Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 27 2013, 11:15 PM   #136
feek61
Commander

Re: Phase II - Act One of "KITUMBA"

jamesmc wrote: View Post
First off, this type of stuff is exactly why I no longer participate in forum boards. Since it is me who actually determines where these credits are placed I will tell you that Vic's name actually is placed in the first card at the end credits for Director and appears again as his character alongside the rest of the supporting cast. It does not appear at the head of the episode. David and I have both been very busy and we have not yet had time to discuss this particular issue and I thank him for jumping in here. While I will NEVER go into discussing private matters in a public forum, no matter what transpired with Vic, or my personal feelings toward him, I would never remove his name from the episode.
James Cawley
Professional and classy. Thank you for the response.

Good luck with your projects!
Old September 28 2013, 02:56 AM   #137
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. Cawley.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 11:53 PM   #138
USS Excelsior
Fleet Captain

Yes it's a lot of hard work. At the end of last year there was a trailer released saying that Kitumba and Origins will be released in 2013. But it was probably assumed at the time that would be feasible.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:28 PM   #139
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

jamesmc wrote: View Post
First off, this type of stuff is exactly why I no longer participate in forum boards.
You don't participate in forum boards because people ask questions? Or is it just because people ask questions you guys can't/won't/or don't want to answer?

Since it is me who actually determines where these credits are placed I will tell you that Vic's name actually is placed in the first card at the end credits for Director and appears again as his character alongside the rest of the supporting cast. It does not appear at the head of the episode. David and I have both been very busy and we have not yet had time to discuss this particular issue and I thank him for jumping in here. While I will NEVER go into discussing private matters in a public forum, no matter what transpired with Vic, or my personal feelings toward him, I would never remove his name from the episode.
James Cawley
Praise Jesus! Thank you for FINALLY answering what should have been one of the easiest questions in the history of questions. I get that you guys got burned, but it's really gratifying to see you guys taking the high road. "You've restored my father's faith..." and all that.

Eagerly looking forward to the rest of Kitumba, Origins, and Axanar. Thank you for taking the time to respond here James. I do appreciate it.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:37 PM   #140
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

It's probably because of so many fights that break out, doubleohfive. One faction doesn't want to let things drop or another "wants to be right instead of happy."
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:34 PM   #141
USS Intrepid
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
You don't participate in forum boards because people ask questions? Or is it just because people ask questions you guys can't/won't/or don't want to answer?
Respectfully, that was unfair and uncalled for.

And for the record, I'm with James on this. The level of snark and unnecessary vitriol from various corners is really tiring.

I'm not pointing a finger at any one person on this, your post just caught my attention, but really sometimes folks need to let things go and step away from the keyboard.
Old September 30 2013, 08:47 PM   #142
E-DUB
Captain

Amen, USS Intrepid. The competitive urination has gotten way out of hand. Just make good product and let us judge, cause that's what it's all about. Well that or the hokey-pokey I'm really not sure.

Last edited by E-DUB; October 1 2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Corrected reference
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:49 PM   #143
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Respectfully, that was unfair and uncalled for.

And for the record, I'm with James on this. The level of snark and unnecessary vitriol from various corners is really tiring.
You are of course absolutely right. I would certainly like to apologize for that little barb as it was wholly unnecessary and the result of my own inability at times to self-edit as I write. To James, and to all of you - I sincerely offer my genuine apology.

I'm not pointing a finger at any one person on this, your post just caught my attention, but really sometimes folks need to let things go and step away from the keyboard.
Again, agreed whole-heartedly.

I do however stand by my initial question and my stance that had a simple answer been provided rather than the usual deflection, blame, and parlor tricks of online interaction, a lot of the drama of these last few pages likely would have been avoided.

But, as the question's been answered it's neither her nor there. I am going to really try to be less abrasive in the future though because clearly I'm just as much a part of the problem.

Last edited by doubleohfive; September 30 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old October 1 2013, 05:27 PM   #144
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Loken wrote: View Post
As to the question about Sol 7 and the edit of Kitumba. I was fortunate to be introduced to Mark Lewis by Richard Hatch. Mark is a composer, editor, sound editor and all around post production guru. He serves as Post Production Supervisor on Axanar and has graciously volunteered to edit Phase II.
Wow, that's great! Thanks for sharing that info.

PonyHorton wrote: View Post
Wait'll you see some of my latest matte shots for Kitumba.

You'll just DIE!
I'm going to hold you to that. I just finished watching your "Cookin' With Gas" Star Trek fan film for the fifth time and it's still not stale. I loved living in the Star Trek universe you created in that short film, if only for a few minutes. And the little surprise extra after the end credits? OH CRAP!

Last edited by Professor Moriarty; October 1 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added reply to Loken's post
Professor Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 05:41 PM   #145
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Its cool doubleohfive, but I can totally understand why James is fed up with it, and why people sometimes get a little hot under the collar. Heck, I've been there myself, and it really is incredibly frustrating.

Guess that's just the internet for you.
Old October 1 2013, 06:14 PM   #146
TrekGirl
Ensign

View TrekGirl's Twitter Profile

northstar wrote: View Post
..and he owes us absolutely no explanation...
No they don't.

They. Owe. No. One. Anything.

Okay...about to be unladylike for just a min....

I feel that all fan production producers/actors show tremendous restraint on these type of forums. Like I've said before, were it I, doing something I enjoyed doing as a hobby…would SURE AS HELL do it EXACTLY the way I wanted it to be done and I'd stay a million miles from ANY online forum because I’d end up stooping right down to their level and telling every one of those passive aggressive, stick up their ass, arm chair quarterbacks to go f**k themselves and the horse they rode in on. And if they could get up off of their big, pimpled asses for just a sec, they could stick their ''constructive" criticism in there as well. People are CONSTANTLY begging them to hurry up and put more episodes out...why the hell should they be in a HURRY?!?!...so a bunch of know-it-all-and-the-price-of-it blowhards can tell them what is wrong with the lighting, sound, acting, hair color, uniform color, the color/pattern of the blinking lights, the music, the effects, the editing, the size/shape/placement of lint on McCoy's friggin’ smock? Gee, I wonder why they'd be reluctant to release anything until they had pored over every single goddamned frame of the thing 1,000 times so they might, JUST MIGHT circumvent SOME of the whining and nitpicking wannabe’s, who don’t have the gumption to actually do this themselves, but have all the energy in the world to ENDLESSLY pick it the f**k apart. I will repeat something that has been said innumerable times on these forums - Don’t like it? Don’t watch it. And then, take a deep breath, step away from your computer (i.e. social life)…go outside and look at flowers or some shit. Life is short.
TrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 06:22 PM   #147
TrekGirl
Ensign

View TrekGirl's Twitter Profile

Oh and another thing...I'd credit or not credit whoever the hell I wanted, in any way shape or form I wanted. I'd credit Rudolph the mother f*****g Reindeer if I wanted to.

Okay that is all. I think.
TrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 06:25 PM   #148
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I wish there was a "Like" button on this forum, because I'd punch the hell out of it on post #146. Well said.
Old October 1 2013, 06:46 PM   #149
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Gonna go ahead and deduce that this is at least in part directed toward me.

TrekGirl wrote: View Post
No they don't.

I never said they did. In fact, I'm one of the biggest supporters of this very idea when it comes to the fan films, most notably in the case of Starship Exeter whenever someone gets it in their heads to kvetch about how long it's taking them to finish "The Tressaurian Intersection."

That being said, I asked a simple question that could have easily been addressed but was instead blown WAY out of proportion by both sides.

I feel that all fan production producers/actors show tremendous restraint on these type of forums. Like I've said before, were it I, doing something I enjoyed doing as a hobby…
And herein lies the rub. This is all a hobby. These productions - amazing though they may be - are hobbies. They are passion projects, vanity pieces, done for fun by the people who make them. And that's wonderful. It really is. Again, huge supporter of that.

Where the problem started for me here was that the work was not being properly credited and that the production was talking a big game about being as "professional" as possible.

I work in Hollywood on television shows and films. I'm well-versed in what constitutes "professional" behavior and "professional" content. To not credit Vic for having directed the episode that Phase II is now in the midst of releasing was intellectually dishonest to me and I didn't want to believe that they would try to stoop to that level, which is why I asked my question of them. I don't believe I'm entitled to anything. They could have easily given a hundred different answers that could have been fine but they skirted the issue all while talking about how "professional" they were going to be.

The word for that is hypocrisy.

If they were actually professionals about it, they would have realized that yeah, it sucks what went down with Vic but he did do the work that Phase II is benefiting from, so they should still credit him.
It just boggles my mind how blindingly obvious this is.

Then again, nobody in fan films seem to understand how credits and titles actually work, so it's not altogether surprising. But the point I'm making is they should have known better. If Vic is badmouthing Phase II to other productions and personnel, that's a whole other ball of wax. The issue I was raising was that a guy did some work for them and now they weren't going to credit him even though he did the work and they were using it.

Oh and another thing...I'd credit or not credit whoever the hell I wanted, in any way shape or form I wanted. I'd credit Rudolph the mother f*****g Reindeer if I wanted to.
Good for you! The problem though then becomes "How do we take you seriously as a professional production if you don't credit the people who do the work for you?"

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Its cool doubleohfive, but I can totally understand why James is fed up with it, and why people sometimes get a little hot under the collar. Heck, I've been there myself, and it really is incredibly frustrating.

Guess that's just the internet for you.
I don't blame James for being fed up with the vitriol and hate. What I don't care for is the legitimate questions being ignored or dismissed as part of same and that's the feeling I got from both Alec and David previously. I don't doubt though that it can be quite taxing and unfair no matter the original intention.
Old October 1 2013, 09:05 PM   #150
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

No they don't.

I feel that all fan production producers/actors show tremendous restraint on these type of forums. Like I've said before, were it I, doing something I enjoyed doing as a hobby…would SURE AS HELL do it EXACTLY the way I wanted it to be done and I'd stay a million miles from ANY online forum because I’d end up stooping right down to their level and telling every one of those passive aggressive, stick up their ass, arm chair quarterbacks to go f**k themselves and the horse they rode in on. And if they could get up off of their big, pimpled asses for just a sec, they could stick their ''constructive" criticism in there as well. People are CONSTANTLY begging them to hurry up and put more episodes out...why the hell should they be in a HURRY?!?!...so a bunch of know-it-all-and-the-price-of-it blowhards can tell them what is wrong with the lighting, sound, acting, hair color, uniform color, the color/pattern of the blinking lights, the music, the effects, the editing, the size/shape/placement of lint on McCoy's friggin’ smock? Gee, I wonder why they'd be reluctant to release anything until they had pored over every single goddamned frame of the thing 1,000 times so they might, JUST MIGHT circumvent SOME of the whining and nitpicking wannabe’s, who don’t have the gumption to actually do this themselves, but have all the energy in the world to ENDLESSLY pick it the f**k apart. I will repeat something that has been said innumerable times on these forums - Don’t like it? Don’t watch it. And then, take a deep breath, step away from your computer (i.e. social life)…go outside and look at flowers or some shit. Life is short.
OK, I couldn't resist.... there is no good reason to demand ANY particular fan film group hurry up because you want more. THERE IS MORE!! There are many, many groups! Drop by Star Trek Reviewed and try a dozen... or a score! http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote