who's "Who" as 50th Approaches"
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 08:59 AM   #124
The Haunting
Admiral

But the BBC never start promoting things until a few weeks before they air? They only realy started advertising Atlantis a couple of weeks ago.
Typical really, the Beeb can't win. Not so long ago people were complaining they were milking the announcement of Capaldi and being too in everyones faces

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:41 AM   #125
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The reality is, fans like us will know the date of this special and don't need reminded. The casual viewer will be happy enough to be told about it a few weeks beforehand and indeed that's all the advance notice they need. They won't (and for the most part can't) start setting their Sky Plus and DVR two months in advance.

I expect the BBC to start hyping the hell out of this towards the end of this month or even start of November and that will do the job.
Old October 2 2013, 12:02 PM   #126
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

I expect the BBC to start hyping the hell out of this towards the end of this month or even start of November and that will do the job.
Exactly. The BBC as has already been said don't advertise massively 'till a few weeks before broadcast of a new series or one off episode in this case. We all know when it's airing, so I don't get why there seems to be such unrest over it.

As for when it's being broadcast on the day, my money would be around the 18:30 - 19:00hrs mark, it will also require a bit of juggling of programmes including a very early, or split episode of Strictly, but is that the weekend of Children in Need?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 01:18 PM   #127
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

Exactly. The BBC as has already been said don't advertise massively 'till a few weeks before broadcast of a new series or one off episode in this case. We all know when it's airing, so I don't get why there seems to be such unrest over it.
Fan entitlement, that perpetual bane of Doctor Who fandom.

There's unrest because two trailers have been shown, in San Diego and Edinburgh, months ago, and because Steven Moffat has said dark and menacing things about what will happen if camera phone copies leak. A select few got to see something that no one else did. For many people, that's fine. For some, it's not okay at all. It wasn't okay at the time, and it's not okay the longer it goes on. Plus, the longer it goes on, more people who were originally fine with the fact that the trailers were limited and exclusive cease to be okay with it.

Do I think the general public in the UK cares? No. I'm not even sure the general public in the UK knows that there were trailers for "The Day of the Doctor" in San Diego and Edinburgh.

It's the little bubble of Who fandom that knows. And cares. And is agitated about it.

It's been interesting to observe. The psychology of this is fascinating. Speaking as someone who works in marketing, I totally get the BBC's marketing approach -- it's all about hammering in November 23rd to the Not-We audience and getting them excited, and you don't do that four months out for a television show. Contrary to what I posted yesterday afternoon, I don't think the BBC is deliberately trolling Doctor Who fandom. If there's trolling, it's unintentional because the BBC knows that the fans will be there irregardless, but with fan expectations as high as they are, they risk a serious backlash in November from some quarters, a backlash that has the potential to blindside them.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 01:28 PM   #128
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
irregardless
: (
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 03:20 PM   #129
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
irregardless
: (
You should have added "GET OUT!" to that post.
Old October 2 2013, 07:03 PM   #130
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post

Do you know when the show is going to air? Are you worried that you are going to miss it?
Old October 2 2013, 07:09 PM   #131
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post

Do you know when the show is going to air? Are you worried that you are going to miss it?
LOL, on one side, we have the thread proclaiming "There's so much hype, I'm afraid this is gonna suck as bad as ST:Nemesis" (suckitude of ST: Nemesis is debatable) and then we have lots of folks proclaiming "Where's all the hype and the trailers, it's only a month and 3 weeks away" (And some proclaiming that proves it's gonna suck, or else they'd be hyping it and putting up trailers to let us know details)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:15 PM   #132
Christopher
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
LOL, on one side, we have the thread proclaiming "There's so much hype, I'm afraid this is gonna suck as bad as ST:Nemesis" (suckitude of ST: Nemesis is debatable) and then we have lots of folks proclaiming "Where's all the hype and the trailers, it's only a month and 3 weeks away" (And some proclaiming that proves it's gonna suck, or else they'd be hyping it and putting up trailers to let us know details)
Welcome to modern fandom.

http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.c...alization.html

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:16 PM   #133
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

^That's what's so weird. There is both too much and too little hype. They hype everything "There's an embargoed press release" then it comes out and tells us something we knew months ago. They hype that there's a trailer coming then give us a hashtag, they go on and on about stuff and give us merch but they don't actually give us any content. Just fluff and marketing ops. It's all very cynical with very little real celebration of 50 years.
Old October 2 2013, 07:24 PM   #134
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Like I said before, I still think it's too darn early to really start hyping this! Wait until November!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:31 PM   #135
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Like I said before, I still think it's too darn early to really start hyping this! Wait until November!

Mr Awe
I don't disagree on this point. I don't mind if we don't get a trailer until the usual timescale. Only on the fact they hype and when we get it it's nothing. Hype for something worth hyping not for a piddly little hashtag.