RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,195
Posts: 5,345,596
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 656
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 30 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain
 
Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

In Star Trek Into Darkness, Spock Prime warns his younger self that Khan Noonien Singh was the most dangerous adversary that he and the rest of the crew of the original USS Enterprise in the prime reality ever faced. But was he really? In my opinion, Khan didn't really amount to a hell of a lot; Kirk Prime seemed to defeat him quite easily in TWOK, maybe some might say too easily.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

The guy who died to save the crew from Khan would call him their most dangerous enemy!
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:41 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

They treated the whole Khan thing way too comic book like. Khan is not the Joker, who is a constant enemy of Batman. Khan is just one of many antagonists, and the crew had to face a lot more problems and adventures.

They confronted V'Ger, the Whale Probe and stopped a Klingon-Federation conspiracy. All that was far more dangerous than Khan ever could haved dreamed of being.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They treated the whole Khan thing way too comic book like. Khan is not the Joker, who is a constant enemy of Batman. Khan is just one of many antagonists, and the crew had to face a lot more problems and adventures.

They confronted V'Ger, the Whale Probe and stopped a Klingon-Federation conspiracy. All that was far more dangerous than Khan ever could haved dreamed of being.
Gotta agree with you on that. But it goes all the way back to TWOK and the fans going Boba Fett with Khan. Over the years Khan's rep has been inflated into him being the only true nemesis of the Enterprise crew. When the reality is that he was never much more of a threat than any of the other one of villains in the episodes.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)

Last edited by SeerSGB; October 1 2013 at 12:43 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:46 PM   #5
grendelsbayne
Commander
 
grendelsbayne's Avatar
 
Location: Netherlands
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

I suppose it could be interpreted as really meaning most dangerous for the crew, rather than in general. Which would still be debatable. But he was the only one who ever succeeded in actually killing a main character...
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:50 PM   #6
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

The Enterprise also encountered multiple near-omnipotent beings in the original run of the show. Khan was hardly their most dangerous enemy... but he was probably the most interesting human-scale threat they faced.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

BigJake wrote: View Post
The Enterprise also encountered multiple near-omnipotent beings in the original run of the show. Khan was hardly their most dangerous enemy... but he was probably the most interesting human-scale threat they faced.
I wonder if there's a deleted scene from Space Seed where, unlike with cosmic beings and soulless androids, Kirk's plan to seduce Khan somehow failed.
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 11:54 PM   #8
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I wonder if there's a deleted scene from Space Seed where, unlike with cosmic beings and soulless androids, Kirk's plan to seduce Khan somehow failed.
A Khan/Kirk slash just waiting to be written...
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 12:30 AM   #9
drt
Commander
 
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
But it goes all the way back to TWOK and the fans going Boba Fett with Khan. Over the years Khan's rep has been inflated into him being the only turn nemesis of the Enterprise crew. When the reality is that he was never much more of a threat than any of the other one of villains in the episodes.
I concur.

Shoot, when I saw TWOK, Star Trek hadn't been on in syndication where I lived for several years, and I didn't even remember who Khan was until Chekov found the Botany Bay thing. I remembered villians like Trelane, Nomad, Kor, Koloth and Kang much better by name (in fact, after seeing the TV commercial for TWOK, I recall thinking "Khan" would be some new Klingon villian).
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 12:48 AM   #10
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The guy who died to save the crew from Khan would call him their most dangerous enemy!
Yup!

Khan was probably the only one who had it in for them personally aside from Janice Lester and she didn't have the Genesis device in her hand.

I hope nuSpock doesn't think he can relax now - now that they've 'defeated' their greatest enemy.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:07 AM   #11
OpenMaw
Commander
 
OpenMaw's Avatar
 
Location: Everett, Washington
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Personally I don't even think he was the most interesting villain they faced in TOS. Kor, Kang, Trelane, and The Romulan Commander had a lot more pathos and depth, imho.

None of them made it into a feature of their own, though. I still think it would have been great fun if it had been Kor in TSFS instead of Krudge.
__________________
"Paradise protests too much." SFDebris
OpenMaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:16 AM   #12
OpenMaw
Commander
 
OpenMaw's Avatar
 
Location: Everett, Washington
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

I keep hitting back to go to the main forum index and double posting. Sorry, folks.
__________________
"Paradise protests too much." SFDebris

Last edited by OpenMaw; October 1 2013 at 04:47 AM.
OpenMaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:56 AM   #13
austen_pierce
Commander
 
austen_pierce's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They treated the whole Khan thing way too comic book like. Khan is not the Joker, who is a constant enemy of Batman. Khan is just one of many antagonists, and the crew had to face a lot more problems and adventures.

They confronted V'Ger, the Whale Probe and stopped a Klingon-Federation conspiracy. All that was far more dangerous than Khan ever could haved dreamed of being.
Something about this doesn't quite sit right. V'Ger and the Probe were presented as threats, yes, but ultimately just mysteries to be solved. Neither was outright malevolent.

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I suppose it could be interpreted as really meaning most dangerous for the crew, rather than in general. Which would still be debatable. But he was the only one who ever succeeded in actually killing a main character...
Definite yes on the indirect killing of a major character. BUT Khan's potential menace extends beyond the crew. Once he is able to avenge himself upon Kirk, his designs are to once again conquer pretty much everything.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:58 AM   #14
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Khan wasn't the most dangerous, he was the typical villain in TOS played by a good actor.

It was only because of TWOK that his fame grew. He is definitely the most popular TOS villain though.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 02:09 AM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I suppose it could be interpreted as really meaning most dangerous for the crew, rather than in general. Which would still be debatable. But he was the only one who ever succeeded in actually killing a main character...
Nomad killed Scotty.
Shore Leave Knight killed McCoy.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.