CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 1 2013, 02:29 AM   #16
Dream
Admiral

Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I suppose it could be interpreted as really meaning most dangerous for the crew, rather than in general. Which would still be debatable. But he was the only one who ever succeeded in actually killing a main character...
Nomad killed Scotty.
Shore Leave Knight killed McCoy.
Deaths only count when they stick.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 02:39 AM   #17
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I suppose it could be interpreted as really meaning most dangerous for the crew, rather than in general. Which would still be debatable. But he was the only one who ever succeeded in actually killing a main character...
Nomad killed Scotty.
Like Spock's?
Old October 1 2013, 02:44 AM   #18
Dream
Admiral

Nomad killed Scotty.
Like Spock's?
Spock coming back definitely lessen the impact of this death.
Old October 1 2013, 02:49 AM   #19
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Like Spock's?
There's always Ilia.
Old October 1 2013, 03:00 AM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They treated the whole Khan thing way too comic book like. Khan is not the Joker, who is a constant enemy of Batman. Khan is just one of many antagonists, and the crew had to face a lot more problems and adventures.

They confronted V'Ger, the Whale Probe and stopped a Klingon-Federation conspiracy. All that was far more dangerous than Khan ever could haved dreamed of being.
Totally agree. I never understood how this myth got started that Khan is Trek's defining villain, the Joker to Kirk's Batman. He was villain of the week in one episode and brought back in one movie. Yes, it was the most popular movie, but it is only one movie. Honestly, I would have thought the Klingons would have been more recognizable and the ones with more merit to be called Trek's "defining villains" and STID should have been about them.
Old October 1 2013, 03:15 AM   #21
Dream
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Honestly, I would have thought the Klingons would have been more recognizable and the ones with more merit to be called Trek's "defining villains" and STID should have been about them.
The Klingons were overused villains in the TOS movies. For most people that watched them, they were nothing special. Khan's rivalry with Kirk was more memorable.
Old October 1 2013, 03:55 AM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Honestly, I would have thought the Klingons would have been more recognizable and the ones with more merit to be called Trek's "defining villains" and STID should have been about them.
The Klingons were overused villains in the TOS movies. For most people that watched them, they were nothing special. Khan's rivalry with Kirk was more memorable.
My point is, walk up to random John Everyman or Average Joe on the street and ask them who the bad guys in Star Trek are. I'm sure more will say "the Klingons" then will say "Khan."
Old October 1 2013, 10:16 AM   #23
grendelsbayne
Commander

Like Spock's?
But they did at least have to work for Spock's resurrection. Every other 'death' was nullified with basically no effort before the episode in question even ended.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:04 AM   #24
starburst
Fleet Captain

Funny the biggest thing I think of when I think of Space Seed is the phrase "I become fatigued" and a week minded crew member constantly switching loyalty.

Most people who dont know much about Star Trek if you asked them wouldnt get further than Klingons and Spock and wouldnt name Khan.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:07 AM   #25
anh165
Commander

As a single character, I'd say it is true that Khan is the most dangerous enemy the crew ever encountered. He took over a federation ship with ease, crippled the Enterprise and tested Kirk right to the end.

And who are we to argue with Spock anyway?
Old October 1 2013, 02:19 PM   #26
Franklin
Rear Admiral

When one thinks about it, in terms of the combination of being brilliant, evil, charismatic, unredeemable, and egomaniacally uncompromising in his pursuits, maybe Khan was the worst they faced. And while the stakes were certainly high with V-ger and the probe in TVH, imagine what Khan and 72 other supermen and superwomen like him could've done running amok around the alpha quadrant with the Enterprise if they had taken it in "Space Seed", or if Khan had revived his people and captured the Vengeance in STID.

Edited to add: Spock may also think that because he's someone who would generally admire and appreciate great intellect in a person, but he saw it going to waste in Khan.
Old October 1 2013, 02:25 PM   #27
Noddy
Captain

Characters like General Chang were more dangerous opponents, IMO, as they at least fully understood starship battle tactics, and Chang's actions, had he succeeded, would have devastated the entire galaxy. Khan is really defeated quite easily in "Space Seed" and in TWOK, where Kirk basically kicks the crap out of Khan in the final act with comparatively minimal damage to the Enterprise.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 03:08 PM   #28
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

anh165 wrote: View Post
As a single character, I'd say it is true that Khan is the most dangerous enemy the crew ever encountered. He took over a federation ship with ease, crippled the Enterprise and tested Kirk right to the end.

So did space-hippies. Doesn't mean they should get a movie.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 03:13 PM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post

So did space-hippies. Doesn't mean they should get a movie.
Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea. The hippy songs can be performed by pop stars thereby giving another outlet for the movie's promotion. Just think "Long, long time ago. When the galaxy was still new" performed by Justin Bieber. Instant chart topper for weeks.
Old October 1 2013, 03:44 PM   #30
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Even Soran was more dangerous. He was only defeated by forming a tag-team and then literally going back in time to before he won and even then he still killed Kirk.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote