Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 29 2013, 02:10 AM   #16
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Re: It's Over.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Yes, someone at S and S has played a blinder.
Totally OT, but... I had to Google this to find out what it meant. Thanks for teaching me something new!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 06:41 AM   #17
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

There are a lot of people that really miss the planet of the week / everything back in the box novels.

I really don't...
I really do.

Which is not to say that I'm not enjoying what's currently going on in the books (although, book two of the TNG COLD EQUATIONS trilogy left alot to be desired.), but I don't understand why we can't have books set within their respective series timeframes. TOS is doing this, why not the others?

And I really don't understand why everybody seems to hate self-contained stories. After all, they're just as valid as ongoing ones.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Relayer1
Commodore

RandyS wrote: View Post
There are a lot of people that really miss the planet of the week / everything back in the box novels.

I really don't...
I really do.

Which is not to say that I'm not enjoying what's currently going on in the books (although, book two of the TNG COLD EQUATIONS trilogy left alot to be desired.), but I don't understand why we can't have books set within their respective series timeframes. TOS is doing this, why not the others?

And I really don't understand why everybody seems to hate self-contained stories. After all, they're just as valid as ongoing ones.
I prefer a novel that moves things on and effects change. You appear to be happy with a well told story.

Your viewpoint is equally valid, even if I don't share it.
Old September 29 2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Mage
Commodore

I really don't...
I really do.

I prefer a novel that moves things on and effects change. You appear to be happy with a well told story.

I'd like to have my cake and eat it too. Meaning, a well told story, that movies things on and effects change.
Old September 29 2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I also prefer the self-contained variety. Who knows, we may get some more later. The concept is not "over". That's too fatalistic.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 09:35 AM   #21
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

If my choice is between:

self-contained, full story, but nothing ever changes
or
cliff-hangers, never-ending story, things change

I'd go with the latter. But if it's like TF:R&D:

cliff-hangers, partial story, almost nothing changes

I'd rather have the former. In other words, good writing trumps all.

Last edited by JeBuS; September 29 2013 at 10:32 AM.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 03:42 PM   #22
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

JeBuS wrote: View Post
But if it's like TF:R&D: cliff-hangers, partial story, almost nothing changes I'd rather have the former. In other words, good writing trumps all.
Why the need to continue bashing this book? You've made your opinions quite clear in its review thread. There is no need to continue to rehash this.

As for the original topic, there are many, MANY books of the self-contained variety that I love. So many of the numbered novels are near and dear to me. However, the reset button at the end of almost each and every one of them drives me up the wall. I would actually rather have an open-ended book with no resolution to the story as long as something changes.

I don't want characters to become unrecognizable though.

I need to be able to see a progression from where the character was to where the character goes and have it actually make sense.
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore

The Cold Equations trilogy were amongst my favourite novels in all Treklit. I don't really care if it is quite the character that you refer to. I love what has been done with them and it's close enough for me...
Old September 29 2013, 04:12 PM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I also prefer the self-contained variety. Who knows, we may get some more later. The concept is not "over". That's too fatalistic.
Don't worry. I've got at least two more "self-contained" books in the works.
Old September 29 2013, 04:28 PM   #25
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I really don't...
I really do.

See though, I don't see it as an "either/or" situation. Like I said, I am enjoying what the novels are currently doing, I just wish we could have more of a balance between the two concepts. The TNG era novels can continue to do the "after the series" books they're doing, while at the same time, give us the occasional novel set within their series, like TOS is currently doing. Likewise, the TOS line could occasionally do a book in the movie era, the 14 years in between TMP and KHAN, etc.

There's no reason why things need to be all one thing or all the other.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 04:29 PM   #26
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

OverlordSpock wrote: View Post
Why the need to continue bashing this book? You've made your opinions quite clear in its review thread. There is no need to continue to rehash this.
I... didn't think I was. I was using it as an example of an exceptional case. There were others who used other books as examples, so why call me out on it?
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 04:32 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Likewise, the TOS line could occasionally do a book in the movie era, the 14 years in between TMP and KHAN, etc.
It's 12 years between TMP and TWOK. The Okudachron's rather odd 2271 placement for TMP was subsequently disproven by VGR: "Q2" establishing that Kirk's 5-year mission ended in 2270. Since TMP is at least two and a half years later, it's now accepted as taking place in 2273. TWOK's 2285 placement is problematical in itself (15 years after "Space Seed" should be 2282), but it's been referenced by so many books now that we're stuck with it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Reanok
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Don't worry. I've got at least two more "self-contained" books in the works.
That's great news Greg I like self contained StarTrek stories . I wish there were some Tng and Ds9 books that were self contained stories that would take place during the tv series, There are a lot of untold stories . I like the the 24th century tng era books having storyarcs too but it's also nice to have stand alone books to be in the mix too.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 05:30 PM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

There's nothing "over". That's a load of crap. There's room for all kinds of stories. And the rather ominous title of "The Fall" notwithstanding, the Federation isn't "over", either.

That being said, it may not be over, but it may be Oveur:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 06:15 PM   #30
TheUsualSuspect
Lieutenant Junior Grade

OverlordSpock wrote: View Post
JeBuS wrote: View Post
But if it's like TF:R&D: cliff-hangers, partial story, almost nothing changes I'd rather have the former. In other words, good writing trumps all.

As for the original topic, there are many, MANY books of the self-contained variety that I love. So many of the numbered novels are near and dear to me. However, the reset button at the end of almost each and every one of them drives me up the wall. I would actually rather have an open-ended book with no resolution to the story as long as something changes.

I don't want characters to become unrecognizable though.

I need to be able to see a progression from where the character was to where the character goes and have it actually make sense.
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote