Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1 2013, 04:13 AM   #301
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Plus, I know how the Extremis-powered villains at the end were supposed to be uber and all that but plenty of the JARVIS-powered suits were just shredded by their bare hands. I dunno - compared to taking on a tank in the first film the suits just seemed weaker this go-round.
The Extremis soldiers weren't using just their enhanced strength on the Armors, they were also using their heat generation powers too. That was what was carving the suits more than anything else. We never saw Tony facing off with anyone that could generate melting heat before. Heck, one major weakness of the armor in the first film was dealing with extreme cold.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:42 PM   #302
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Plus, I know how the Extremis-powered villains at the end were supposed to be uber and all that but plenty of the JARVIS-powered suits were just shredded by their bare hands. I dunno - compared to taking on a tank in the first film the suits just seemed weaker this go-round.
The Extremis soldiers weren't using just their enhanced strength on the Armors, they were also using their heat generation powers too. That was what was carving the suits more than anything else. We never saw Tony facing off with anyone that could generate melting heat before. Heck, one major weakness of the armor in the first film was dealing with extreme cold.
Yeah, and it was enough to force Rhodey out. Good point.
Old October 2 2013, 08:53 AM   #303
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Plus they were being flown on remote control without an actual human pilot inside, so the suits weren't really being flown with self preservation in mind. They were drone tanks for all intents and purposes. Target, fire and attack were their primary mission goals, avoiding being hit wasn't really a huge factor.

Plus, the Marks 3-7 were about as strong as these other suits really, they took a lot of damage and the only thing that kept them flying (besides plot) was that Tony was inside doing what he could to keep them going, diverting power, boosting shields or whatever and other stuff, why would he say things like that if JARVIS could do it all automatically, JARVIS can't.

Plus it was clear that the heat they generated was extremely extremely hot and more than enough to cut through an empty suit or even a worn suit without much effort. Hot knife through butter.

Although one thing that I am rather... well curious about... if all or most of his other suits could be deployed and worn by them simply opening around him, without needing the whole process we saw in the first 3 Iron Man appearances, what was the real point of the Mark 42? Sure each piece could be controlled and deployed with gestures and thought and could be completely independent, but we saw other suits doing similar things. Plus they just opened up around him like his Avengers suit and later Rhodey's suit and all the others.

I mean the 42 I suppose was just yet another prototype he was playing with, but even so didn't really seem super necessary once he figured out some of the key things that made his other suits more of a chore to wear.

No longer needing to use his own arc reactor for power - they all presumably had their own now. They were able to be worn without the helper arms. And they could now be entirely piloted by JARVIS so if he needed another suit, he just had to call for it.

I still think he had more than one armory than the wine cellar suits we saw. I'll bet there's another armory in NYC - even if it's only variations of the Mark 7/8.
Old October 2 2013, 03:09 PM   #304
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nick Ryder wrote:
Plus it was clear that the heat they generated was extremely extremely hot and more than enough to cut through an empty suit or even a worn suit without much effort. Hot knife through butter.
What isn't clear is why the Extremis agents' own body parts aren't similarly destroyed by all that heat.

Movie "logic", I guess...
Old October 2 2013, 03:36 PM   #305
Dream
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Nick Ryder wrote:
What isn't clear is why the Extremis agents' own body parts aren't similarly destroyed by all that heat.

It's comic book logic. They needed villains to be a huge threat to Iron Man. They actually made them less powerful than their comic book versions.

These were the Extremis powers from the comics:

Original Extremis

The original Extremis serum gives its user:

* Superhuman Strength: An Extremis subject's strength can be increased to superhuman levels, providing the user enough strength to toss cars and people with relative ease[5], break someone's skull with a single punch[6], counter Iron Man's superhuman physical blows[5], break Iron Man's bones with ease through the suit, rip the highly durable suit apart without effort[5], and even use the "blade" of a bulldozer as a blunt force object.[2]
* Superhuman Speed: An Extremis subject can move and run at incredible speeds up to 300mph,[5], although it is unknown if this is the top speed an Extremis subject can move at.
* Superhuman Stamina: The nanobots provided Mallen with almost unlimited stamina, with no need to eat, drink or breathe air.[5]
* Superhuman Durability: Extremis-enhanced beings have greater resistance to physical injury than an ordinary human. They are able to withstand bullet impacts and direct fire of Repulsor Blasts without feeling pain, at a potency higher than which a Repulsor Blast needs to have to cut through metal, only suffering minor wounds.[5] Iron Man's uni-beam only caused Mallen great discomfort without injury.[7]
* Fire-Breathing: At the user's discretion, his/her lungs fill with fire plasma which he/she can exhale through his/her mouth. Mallen torched a lobby full of people through this method.[6]
* Claw-like pincers: An Extremis subject can unsheathe stings from his/her fingertips. They are very durable, and in conjunction with super-strength, they can be used by the Extremis subject to claw through a converter box.[5]
* Electrical discharge: Extremis-enhanced beings are able to discharge extremely powerful electrical currents through his/her hands which seemed to emanate from his chest through his arms.[5]
* Healing Factor: Extremis-enhaced beings can also heal wounds at a incredible speed, in a matter of hours.[7]
http://marvel.wikia.com/Extremis_virus
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:01 PM   #306
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Nick Ryder wrote:

Watched it again last night and during the 'march of the JARVIS suits' two Extremis peeps clearly rip the head off one of the suits w/o any heat powers. Meshes with the above...
Old October 3 2013, 08:39 PM   #307
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Well, apparently Extremis can make the host body immune to heat. By... umm... er.... insulation? What insulation? Transfering the heat? Where? Regeneration? With what source of matter?

It's just magic.

I don't mind suspending my disbelief, but that doesn't extend to making something out of nothing with an unlimited energy source powered by fantasy.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 08:59 PM   #308
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I just assumed it altered the composition of the body's DNA or whatever so as to make it a form of energy. Or magic, as you put it!
Old October 3 2013, 09:03 PM   #309
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I just assumed it altered the composition of the body's DNA or whatever so as to make it a form of energy. Or magic, as you put it!
Sure, but energy expended has to come from somewhere.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:33 PM   #310
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Um - the Force?
Old October 3 2013, 10:39 PM   #311
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Clearly you're not familiar with comic book physics.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 05:55 AM   #312
Anwar
Vice Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Same place Cyclops gets the power for those Optic Blasts, and Wolverine gets the power to regenerate without eating a lot or whatever.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 12:17 PM   #313
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Does anyone know about an Iron Man trilogy box for blu ray? Or a complete Avenger films box? I don't have any of the films and it would be neat to get them all at once.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:37 PM   #314
Dream
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Does anyone know about an Iron Man trilogy box for blu ray? Or a complete Avenger films box? I don't have any of the films and it would be neat to get them all at once.
No Iron Man trilogy set has been released. Kind of surrpised they didn't do one.

There is an Avengers Bluray set, but it only contains the movies and no extras. It has Iron Man all the way to the Avengers.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:49 PM   #315
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Maybe they'll put out an Iron Man trilogy set for the holiday season?