Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 30 2013, 05:00 PM   #151
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Sometimes I get flashbacks where I'm still watching it.
Those aren't flashbacks, the movie's still playing. I think they're almost to the end of the Enterprise reveal scene.
Old September 30 2013, 05:03 PM   #152
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
drt wrote: View Post
The transwarp beaming seems to be a one-way trip, from everything presented in '09 and ID, a very precise transporter lock is needed to beam someone up but not down, so it appears you can send somebody to another planet with the transwarp beaming, but I'm not sure there's a way to bring them back.
It's funny, the Dominion also had the ability to beam people across distances of a few light years too, yet they still insisted on maintaining an empire enforced by fleets of starships. The value of a flexible system of starbases and starships is just too great to give up on.
Old September 30 2013, 05:25 PM   #153
dub
Fleet Captain

ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
Or, you know, they had genuine grievances about story quality, rehashing old plots in a watered-down fashion and an over-use of special effects over logic.
But people have argued this over and over again, all of the above is entirely subjective.

I really don't get why this issue has to be brought up over and over again.
Really? The funny thing is even in this very thread people are STILL complaining about how slow TMP was. Still. Over 3 decades later. But that doesn't make them "haters" just because they don't like certain aspects of the film. And "slow" is also subjective. Some people would say it was gripping or captivating, not slow. And TMP made lots of money in its day. So I'm sure there were plenty of fans who said, "look, it made loads of money, so more people think it's great than hate!" And I'm sure the "loud" fans "in the minority" were blamed for those pesky changes that came in TWOK, which are ironically still complained about today as well.

Of the hated films (which no doubt includes all of them), there are fans who voice their reasons for not liking the films. And then others complain. And then some folks on the other side say "why are these jerks complaining?" And then others say "you people will love anything that has Star Trek slapped on the title." And the other side says "you people will hate anything for the sake of hating it." And then some so-called 'haters' will say, "hey wait, I'm not a hater. I love Star Trek, I just didn't like this film for these reasons," to which the other side responds, "why are these jerks STILL complaining?" And the cycle continues...
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 11:40 PM   #154
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
I really don't get why this issue has to be brought up over and over again.
Because new people find fandom - and TrekBBS - every day.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 11:45 PM   #155
Therin of Andor
Admiral

But it was for a version of PotT.

ie. "The first visualization of a saucer separation was conceptualized by Ralph McQuarrie, as he worked on the pre-production of the abandoned 1976-1977 Star Trek: Planet of the Titans project. He stated, 'I had devised a concept for the end of the film...'."
Old October 1 2013, 03:49 AM   #156
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
Ah, hem. The "butthurt" chiming in here.

I think it's pretty safe to say that we're not pissed just disappointed.

Was there really a reason to pull those characters from TWOK?

Abrams didn't seem like he wanted to continue to grow the franchise, but merely take advantage of its successful moments and capitalize on it for his own benefit.

Disappointing.

Glad he went over to Star Wars.
The characters WEREN'T 'pulled from TWoK'; it was essentially a very different take on the TOS episode "Space Seed" - where Marcus and Section 31 found the SS Botany Bay instead of Kirk's crew and the Enterprise (about 10 or so years later to boot.)

Those who think it's a straight rip off of TWoK (IMO) didn't really bother to pay attention to the story being told in the film. Even substituting Admiral Marcus for Admiral Kirk isn't the same because Kahn of STiD had a VERY DIFFERENT relationship and motivation for his actions when compared tio the events in STII:TWoK.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 12:18 PM   #157
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Into Darkness being a Wrath of Khan rip-off is like saying Smallville was a rip-off of Superman I - IV, since they featured many of the same characters, like Clark, Lex, Lois and Zod.

Ditto Man of Steel, come to think of it. Carol and Khan are characters, not a story.
Old October 1 2013, 05:23 PM   #158
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

Khan was a very different character, Carol was a very different character. How they interacted and met was very different. Khan's goals were very different, etc. There was ONE scene that I thought went too far with TWOK references, but that was near the end of the movie. STID is different from TWOK, period. Also, the point of a reboot is to both do new things, but also take old concepts and put new spins on them, which this film did. Saying that JJ can't use Khan is like saying that a Batman reboot can never use the Joker, or a Superman one can never use Lex Luthor, or a Spider Man one can never use the Green Goblin, even if they do different things with those characters. That argument is absurd.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:44 PM   #159
geneo
Lieutenant

Why not open the movie here in the US first, then branch out to other countries..OR open it worldwide on the same day.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:48 PM   #160
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

geneo wrote: View Post
Why not open the movie here in the US first, then branch out to other countries..OR open it worldwide on the same day.
This time around, they were trying to stay out of Iron Man 3's way, which is why it opened Internationally first

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:58 PM   #161
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
This time around, they were trying to stay out of Iron Man 3's way, which is why it opened Internationally first
Plus if I am no mistaken they were a little let down with the ST09 numbers overseas and I think with BC on board they wanted to cater to that audience a bit more as well.

It worked as well.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:59 PM   #162
Jack Frost
Commodore

My opinion of the better video sales for ID over IM3; more people saw IM3 in the theater and felt 'finished' with it while hordes who missed ID in theaters are now catching up. [/speculative theory]
Old October 1 2013, 09:45 PM   #163
Opus
Commodore

Fair assessment.

I know I'm particular with what I see in the theater. STiD was an obvious pick for me to see in theaters, and I have yet to see any of the other summer blockbuster movies. I'm not a theater person. And eventually I'll catch up with them on TV or BluRay Disk.

The next movie I'll catch in theaters is The Hobbit's next installment.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:52 PM   #164
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Why not open the movie here in the US first, then branch out to other countries...
Because last time Paramount and JJ were highly criticised that ST 2009 was somehow a failure - or, at least, a disappointment - at the international box office. So the marketing people created a (successful) strategy that saw the international box offices do extremely well.

OR open it worldwide on the same day.
And then you can't tour the actors around for all the free publicity at the red carpet openings.

Imminent Anterior Aneurysm wrote: View Post
My opinion of the better video sales for ID over IM3; more people saw IM3 in the theater and felt 'finished' with it while hordes who missed ID in theaters are now catching up. [/speculative theory]
Ditto "Nemesis". It created new sales records for the day of release on DVD, IIRC.
Old October 1 2013, 11:55 PM   #165
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

On a related note, because of the disappointing box office performance of STD, Paramount needs to lay off 110 positions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...sitions-639943
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote