RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 600
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 25 2013, 01:12 AM   #31
Workbee
Commander

Re: Was the Star Trek 4 Ent-A bridge a redress of the Excelsior bridge

BillJ wrote: View Post
I liked the Enterprise-A bridge from the end of The Voyage Home.
Same here!
Old September 25 2013, 01:18 AM   #32
trevanian
Rear Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
(I dislike that they moved the turbolift stops, though. Not quite sure why they did that.)
While there might have been other reasons for rearranging the wall modules, I'm sure the ability to compose this final group shot was a contributing factor. Kept in the TFF configuration, Spock and Uhura would both be out of frame unless they got up for no reason to stand by the railing.
The theatricality of that shot always bothered me some, but what really bugged me was that they didn't end with Spock and McCoy standing on either side of Kirk, the traditional series end in many eps. Even TMP messed that up, putting them together on one side of Kirk.

There really isn't any KSM alone moments in the whole film, which is also problematic for me (close as they come is when they confront Valeris in sickbay, and it ain't even close.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:52 AM   #33
Aldo
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
(I dislike that they moved the turbolift stops, though. Not quite sure why they did that.)
While there might have been other reasons for rearranging the wall modules, I'm sure the ability to compose this final group shot was a contributing factor. Kept in the TFF configuration, Spock and Uhura would both be out of frame unless they got up for no reason to stand by the railing.
The theatricality of that shot always bothered me some, but what really bugged me was that they didn't end with Spock and McCoy standing on either side of Kirk, the traditional series end in many eps. Even TMP messed that up, putting them together on one side of Kirk.

There really isn't any KSM alone moments in the whole film, which is also problematic for me (close as they come is when they confront Valeris in sickbay, and it ain't even close.)
That was a big problem for me with the film too (well, not a huge one, I still find it enjoyable enough).

It just seems like a wasted opportunity having your last film not feature the big three together except for a few token moments.
Old September 27 2013, 12:49 AM   #34
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Agreed.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:48 AM   #35
Aldo
Admiral

I just watched Star Trek V for the first time in a while, and I suppose I never realized it before that the Officer's Lounge was just a redress of the Ten Forward Set. Someone mentioned it up thread so while I was watching the movie I kept it in mind, and while it's a pretty extensive redress and not apparent at first, the corridor right outside of the doors gives it away.
Old September 28 2013, 04:14 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

^To be precise, I didn't say it was a Ten Forward redress, just that it seemed plausible that it might have been. I really don't know either way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 09:20 PM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I'm fairly certain it's not a redress of Ten Forward.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 11:10 PM   #38
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Aldo wrote: View Post
I just watched Star Trek V for the first time in a while, and I suppose I never realized it before that the Officer's Lounge was just a redress of the Ten Forward Set. Someone mentioned it up thread so while I was watching the movie I kept it in mind, and while it's a pretty extensive redress and not apparent at first, the corridor right outside of the doors gives it away.
Christopher wrote: View Post
^To be precise, I didn't say it was a Ten Forward redress, just that it seemed plausible that it might have been. I really don't know either way.
Maurice wrote: View Post
I'm fairly certain it's not a redress of Ten Forward.
The Observation Lounge in TFF was not a redress. It's construction and design was discussed at length in Captain's Log: The Making of Star Trek V The Final Frontier. I don't have my copy handy, but Herman Zimmerman discusses how the set had to have wild walls so as to allow for the pivotal scenes in which Sybok walks through Spock and McCoy's pain.

The Paradise City bar, however, is a redress of Ten Forward.
Old September 29 2013, 12:48 AM   #39
Christopher
Writer

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Oh! Well, there you go. I never suspected that. Which supports my point that TFF did a good job of hiding its reuse of TNG sets, while TUC did a terrible job of doing so.

Old September 29 2013, 03:00 AM   #40
Aldo
Admiral

D'oh! I read that making of TFF book, I should have known that the officer's lounge was a new set.

Do you have a source for this? I'm on Memory Alpha and they don't mention anything about this.

Last edited by Aldo; September 29 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 07:14 AM   #41
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
D'oh! I read that making of TFF book, I should have known that the officer's lounge was a new set.

Do you have a source for this? I'm on Memory Alpha and they don't mention anything about this.
I'm a little dubious of this myself. The bar proper is clearly from Ten Forward, but the set layout is really different, and it looks like it opens out into the courtyard, but I could be mistaken.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; September 29 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 07:28 AM   #42
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I liked the Enterprise-A bridge from the end of The Voyage Home.
I think my favorite variant of it was the one from ST VI. It just looked more realistic.

Out-of-universe - i.e. for filming purposes - I'm sure it was always the same set, but IN universe, I am guessing that all three were separate replaceable modules. They just look too different. If Starfleet's going to go through that much work to alter a bridge, surely it'd be easier just to start over?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 12:59 PM   #43
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^But between V and VI they move the turbolifts too, which necessitates moving the shafts for at least one deck below. Quite a bit more work than plugging in a new module on top.

EDIT: That said, I think we're supposed to believe the bridge in IV, V and VI "really" looks the same, just as Kirsty Alley and Robin Curtis are both recognizable as Saavik.
Old September 29 2013, 01:33 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Maurice wrote: View Post
I'm a little dubious of this myself. The bar proper is clearly from Ten Forward, but the set layout is really different, and it look like it opens out into the courtyard, but I could be mistaken.
The Ten Forward set on Paramount's Stage 8 was a large set that had nothing adjacent to it except a stretch of corridor (which had the senior officers' quarters set on the other side), and I assume the walls were wild (removable) for camera access. So it wouldn't have been hard to take out a wall or two and build a bit of courtyard.

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp...-floorplan.png

Old September 29 2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^But between V and VI they move the turbolifts too, which necessitates moving the shafts for at least one deck below. Quite a bit more work than plugging in a new module on top.
Maybe the turbolifts move from side to side after they leave the bridge, before they start going downward.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote