Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 30 2013, 06:22 PM   #736
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Dear Internet,

You are full of idiots and assholes.

Love, 005
I don't see a problem with that. Most of them weren't that bad just pointing out how you can end a show well and not like LOST.
Except that is all subjective opinion and not some sort of fact delivered in a courtroom setting... I love the finale for "Lost", so in my opinion they did everything right with it. "Lost" is a completely different type of series than "Breaking Bad", one with a "faith vs. science" debate and a massive cast of characters, and therefore doesn't need the same type of closure. You might as well say that "The Sopranos" needed a finale more similar to the end of "Cheers".

Each of these long running series display different tones, styles and storytelling structures, thus they each require a finale that represents that specific show. There is no one, single way to end a series, otherwise it would have been patented by now and we'd see the same thing all the time... which would be boring, by the way. And just because you didn't enjoy the "Lost" finale is not the fault of those who created it. They needed to tell the story that they wanted to tell and that's it. It's presented to an audience, it works for some and not for others, that is the result of all art. Even some people don't like "Citizen Kane", but is it worth bad-mouthing Orson Welles over it?
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:28 PM   #737
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I was a fan of LOST and thought the finale, and the finale season was complete shit.

So what's the problem with people pointing out their POVs? I don't get it, most were actually more funny than mean.
Old September 30 2013, 06:38 PM   #738
Jax
Admiral

A fitting way to end the show IMO...A low key 45 minutes before the superb last 15 minutes and overall it did everything it needed too. Breaking Bad will no doubt go down as one of the greatest shows in TV history and Vince and co

cheers for the ride
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:39 PM   #739
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

I was a fan of LOST and thought the finale, and the finale season was complete shit.

So what's the problem with people pointing out their POVs? I don't get it, most were actually more funny than mean.
The problem is that they attack the creators on a personal level, which is uncalled for. They act like petulant children who think they were promised a pony for their birthday and didn't get it, when in fact no such promise was ever made. They lash out at Lindelof and Cuse personally for somehow not meeting their own individual demands for a show, when it's impossible to meet every single audience member's demands.

If I don't like a TV show or movie, I don't then blame the creators for somehow failing me, I simply understand the fact that I am not the perfect audience for all entertainment, it is not all crafted to my specific likes & tastes. I understand the fact that the person sitting next to me might enjoy that same TV show or movie that I didn't and since we viewed the exact same entertainment and it worked for them, then the only variable is me. But I then don't go online and trash the creators of shows and movies for somehow, inexplicably not crafting a piece of entertainment that I am guaranteed to enjoy. It's just immature.
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:48 PM   #740
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I agree with your sentiment about civility. Too much has been lost in the internet age. Looking at how the shows were ended, however, is a different story entirely.

IMO, Lost and NuBSG both suffered from an odd writing style and a certain level of mismanagement. They tried to cram too many cool/spiritual/philosophical/whiz bang things for them to live up to their own hype in the end. The show-runners alone were responsible for the expectations they set during the course of their shows and I don't think it's terribly unreasonable for the fans to expect a higher standard of an ending to match the bar set for the rest of the show. Sopranos went even farther and treated us all to a non-ending after years of major hiatuses and half-seasons - the very height of pretentiousness. Hell, at least Lost and NuBSG made an attempt to have some kind of closure, no matter how meager. Sopranos never even tried - if ever there was reason to threaten bodily harm to a show runner, that would have been it! I jest, of course, but still, don't cock-tease your fanbase throughout many years of set-up and loyal following, only to walk out without the happy ending (or any ending at all)! Some people will always react viscerally to something they feel like they have a vested interest in, particularly if they feel like they were kicked in the nuts like some of the fore-mentioned shows. What they don't realize, is that not every ending can be a M*A*S*H "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" or TNG "All Good Things".
Old September 30 2013, 06:54 PM   #741
Ryan8bit
Commodore

marillion wrote: View Post
Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
I will definitely be making that ASAP.
Me too... Of course, we like tourists to come to ABQ and buy it here..

The Candy Lady

She also has a section in the story where she sells "naughty candy" suitable for, well, more adult candy fans..
We made that at our BB party that we had, as well as cupcakes with blue stuff on them. Also, we had fried chicken with a Los Pollos Hermanos label made on it (it was actually KFC), and Green beans. It was pretty fun to do all that themed stuff.

I have pretty much all the same thoughts on the finale as everyone else and not much new to say. Except for that it's fun to see the people who were so adamant about certain predictions be wrong. Such as those who insisted that the ricin was for Walt (that just never really made any sense at all), or that Gretchen and Elliot wouldn't be any kind of target for Walt. Even though some things in this episode were a lot more predictable than usual, it just goes to show that it was still very nice to have a show that wasn't as predictable as all that.

As far as the Damon Lindelof thing, that is a shitty thing to do, whatever your opinions of him. I actually said to my wife while watching Talking Bad that he was once on Talking Dead, and that it would have been interesting if he were on this last finale because I didn't think Lost was wrapped up well. But that's a far cry from going on to his twitter to harass him for it. He doesn't deserve that.

It's true that Lost was a different kind of show that deserves a different kind of ending than Breaking Bad, just like Vince Gilligan said about the Sopranos. But I don't think the last season of Lost was wrapped up suitably for what it was or what the show set out to be. Breaking Bad absolutely did that in spades, and that's great. I think the first thing that I remember feeling gratified by in watching it was that things were paid off soon and that you weren't left hanging just to keep you tuning in. You kept tuning in because the characters and stories were actually engaging and sensible.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:55 PM   #742
billcosby
Commodore

I give up on civility on the net years ago.
Any-hoos, there's some interesting discussion a bit before the finale aired, in this thread, about how television will be difficult to enjoy now. Compared to what BB became, what's to come will pale by comparison.

I think the opposite will happen. For years this show will be studied for its creation and cultural impact. There was a great reference to the story in BB sticking perfectly together like Lego bricks and I love that analogy... there was never any wasted time in BB, no characters fluffed up for no reason, it was a lean and chemically addictive bit of storytelling that should, if anything, help people get it right in the future with time-wasting character development for characters that have no business being in the story.

It is also kind of an irony... meth is highly addictive, Breaking Bad is also highly addictive. Coincidence, or brilliant planning?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:56 PM   #743
Mojochi
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Thought it was a great ending, and yet.....

Part of me was kinda hoping for something a bit more messy and chaotic for the final episode. As cool as it was seeing Walter orchestrate his plan and out-think everybody one last time, it almost seemed like he was TOO much in control (the only time he had to scramble at all was when his keys got taken away).

I think I would have preferred to see him be more of the desperate and frazzled Walt at the end, and a bit less of the calm and confident Heisenberg.
Isn't that the point though? "Chemistry is the study of transformation!"
Witnessing the change from him being a man at the beginning in his underwear, spinning out of control in his life of chaos, to the end, being a man who for his finale has mastered a life of chaos & can include anyone in it he wants, even Elliot & Gretchen
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:57 PM   #744
Jaron
Captain

If I bake you a cake and it tastes awful, it's perfectly fine for you say "Man, this cake tastes awful." You could be a bit more tactful, but it's a legitimate criticism. Calling me up years later out of the blue and saying "I just had the best cake ever. It's so much better than that shitty cake you made."? That's always going to make you look like a jerk, no matter how terrible my cake was.
Jaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:05 PM   #745
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Dear Internet,

Love, 005
I don't see a problem with that. Most of them weren't that bad just pointing out how you can end a show well and not like LOST.

Yes, how careless of me not to think about the egregious and hurtful blight the LOST finale visited upon your life, so heinous and terrible that you are reeling from it three years later.

These must be truly terrifying times for you. How do you manage?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:05 PM   #746
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

TV's Frank wrote: View Post
Dear Internet,

Love, 005
Oy vey, it's really time that the internet had an enema, as I am so sick of its overwhelming hateful, rude population.
Me as well.
Old September 30 2013, 07:12 PM   #747
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Anybody else feel sorry for Bryan Cranston now?

Cause he's NEVER getting a role this good again. Just never.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:26 PM   #748
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I thought the Lost ending was ok, like a C. People over-hate it because they wanted somebody to step aside and expound on exactly what the island was and answer every single question the series ever had explicitly instead of answering it through implication and metaphor like they did. I liked the ending on the island, I just hated the resolution to the flash-sideways. It was by no means a bad ending, just...not entirely satisfying.

One thing that's interesting about the ending is that Walt got to protect the legend of Heisenberg. Heisenberg went out in a blaze of glory, and now he's a criminal legend. In the BB universe, movies will be made about Heisenberg for decades that win Oscars.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:36 PM   #749
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

The Lost finale was perfect for the series that Lost was and always had been. That the finale was not perfect for everyone who watched it is not the fault of the writers of the show.

I myself was perfectly satisfied by it, the same way I was for the finale of Battlestar and with last night's finale for Breaking Bad.
Old September 30 2013, 07:44 PM   #750
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I agree the island side of the ending was good but the flash-sideways resolution was stupid.

But it is really stupid how vitriolic people get about TV shows. "Oh NOES, the hours of entertainment I got for free didn't end exactly the way I wanted to. The person who provided all that free entertainment is EVIL for basing his creative decisions on his own vision instead of granting all my personal wishes! I HAVE BEEN PERSONALLY SLIGHTED!"

The producer of Lost should go to the workplaces of all the people who are making those comments on Twitter and say "UGH, what an awful burger, you're a TERRIBLE fry cook!" Or, go to their parents' basements and say "My god you suck at Halo." Like the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote