RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,447
Posts: 5,507,914
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 485
Newest member: xunixan

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old September 30 2013, 02:34 PM   #46
Shilliam Watner
Commander
 
Location: In linear time
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Oh, and fuck Shilliam Watner. It was awesome to see everyone dismiss him in his Obamacare thread. Fucking clown.
Why the hostility?
Sorry, the sentiment was genuine, but it was uncalled for in this forum. I apologize for that and have edited my post. If you'd like no-holds-barred discussion of this issue, please come to TNZ.

Otherwise, you'll have to settle for my relatively polite disagreement here.
What and where is TNZ?
Shilliam Watner is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 02:37 PM   #47
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

IndyJones wrote: View Post
That absolutely can't be true.

If you're making little enough that you could qualify for Medicaid, then there's a good chance that you'll qualify for a subsidy to help with the premium.
As others have pointed out, there's a gap in the coverage scheme that was supposed to be covered by expanded Medicaid (the cost of the expansion is currently covered almost entirely by the federal government). However, the result of Florida v. Department of Health and Human Services ruled that the consequence of accepting the Medicaid expansion cannot be denial of all existing medicaid funding. Because of that, there's less incentive to accept medicaid expansion. Therefore, many have chosen not to do so. Because of that, individuals in this situation are stuck without subsidies or government-provided insurance. They might be better off paying the penalty, which, as it's tied to income, would be presumably low. But that's obviously not the intended plan.

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
This doesn't apply to me, either, because I'm covered by my husband's employer. But I sure wish we had the Affordable Care Act when I was single, because I had to rely on family to help me out. If I was single NOW, I wouldn't be able to get or afford coverage because of my preexisting health problems. With this plan, I could probably swing it, if I had to.
How do you feel about the mandatory fines?
They aren't all that mandatory. It's more of a mandatory withholding of tax refunds to pay the additional taxes. Under the current law, you can never have more than your refund garnished for failure to pay the no insurance penalty. Of course, if you don't pay the rest of your taxes, then you'll have serious consequences, so I'd recommend doing that.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 03:03 PM   #48
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Why the hostility?
Sorry, the sentiment was genuine, but it was uncalled for in this forum. I apologize for that and have edited my post. If you'd like no-holds-barred discussion of this issue, please come to TNZ.

Otherwise, you'll have to settle for my relatively polite disagreement here.
What and where is TNZ?
Go here and add yourself to The Neutral Zone. Then you'll be able to see it. It's right below Miscellaneous in the forum list.

Mind you, it is a very lightly-moderated politics forum where flaming and trolling and such are permitted, so don't go in unawares.
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is online now  
Old September 30 2013, 04:11 PM   #49
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

Oh, and fuck Shilliam Watner. It was awesome to see everyone dismiss him in his Obamacare thread. Fucking clown.
Why the hostility?
Just for the record, I did not say that.
Lumos Ziyal is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 04:37 PM   #50
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Yeah, but you thought it. Bad Tora.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 04:56 PM   #51
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

^ Nah. I don't call people clowns, even to myself.
Lumos Ziyal is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 05:11 PM   #52
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Not even Leoncavallo's Pagliaccio?
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 05:55 PM   #53
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
The British Nationality Act of 1948 governed Obama''s birth status when he was born. It was stated on his campaign website back in 2008. As for Cruz, no he is not eligible for Article 2 Section 1. From his 'Fight The Smears campaign website:

"When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children.
You are confused. There is no reasonable question that President Obama was a natural-born US citizen as he was born in Hawaii to a US citizen mother. The British Nationality Act bears only on the question of whether he also had dual citizenship through his father, which is immaterial as far as the US Constitution is concerned.
J.T.B. is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 06:10 PM   #54
IndyJones
Vice Admiral
 
IndyJones's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Ignoring all of the actual evidence that he was born in Hawaii, the idea that a couple in the early 60's who *had* been in Hawaii would hatch a plan to leave the country, name their biracial child Barack Hussein Obama, Jr, and then plot to get him illegally elected President by placing birth announcements in local Hawaiian papers, and then take him out of the country again for a few more years is just insane. And to what end? To destroy the economy by presiding over the doubling of the stock market, extracting us from drawn out wars, increasing fuel economy standards and use of renewable energies, and getting access to healthcare for people with preexisting conditions? Dastardly.
__________________
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 06:39 PM   #55
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

I'm not sure if I like this thing or not. On one end I've heard it's really affecting employers and that is why Hiring is not as good as it once was, but on the other, it is affordable health care that everyone should take advantage of. I also got a notice from my current health insurance this last weekend saying that if I don't apply for new health insurance, I will be put into something that is like what I currently have (Which will no longer be offered) and the rates will jump again from $227 to $300.04. I don't like that one bit.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 06:51 PM   #56
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Not even Leoncavallo's Pagliaccio?
He's an exception.
Lumos Ziyal is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 06:54 PM   #57
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
The insurance carrier made it clear the increase was in order to be compliant with the new health care law.
And we all know that insurance people never lie.

Beside, as an Italian citizen, I get my healthcare from the our National Health Service. It's tax-funded and it's ranked as the second best in the world by the World Health Organization. So, yay for "socialism", I guess.
As do I as a Brit I get my healthcare via the NHS. It's not perfect by any means and yes it's funded via taxes so it's not free.

But it covers you regardless of the ability to pay, and sooner or later you will need some kind of medical care.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 07:33 PM   #58
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if I like this thing or not. On one end I've heard it's really affecting employers and that is why Hiring is not as good as it once was, but on the other, it is affordable health care that everyone should take advantage of. I also got a notice from my current health insurance this last weekend saying that if I don't apply for new health insurance, I will be put into something that is like what I currently have (Which will no longer be offered) and the rates will jump again from $227 to $300.04. I don't like that one bit.
You might qualify for a subsidy depending on how much you make, tomalak301.
Peach Wookiee is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 07:38 PM   #59
Shilliam Watner
Commander
 
Location: In linear time
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
The British Nationality Act of 1948 governed Obama''s birth status when he was born. It was stated on his campaign website back in 2008. As for Cruz, no he is not eligible for Article 2 Section 1. From his 'Fight The Smears campaign website:

"When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children.
You are confused. There is no reasonable question that President Obama was a natural-born US citizen as he was born in Hawaii to a US citizen mother.
Not true at all that I am confused. I am privy to a lot of things pertaining to this. Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Cold Case Posse of the Maricopa County Sheriffs Office has done a 22 month investigation that found the birth certificate put on the White House website back on April 27, 2011 to be a 100% forgery. That evidence was backed by a independent court recognized forensic handwriting and computer-generated document expert named Reed Hayes from Hawaii. He has decades of experience with impeccable credentials. His report was over 40 pages of all things wrong with Obama's birth document and was submitted to Arpaio's lead investigator Mike Zullo. Here is the evidence in an affidavit by Mike Zullo. It is a stunning complication of evidence and it has been turned over to Congressman Steve Stockman and Ted Yoho who are working behind closed doors to get a investigative congressional committee together with subpoena powers. Their evidence now puts the official statements of the Hawaii Dept. of Health officials in question. So no, we can't at this time conclude that Hawaii was the true birthplace of Obama. Also a dual citizen can never be considered a natural born Citizen. The U.S. state department frowns upon dual citizenship.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1O4...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by Shilliam Watner; September 30 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Shilliam Watner is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 07:46 PM   #60
Shilliam Watner
Commander
 
Location: In linear time
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Ignoring all of the actual evidence that he was born in Hawaii, the idea that a couple in the early 60's who *had* been in Hawaii would hatch a plan to leave the country, name their biracial child Barack Hussein Obama, Jr, and then plot to get him illegally elected President by placing birth announcements in local Hawaiian papers,.
Lame strawman response. That is not what happened and the birth announcements mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. They tell you only that a birth event took place. They do not name the baby at all OR where the baby was born. Here is Maricopa County Sheriffs Office lead investigator Mike Zullo of the Cold Case Posse (who found Obama's birth certificate and his selective service registration to be a forged) at a official press conference explaining the birth announcements and what they uncovered when investigating the birth indexes.


Go exactly to 116:35 in the Maricopa County Sheriffs Office video for the birth announcement explanation. If you have time, I advise you to watch the whole conference as the evidence is presented
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8muZ1Pe9OAo
Shilliam Watner is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.