Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 24 2013, 03:30 PM   #526
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

In the latest non-shocking turn of events, the "sources" that were predicting an announcement this week are now saying it might be next week, or a long way off yet. More surprising is that some long-term believers actually seem shaken by this latest moving of the goalposts, and are accepting that there might be nothing to the rumors after all. Of course, there are plenty of people still ready to believe that the BBC has come close to reporting something three times in six months, and been abruptly wrong-footed each time.
Old September 24 2013, 04:19 PM   #527
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

But, they promised it would be a Tuesday in September, and this is the last Tuesday in September, Damned Lying Liars BBC

Oh, wait, they didn't specify that September would be in 2013, did they?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:46 PM   #528
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
In the latest non-shocking turn of events, the "sources" that were predicting an announcement this week are now saying it might be next week, or a long way off yet.
But some of them have always said the announcement might not even be this year, and some doubters now seem convinced it could be real after all.

I'm still highly optimistic there is something to all this. That or some high level fans have been fooled.

Regarding announcements I'm not expecting anything until a BBC source tweets one is due. But I do think its not a case of if - its a case of when.
Old September 24 2013, 08:09 PM   #529
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

But some of them have always said the announcement might not even be this year
I don't think there's a single person with "sources" who has consistently said that. "Not this year" didn't even enter the picture until the expectations raised by the June publicity failed to translate into anything concrete. There are plenty who've said "it might be a while," then fallen in line with one of the deadlines that failed to be met, the said "it'll be a while after all," though.
That or some high level fans have been fooled.
I don't know why so many people find this prospect surprising. That's the problem-- people keep converting from "doubters" to "believers" or vice versa based on claims from some (rarely-identified) individual they happen to trust. No matter how much I liked someone or respected his/her judgment, I wouldn't put stock in extraordinary claims like these based on that person's belief alone. And that's all the more true in a fandom, where gossip is rampant, petty resentment twists the way things are reported, people became "high-level" more on the basis of enthusiasm than levelheadedness or good judgment.
Old September 24 2013, 08:30 PM   #530
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
But some of them have always said the announcement might not even be this year
I don't think there's a single person with "sources" who has consistently said that. "Not this year" didn't even enter the picture until the expectations raised by the June publicity failed to translate into anything concrete. There are plenty who've said "it might be a while," then fallen in line with one of the deadlines that failed to be met, the said "it'll be a while after all," though.
That or some high level fans have been fooled.
I don't know why so many people find this prospect surprising. That's the problem-- people keep converting from "doubters" to "believers" or vice versa based on claims from some (rarely-identified) individual they happen to trust. No matter how much I liked someone or respected his/her judgment, I wouldn't put stock in extraordinary claims like these based on that person's belief alone. And that's all the more true in a fandom, where gossip is rampant, petty resentment twists the way things are reported, people became "high-level" more on the basis of enthusiasm than levelheadedness or good judgment.
Earlier in the year (When the rumor started to really gain Media attention), the time frame was always that the announcement was being saved for the Anniversary. So, yea, I think it's only because we are getting closer to the Anniversary, that people have recently been saying maybe not until next year

Old September 29 2013, 09:33 PM   #531
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The funny part is these people who are so insistent that there are missing episodes that BBC are going to announce are probably the same who, if they did somehow manage to see a missing episode would be hyper critical of it, calling it a disappointment that failed to live up to the hype it built up from years of being hidden from fandom and they feel cheated getting their hopes up for this abysmal disappointment.

Okay, now I want something to be found just so I can see if this exact scenario plays out.
LOL, so true. In fact, although it didn't go nuclear, I seem to recall a little bit of posting of disappointment with the Underwater Menace and Galaxy 4 finds, because they weren't from better Serials.
I'd thought that the general opinion seemed to be that "The Underwater Menace, Part 2" was at least better than Part 3 and had partially rehabilitated opinions on the story.
Old September 30 2013, 02:49 AM   #532
Candlelight
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The funny part is these people who are so insistent that there are missing episodes that BBC are going to announce are probably the same who, if they did somehow manage to see a missing episode would be hyper critical of it, calling it a disappointment that failed to live up to the hype it built up from years of being hidden from fandom and they feel cheated getting their hopes up for this abysmal disappointment.

Okay, now I want something to be found just so I can see if this exact scenario plays out.
LOL, so true. In fact, although it didn't go nuclear, I seem to recall a little bit of posting of disappointment with the Underwater Menace and Galaxy 4 finds, because they weren't from better Serials.
I'd thought that the general opinion seemed to be that "The Underwater Menace, Part 2" was at least better than Part 3 and had partially rehabilitated opinions on the story.
Depends who you speak to. I find episode 2 is far superior to 3 BUT I find the story extremely silly overall.
Old October 1 2013, 09:18 PM   #533
Relayer1
Commodore

Well, it's the first Tuesday in October.

Shouldn't there be a rumour ?
Old October 1 2013, 10:21 PM   #534
diankra
Commodore

There was: Sammi was claiming there'd be an announcement 3PM today. Guess what? There wasnt.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 10:39 PM   #535
Relayer1
Commodore

I've found some lost episodes.

It was my DVD of The Five Doctors - it had fallen down the back of the shelf...
Old October 2 2013, 10:31 AM   #536
Lonemagpie
Writer

I've lost my copies of Time Flight and Arc Of Infinity - I'll host a press conference when I find them...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:01 AM   #537
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^LOL

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 02:04 PM   #538
Lonemagpie
Writer

I admit I'm not looking very hard...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 02:25 PM   #539
Christopher
Writer

Have you checked behind the sofa? That would be an appropriate place...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 03:21 PM   #540
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Have you checked behind the sofa? That would be an appropriate place...
Or in Sierra Leone? Rumor has it all the lost episodes end up there