CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old September 30 2013, 10:48 PM   #91
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post

Good grief, all because the guy has vaguely brown skin. Get over it, man.
Being likewise British, I have no horse in this race. But this ^^^ is the part that always blows my mind. The sheer contortions that so much of the US citizenship puts themselves through to justify claiming that Obama has no right to be president, from the toothless redneck on the trailer park to the Republican wingnut in Congress. And all because they just can't handle there being a black guy in charge.

It's been five years, for fuck's sake. He won. You lost. Let it go.
There are plenty of us in the US who totally agree with you.
Old September 30 2013, 10:53 PM   #92
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I thought this thread was talking about the ACA. I was hoping maybe to learn more about it in this thread. I guess that's not going to happen. I actually don't like Obama as much as I did before, but this birth certificate thing is one of the most asinine crap reasons for hating him that I know. It really is time to get over that.
What do you want to know about the ACA? Some of us here are quite familiar with it, Watner just derailed the thread into silly Birther nonsense.
Old September 30 2013, 10:54 PM   #93
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Being likewise British, I have no horse in this race. But this ^^^ is the part that always blows my mind.
In the interest of full disclosure, Italy is not without its issues, too. Last year the new head of government appointed our first black minister (CÚcile Kyenge, Minister for Integration and International Cooperation). Some people went completely apeshit about it, including some politicians (which had already been pretty unhinged, but still), calling her racist names and arguing she wasn't worthy to be an Italian citizen, let alone a Minister of the Republic. She shrugged it off, but it was really shameful to witness. So I'm not going to cast the first stone against the whole US for it. There are racist people everywhere: sometimes they are just louder and more idiotic than other times.
Old September 30 2013, 11:16 PM   #94
MacLeod
Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

Being likewise British, I have no horse in this race. But this ^^^ is the part that always blows my mind. The sheer contortions that so much of the US citizenship puts themselves through to justify claiming that Obama has no right to be president, from the toothless redneck on the trailer park to the Republican wingnut in Congress. And all because they just can't handle there being a black guy in charge.

Well it might also be a case of a Black Democrat being in charge. But perhaps rather than bitch and moan about it how about doing something radical like you know finding a suitable candidate that can appeal to the majority of Americans in order to win the next Presidential Election in 2016.

The more you bitch and moan about something the more like petulant children you sound. As for members of congress that behave like that, you are supposed to be statesmen act like it. You'll earn more respect from the electorate.

Thankfully as a Brit American Congressmen and women don't have to court my vote.

Oh and just to add, I actually had to google this the UK's first Black Cabinet Minister

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Boateng

Don't recall any controversy
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old September 30 2013, 11:21 PM   #95
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I thought this thread was talking about the ACA. I was hoping maybe to learn more about it in this thread. I guess that's not going to happen. I actually don't like Obama as much as I did before, but this birth certificate thing is one of the most asinine crap reasons for hating him that I know. It really is time to get over that.
What do you want to know about the ACA? Some of us here are quite familiar with it, Watner just derailed the thread into silly Birther nonsense.
I guess the thing I wanted to know the most is I already have Health Insurance, but the letter I got in the mail this weekend says that because of the ACA, that Health Insurance I have can no longer be offered. I called up my Health Insurance company today to find out the prices and some options I have come 2014, and the only thing I found out is that my rates are going to rise again, I'm not qualified for subsidy, and if I don't get a New health Insurance plan, than I have to pay a penalty.

Granted, I know not everything is going to make me happy, but how exactly is the ACA going to benefit me exactly? How is paying $300 a month for health insurance when I'm already paying a cheaper rate now affordable and why does this new law affect what I get now to the point that it can no longer be offered. I thought ACA was about providing health care insurance for everyone, yet for those who have it, they are back to being "free agents" as it were. Why?
Old September 30 2013, 11:23 PM   #96
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

I'd say the vast majority of Americans do. Only a small, lunatic racist fringe keep going on about it. Sadly a few of them are in positions of power. But they're wasting their time having pretend votes to get rid of the ACA instead of maintaining a functioning government. So hopefully they'll get kicked out of office in the next election for being idiots.
Old September 30 2013, 11:30 PM   #97
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

So the Republicans well the tea baggers anyway are saying the majority of Americans don't want Obamacare yet he won the 2012 election with a bigger margin than either of George W. Bush's victories (where Republicans claimed he had a mandate for his polices though they denied Obama had mandate).

The Demorats retained control of the Senate and picked up more votes nation wide in the Congressional races but weren't able to pick up seats due to gerrymandering.

And the U.S voters didn't want this policy? Surely then they would have voted for Romney to save them from it and given the GOP control of the Senate?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old September 30 2013, 11:37 PM   #98
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

Marc wrote: View Post
So the Republicans well the tea baggers anyway are saying the majority of Americans don't want Obamacare yet he won the 2012 election with a bigger margin than either of George W. Bush's victories (where Republicans claimed he had a mandate for his polices though they denied Obama had mandate).

The Demorats retained control of the Senate and picked up more votes nation wide in the Congressional races but weren't able to pick up seats due to gerrymandering.

And the U.S voters didn't want this policy? Surely then they would have voted for Romney to save them from it and given the GOP control of the Senate?
The American people don't know what's best for them. That's why the GOP has to force it down our throats. Even though they created it originally and are only against it because Obama supported it.

We clearly have a problem with healthcare in America. But do they have a solution? No, they just don't want Obama to get credit if the ACA works well. That's it. What's best for the people and the country isn't important, it's all about who gets points over it. They would set the country on fire if they thought it would make Obama look bad.
Old September 30 2013, 11:40 PM   #99
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I guess the thing I wanted to know the most is I already have Health Insurance, but the letter I got in the mail this weekend says that because of the ACA, that Health Insurance I have can no longer be offered. I called up my Health Insurance company today to find out the prices and some options I have come 2014, and the only thing I found out is that my rates are going to rise again, I'm not qualified for subsidy, and if I don't get a New health Insurance plan, than I have to pay a penalty.

Granted, I know not everything is going to make me happy, but how exactly is the ACA going to benefit me exactly? How is paying $300 a month for health insurance when I'm already paying a cheaper rate now affordable and why does this new law affect what I get now to the point that it can no longer be offered. I thought ACA was about providing health care insurance for everyone, yet for those who have it, they are back to being "free agents" as it were. Why?
The purpose of the ACA is to make health insurance more accessible and affordable, particularly for those who could not previously afford it (or who could not get it at any price.) It also set new minimum standards for what plans can be offered, which is why some plans are no longer available and why many plans have gone up in cost. Whatever increases are attributable to the ACA are due to the better benefits that must be offered. So, if you are going from $233 a month to $300, you're getting more services at $300 than you did at $233. Whether you use them or not is up to you, but that's the idea.

Some people are going to have to pay more, but that's just how it goes. Increases were happening across the board before the ACA was passed, too. It's an ongoing problem and one that will likely take additional legislative action to address, if we could ever hope for any.
Old September 30 2013, 11:42 PM   #100
MacLeod
Admiral

Well surely the test abot PPACA can come in the 2014 mid-terms. If it as unpopular as certain members of the Republic party say it is. Just have you candidates number one pledge be to repeal the PPACA.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old October 1 2013, 12:09 AM   #101
propita
Rear Admiral

I tried that link. We get no subsidy.

Fortunately, we got a letter from my husband's employer that, yes, we're covered and the plan meets the standards. That's what happens when someone works for a large employer.
Old October 1 2013, 01:58 AM   #102
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Wow. The OP just completely derailed his own thread. Impressive.
The sad thing is the thread was being somewhat useful before that point.
Old October 1 2013, 02:32 AM   #103
Alex1939
Captain

Hopefully this horrible horrible policy will be blocked and eventually stopped from every happening. Absolute terrible entitlement that will have a significant role in crippling this country.

Make no mistake, this will help lead towards a worse future for Americans and humankind.
Old October 1 2013, 02:50 AM   #104
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Hopefully this horrible horrible policy will be blocked and eventually stopped from every happening. Absolute terrible entitlement that will have a significant role in crippling this country.

Make no mistake, this will help lead towards a worse future for Americans and humankind.
And millions being denied coverage isn't heading towards the worst possible future?

How about situations where health insurers retroactively cancel an insurance policy after the surgery has taken place leaving the patient out of pocket (As one poster on this board can attest).

Maybe you should do some reading before you post again becasue there are millions in Canada, the U.K, Australia, Scandinavia etc etc who have universal health coverage and guess what - we're not suffering for it and we have a lot better health than many many many Americans.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old October 1 2013, 03:08 AM   #105
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Alex1939 wrote: View Post

You could not possibly be more wrong.

I'll just leave this here.
Closed Thread