Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 1 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Gforce1971
Cadet

Re: JJ Abrams apologizes for lens flare

I really had no problem with the lens flares but, I think this late apology is just a backhanded way to infuriate those petty and mean spirited Trekkies out there that hate his movies just because. It's probably starting to be amusing to Abrams and co. as they count their money and plan the next film lol
Gforce1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Oh for fucks sake. First they apologize for the underwear and now the lighting?!

Next thing it will be the destruction of Vulcan!
"They" didn't apologize for anything...JJ merely admitted that he went too far in a couple of shots with the lens flares.
While he did actually say "I apologize", the point is that he is able to recognize and be aware of his own weaknesses and excess as a film-maker. Such self-awareness can only be good for his future projects.
Old October 1 2013, 04:11 PM   #18
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Gforce1971 wrote: View Post
those petty and mean spirited Trekkies out there that hate his movies just because
As one of those "petty" and "mean spirited" people who refuse to pretend bad filmmaking is good filmmaking, I am pleased to report that Abrams has failed to infuriate me. I actually find the "admitting you're an addict is the first step toward recovery" comment quite funny.

It does make me wonder, though, if Abrams has now birthed a new generation of rabid fandom who will see future movies by other directors and complain: "Where's the trademark lens flare that made the old movies great? This just doesn't feel like Trek to me."
Old October 1 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The lens flares and shaky cam will definitely dating these films the most. The last decade in film and TV consists of truly bad cinematography, hiding behind the term "stylistic device". Shaky cam, over and underexposure, extreme noise, zooming, bad framing of shots. Not something to be proud of.

Decades went into the development of camera stabalization and lens flare reduction techniques. And todays DPs just say "fuck it" and make ugly images intentionally. I hate it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 05:17 PM   #20
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

I couldn't care less about the lens flares. In fact, I never noticed them at all until someone else pointed them out to me, and I still don't care. The fact that something like this has turned into such a massive debate is mind-boggling to me, its such a stupid thing to be arguing about.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Well, I'm glad that you never noticed them. I find them obvious, annoying and distracting.
Old October 1 2013, 07:05 PM   #22
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
As great as it is that he's finally apologized, isn't it rather late?
Eh, there was an interview Abrams did after the last movie, too, in which he acknowledged that he might have overdone the lens-flare effect a bit. It made no difference then, and it makes no difference now. The guy just really, really likes lens flare, and the people who dislike lens flare won't dislike it any less as a result of a published apology or two.

Edited to add links to previous "lens-flare overkill" interviews:

(2009) http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-adm...are-ridiculous

(2011) http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/08/jj-a...lares-super-8/
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:36 PM   #23
geneo
Lieutenant

If the majority of fans dislike it then he should stop it. Please the fans should be #1.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

geneo wrote: View Post
If the majority of fans dislike it then he should stop it. Please the fans should be #1.
No.
Old October 1 2013, 07:45 PM   #25
Jack Frost
Commodore

He knows he cannot use them in Star Wars without drawing comparisons to his Trek so this is a preemptive explanation for their absence in SW.
Old October 1 2013, 08:52 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
No.
Agreed.
Old October 1 2013, 08:53 PM   #27
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Keeper wrote: View Post
He knows he cannot use them in Star Wars without drawing comparisons to his Trek so this is a preemptive explanation for their absence in SW.
He cannot do anything without drawing comparisons to his Trek. You heard it here first.

I'm already looking forward to that. Trek fans complaining about the great stuff in Wars and why he didn't do that in Trek. Or Wars fans complaining why he did do some stuff in Trek and not in Wars. And the complaining why he did the same stuff he did in Trek also in Wars.

Trek Wars. Presented by William Shatner.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 09:49 PM   #28
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Even if it could somehow be shown that the majority of fans did, in fact, dislike the use of lens flare, he should continue to make movies just the way he wants to make them. The fans get to vote afterwards - by choosing to watch or not to watch.

He should also use them in Star Wars. Just because.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
He cannot do anything without drawing comparisons to his Trek. You heard it here first.
That's hardly news, though - it's more or less been the case since May of 2009.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 09:54 PM   #29
SeerSGB
Admiral

Uh, no. You can't give the fans what they want, cause then they'll never be happy till you've catered to them to the point that you've trashed the franchise. Usually what they want is bad for the franchise (see: business). Even if you concede to their wishes, there'd be a very vocal minority that would bitch and complain like spoiled brats.
Old October 2 2013, 05:54 AM   #30
JWPlatt
Commander

Khan444 wrote: View Post
... its such a stupid thing to be arguing about.
So why add to it? Ain't irony great.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote