Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 30 2013, 05:00 PM   #106
diankra
Commodore

Re: Why the lack of Classic characters?

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I have no doubt that Moffat cares a lot about Doctor Who.
Straightforward proof of that is that he was a regular at the first Thursday fan get together at the Fitzroy Tavern from the mid-1990s, and when the rest of the fans who were working on the new series stopped going around 2005, he carried on (memorable quote, when people were discussing The Girl in the Fireplace a week before its transmission: "Good god, is there anyone in this pub who hasn't already seen a preview disc?"), right up until the moment he got the showrunner's job (despite people virtually pinning him to a wall and pointing a desklamp in his eyes to demand that he tell them if he was getting the job: "If I was asked I'd have to think about it."). Even since then he's turned up a few times (last November, most recently). You don't do that unless you love the show...
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:16 PM   #107
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ That's pretty neat!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 10:40 PM   #108
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Personally, I think Moffatt is showing respect by NOT including all those previous Doctors. They are the show's past, not its future. He's arguably shown more respect to what's come before than any previous producer, and I think he wants to preserve that legacy by leaving those great Doctors to be remembered the way they were, rather than shoehorning them into an episode for the sake of doing so - even if a servicable story could be written for it, and we know he's plenty capable of that too.

Still, he's been known to surprise us, and I think he still will here - even if there's SOME way to work past characters in. The utter disappointment of the "stings" this weekend (and man, did it sting) just makes the wait all the more unbearable, and with an impending regeneration also coming in mere months, being nice and comfortable with all sorts of fanwank like old Doctors and a current one with no hint of leaving is the last thing we need.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 03:36 AM   #109
The Wormhole
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
But the Two Doctors was terrible!
I don't know, I thought it was the best of Colin Baker's first season.
Old October 1 2013, 03:58 AM   #110
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
But the Two Doctors was terrible!
I don't know, I thought it was the best of Colin Baker's first season.
It's like saying that sarcomas are the best kind of cancer.
Old October 1 2013, 05:43 AM   #111
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ No, it's not like that at all.
Old October 1 2013, 08:57 AM   #112
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The Two Doctors isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either - and as a follow-up of Holmes after The Caves of Androzani, its pretty underwhelming. Plus, a lot of it is really, really boring. Its incredible, but it is. I like to think that if those three episodes were edited down to 25 minutes, they'd be more entertaining. The 45 minute format hurt the show back then.

Of course, the biggest plus about it was Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor, who had substantially more to do than he did in The Five Doctors (still not a lot, though). AND, with Frazier Hines as Jamie, no less. The first half of the first episode is really neat.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 09:15 AM   #113
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I caught it on UK Gold or one of those channels a few years ago. Enjoyed the moments with Troughton and Hines and it's always nice to see two Doctors interacting (even if only briefly) but it wasn't an especially good story, by any means.
Old October 1 2013, 01:53 PM   #114
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
The Two Doctors isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either - and as a follow-up of Holmes after The Caves of Androzani, its pretty underwhelming. Plus, a lot of it is really, really boring. Its incredible, but it is. I like to think that if those three episodes were edited down to 25 minutes, they'd be more entertaining. The 45 minute format hurt the show back then.

Of course, the biggest plus about it was Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor, who had substantially more to do than he did in The Five Doctors (still not a lot, though). AND, with Frazier Hines as Jamie, no less. The first half of the first episode is really neat.
The best parts of the Two Doctors were the first 2 episodes, adding the third part made it feel padded. The beginning was exceptional.

I suspect that they kept Baker and Troughton separated so much was because Colin couldn't act his way out of a paper bag (nice guy that he is) and Troughton was phenomenal.

But, the concept of just taking a regular episode of the season and getting a classic Doctor and companion is one that is totally doable today, even more so.

And, of course, they'd need a good story. No premise, no matter how good, can survive a poor story and a poor execution. I'd also add that just being a regular episode of a season, rather than a special story, reduces the stakes and expectations.

Mr Awe