Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 26 2013, 02:03 PM   #1126
trekker670
Captain

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Yes you can seemingly break the menus, I've seen something like what you guys describe on all the season sets so far (since the menus are basically the same across all seasons). When you put in a disc and the menus start to load, you get an animation of the Enterprise warping by and then the title floats by on a starfield, then finally you get to the actual menus. You can skip that animation, but I've seen it then hiccup and load blank menus. With no choice but to press stop and play again. I have a Panasonic player as well.

I've also made it totally choke in a similar manner from a PC Blu-ray player software.
That happened to me with the Enterprise season 1 set as well.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 02:20 PM   #1127
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

dg1379 wrote: View Post
I have a Samsung and haven't been able to reproduce the error. Also, I can't skip the enterprise flyby before the menus start. Not a big deal, I enjoy the animation.
I've noticed if you hang around for a minute or two, the menu will eventually correct itself. I'm watching primarily on a Magnavox player that I bought in late-2009.
Old August 31 2013, 11:27 PM   #1128
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Oh hell yes...
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=71
Old September 1 2013, 04:56 PM   #1129
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I broke down and bought season 3 yesterday on an impulse, not sure whether I'd care or not vs. watching the episodes on Netflix. Wow the image quality is so much higher it's unbelievable. That's worth it alone, haven't gotten to any of the special features yet other than one of the quick crew vignettes on the second disc. I'm impressed with the restoration.
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 11:26 AM   #1130
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I notice season 3 has been added to the US iTunes store. Hopefully not be too long before they add it to the UK one.
Old October 2 2013, 07:23 AM   #1131
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Sorry if this has been noted before, I couldn't read through the entire 76 page thread...

I've just watched A Matter Of Perspective as part of the rewatch that some of us are doing. Were they unable to find some of the original footage? The bit where Riker gets up and circles the facsimilie of himself on the holodeck looks suspiciously SD.
Old October 2 2013, 10:46 AM   #1132
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
Sorry if this has been noted before, I couldn't read through the entire 76 page thread...

I've just watched A Matter Of Perspective as part of the rewatch that some of us are doing. Were they unable to find some of the original footage? The bit where Riker gets up and circles the facsimilie of himself on the holodeck looks suspiciously SD.
This was most likely an anamorphic shot that had to be zoomed, thus losing some of its clarity.

More info on the process here:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/04/tng...or-widescreen/
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:47 PM   #1133
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Start Wreck wrote: View Post

This was most likely an anamorphic shot that had to be zoomed, thus losing some of its clarity.

That's correct - it's definitely an anomorphic zoom.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:47 PM   #1134
Joe_Atari
Lieutenant Commander

I'm very familiar with widescreen filming processes, and although I knew long ago the anamorphic pan-and-scan technique was used this way on TNG, it's very cool seeing TrekCore's visual demo with the original 35mm frame recreated by stitching together the frame grabs. Among other things it makes it even more obvious that the Stargazer bridge is basically the TOS movie bridge when you see it with similar CinemaScope framing. Are there any cases of this process being used for TV VFX work prior to TNG? Either way, quite an ingenious solution to the problem at hand.

A question about the quality of the pan-and-scan shots: I've not been able to glean from everything I've read since TNG-R began whether the VFX in these specific shots were recomposited like the others. When I first saw the still of Riker on the cliff from "The Last Outpost" I thought it had to be upscaled SD; there was virtually no detail in Riker's face and I was frankly amazed this shot was released as a sample (everything else was stunning). Panning-and-scanning anamorphic 35mm should result in a slight loss in quality, but there's still ample resolution there to get a detailed HD image right? Is it possible (even likely) the 35mm anamorphic elements used for the VFX work were not stored with the spherical elements and were unavailable to the TNG-R team so they upscaled (and perhaps enhanced as necessary) these shots? The workprint for "The Child" shows that entire 'scope frame was included in letterboxed form for screening purposes prior to the VFX work, but has it been confirmed that the elements were actually available after being used by the VFX house?
Joe_Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 10:27 PM   #1135
trekker670
Captain

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Is it possible (even likely) the 35mm anamorphic elements used for the VFX work were not stored with the spherical elements and were unavailable to the TNG-R team so they upscaled (and perhaps enhanced as necessary) these shots? The workprint for "The Child" shows that entire 'scope frame was included in letterboxed form for screening purposes prior to the VFX work, but has it been confirmed that the elements were actually available after being used by the VFX house?
That's a very interesting hypothesis, I too would be interested in hearing if this is what happened.
Old October 3 2013, 12:13 AM   #1136
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

No way. If they had to upscale shots, they would have informed us. Plus, none of these anamorphic pan-and-scan shots look as bad as the SD masters.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 01:43 AM   #1137
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Is it possible (even likely) the 35mm anamorphic elements used for the VFX work were not stored with the spherical elements and were unavailable to the TNG-R team so they upscaled (and perhaps enhanced as necessary) these shots? The workprint for "The Child" shows that entire 'scope frame was included in letterboxed form for screening purposes prior to the VFX work, but has it been confirmed that the elements were actually available after being used by the VFX house?
That's a very interesting hypothesis, I too would be interested in hearing if this is what happened.
No, I'm pretty sure they were stored along with all the other spherical elements, no reason not to. The only thing that changed was what kind of lens was being used to photograph the scene. It's the same camera, the same film and so they probably scanned the same 2k Full Camera Aperture area as everything else, i.e. 2048 x 1556.

The Anamorphic Aperture area would be a slightly narrower portion of that, 1828 x 1556. But that was probably resampled to 1920 x 817 instead of expanding it out 2X to 3656 x 1556. This, in addition to the motion blur imposed by the panning and the fact that they often used an even more zoomed-in area to make the pan last longer or move diagonally, is probably what's behind the lack of sharpness in these shots. CBS-Digital probably just doesn't have the hardware and software pipeline to deal with what would essentially be 4k size video files. Everything they have is set up for 2k work.
Old October 3 2013, 11:36 PM   #1138
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Everything they have is set up for 2k work.
... which is quite poor according to todays restoration standards by the way.
And even more so regarding to what they are doing there at the moment.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 10:17 AM   #1139
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Would a 4K scan really make that much difference? Depending on the film stock, you'd probably just get enlarged grain, no?

2K/1080p should be absolutely fine for a 1980s TV show! I honestly wouldn't expect a 4K re-remastering any time soon, if ever. It's overkill.

EDIT: Although, in the context of those pan-and-scan shots, yeah, it would probably be a noticable improvement over how they've done it there.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:06 PM   #1140
trekker670
Captain

Would a 4K scan really make that much difference? Depending on the film stock, you'd probably just get enlarged grain, no?

2K/1080p should be absolutely fine for a 1980s TV show! I honestly wouldn't expect a 4K re-remastering any time soon, if ever. It's overkill.

EDIT: Although, in the context of those pan-and-scan shots, yeah, it would probably be a noticable improvement over how they've done it there.
I may be incorrect, but I've heard varying reports that film holds a resolution of almost 8K. On bluray scanning above 2K probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but in a few years when 4+K is the norm, we'll be stuck with our 2K scans since I'm sure CBS won't want to re-remaster TNG in a few short years.