Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 29 2013, 02:59 PM   #286
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Maurice wrote: View Post
  1. I know Bill George personally. I can ask him about the intended size next time I see him.
  2. As I recall, Bill was tasked to build study models for the Excelsior from concepts by others, and when he finished early he was allowed to make his own concept model for consideration. That's the one Nimoy picked.
  3. That's a great theory about the doors, but it's undermined by the fact that we see the Excelsior pointed at the door the Enterprise enters and exits through. http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0608.jpg
Hey, wait! You better pick that up.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 03:23 PM   #287
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on the Damn Secondary Hull Chasm?
I'd just like to point out that we don't exactly know whether it was there during the transwarp experiments yet. Since there are no stern views showing the hollow until ST6:TUC, we might speculate that the secondary hull was built "larger than it really need be" in order to accommodate machinery that was removed after the first few movies - either simply because the testing phase was over, or because the machinery had been revealed a failure.

Series production of ships with this now-useless cavity might still commence; plenty of real-world examples of such exist, such as armored vehicles designed to take useless and indeed highly detrimental lead ballast merely because an early model was supposed to accommodate a wireless or an autoloader in the space!

The photographic model features an interesting greeblie in there, but this is virtually never seen. NCC-2000 features a blue "forcefield" glow, but this is unique to that individual vessel. And then there are the differences introduced in the "Flashback" model and the CGI models. Plenty enough excuse to think that the class was constantly being tinkered with, and that engineers well saw the utility of a "useless" expansion space.

Timo Saloniemi
I think you're onto something here, and I'll just piggy-back on it:

Maybe finding utility for this chasm (following the failure of the transwarp project) became a pet project of an engineer or two at SFC. Maybe pulling the original machinery/computers was time-consuming, and the affected Starships remained in service while it was ongoing. Maybe some of the ships had it turned into an open - and extremely well-lit - machinery bay. Maybe some others had it turned into extra bay for ancillary craft, with ONLY forcefield doors (no hardshell doors as it was not intended to be a shirtsleeve environment). There were probably what, 6-10 of this ships built at the TSFS/TUC size? Hell, maybe ship Captains of affected ships had input, and some wanted additional defensive capability, so they got uprated shielding components there, whereas others asked for and got beefier aft/amidship phaser/photon emplacements there.

Further, maybe some of the affected ships had the "chasm" closed off behind bulkheads, but we just don't see them.

Also, I haven't heard yet, but Praetor, this question is for you: are we assuming that the ship class from the TSFS and TUC is the same class as ALL the TNG ships?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 10:05 AM   #288
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
Did a bit of math and here's my results. Click to embiggen the image.

We begin with the 622 meter Excelsior, scaled from her window rows. Sized as-is in my file, she's 2363 px. I then scale the Enterprise refit to 2/3 Excelsior size to maintain the relative size difference first put forth at the official, smaller scale. At 1575 px, she's 415 meters long. I scaled the Miranda, TOS Enterprise to match, and for good measure throw in the four-deck saucer version of the Oberth.

Overall:
Excelsior: @ 622 meters/2363 px & 35 decks
Ent refit: @ 415 meters/1575 px & 33 decks
Miranda: @ 326 meters/1240 px & 19 decks (5 in rollbar pod)
Ent TOS: @ 408 meters/1552 px & 33 decks
Oberth: @ 260 meters/988 px & 17 decks
Having the ships be closer in size doesn't look bad at all - more cohesive as a group.

What peeks my interest in particular is (of course) the size of the TOS Enterprise. Recent developments over in the Shuttlebay Pic thread has caused me to rethink how the shuttlebay (as depicted on the show by the 122' scale model) fits into the vessel and how that in turn can lead to recalculating the likely length of the old girl.

For instance (going by the info in the above mentioned thread) if the allocated space behind the pylons is 89' on a 947' ship then expanding it to fit in the 122' shuttlebay miniature will give a ship of 1298'. However, SHAW's work suggests that model as assembled has even less space than that, leading to a vessel of 1450' or more!

So basically, I am just curious as to how you arrived at your own conclusions, and a ship length of 408 metres (1338 feet)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:21 PM   #289
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
Recent developments over in the Shuttlebay Pic thread has caused me to rethink how the shuttlebay (as depicted on the show by the 122' scale model) fits into the vessel and how that in turn can lead to recalculating the likely length of the old girl.
Which thread is this? Also: 122 feet! Where did they keep this thing?
Old October 1 2013, 02:04 PM   #290
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Of course! Here is the thread and where it starts to get interesting http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34793&page=10

It goes without saying that I'm taking the scale of the Hangar Deck (and the accompanying shuttlecraft) as intended, hence the 122' length. I'm also assuming that the support structure for the pylons continue through the secondary hull, instead of the "glued on pylons" approach that seems to be the case for many deck plans - although I can see the attraction for this: be it from magic glue or just really advanced 23rd Century engineering techniques, this latter approach certainly frees up interior space - hence Blsswlf's 1084' length ship complete with a completely show-accurate shuttlebay: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...25#post8645425
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 10:04 PM   #291
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Tangentially, a buddy of mine gave me the new Hot Wheels Excelsior as a birthday gift this week. I quickly searched through my collection of Trek models and toys, and the Furuta Voyager model (assuming 344 meters) comes out at roughly to scale with the Excelsior at 467 meters, or even outside-ish at 511 meters. Still, putting them side by side just shows off how big and voluminous the Intrepid class is compared to the Excelsior; Voyager's 150 crew must each have their own tennis court at that size...

Speaking of which, there is no TV-evidence statement of an Excelsior's crew compliment, do our local experts know how many non-canon estimations there have been? AFAIK the only ones I can think of are the FASA RPG crew count of 800 or so. A DS9 episode states that the USS Grissom had 1250 people aboard when she went down, and the TNG Encyclopedia states that she was an Excelsior class ship, though no onscreen evidence of this was ever seen. Any others?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 10:10 PM   #292
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Star Station Aurora's old USS Excelsior Ingram-Class Plans postulated a 590.6m Excelsior with a crew of 565 (and a top speed of warp 17!)
Old October 2 2013, 12:23 PM   #293
The Librarian
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Star Station Aurora's old USS Excelsior Ingram-Class Plans postulated a 590.6m Excelsior with a crew of 565 (and a top speed of warp 17!)
Yeah, but while a nice looking ship the Ingram looks almost nothing like the Excelsior save the general shape of the engineering hull. Why they called it the USS Excelsior is beyond me.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:38 PM   #294
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

The Librarian wrote: View Post
Yeah, but while a nice looking ship the Ingram looks almost nothing like the Excelsior save the general shape of the engineering hull. Why they called it the USS Excelsior is beyond me.
Because fans wanted Excelsior plans and Todd hated the Excelsior. So he did his own take on the ship.
Old October 2 2013, 02:43 PM   #295
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Really? I'd always assumed they were made after one or two viewings of Search for Spock and with no reference pics.
Old October 2 2013, 03:33 PM   #296
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Actually this had been my first impression, too, once I had purchased these blueprints via mail-order.

There is another and very prominent case where the blueprint artist stated in interviews that he made alterations because he disagreed (though personally I thought that was just the excuse of not having collected more reference materials in the first place).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 03:43 PM   #297
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
^^ Actually this had been my first impression, too, once I had purchased these blueprints via mail-order.

There is another and very prominent case where the blueprint artist stated in interviews that he made alterations because he disagreed (though personally I thought that was just the excuse of not having collected more reference materials in the first place).

Bob
Franz something or other, yes?
Old October 2 2013, 05:30 PM   #298
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Yes

(BTW, I love your TOS Enterprise VFX screencap compilation at Trekcore!)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:17 PM   #299
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Sorry I've been MIA, folks, work has been kicking my ass.

So basically, I am just curious as to how you arrived at your own conclusions, and a ship length of 408 metres (1338 feet)
I agree it does feel pretty good.

But, my approach was nothing so official, I'm afraid. After I laid out the decks on the refit, I copy/pasted into a new layer and adjusted the outline of the TOS ship to closely match the refit saucer's diameter in a plausible way. Then, I adjusted where the decks fell to where it to where it looked like it made sense.

I'm open to more precise figures, but I feel like the size I've picked for the refit is fairly locked down. I'm still likely to do these alternate sizes for fun... but I'm also still rather dubious as to how official I consider them. I've been re-working my old TOS cutaway on the side, and made a few clever decisions that I'll showcase sometime soon. Suffice it to say, the notion of Excelsior pioneering the integrated SIF has had a great bearing on what I"m doing with the older ships.

Tallguy wrote: View Post
The Librarian wrote: View Post
Because fans wanted Excelsior plans and Todd hated the Excelsior. So he did his own take on the ship.
I had no idea that was how that happened. Fascinating.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 04:30 AM   #300
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Of course! Here is the thread and where it starts to get interesting http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34793&page=10
Wow. I had totally missed that thread. Glad you linked it here. I went to the first post....and right down the rabbit hole.
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote