Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 20 2013, 05:40 PM   #196
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Wow, I wish I was as "fat" as Shatner was at that age.
I supposed the definition of "fat" has changed over the years. Or has the increase in obesity made it less noticeable or objectionable?
Old September 20 2013, 05:43 PM   #197
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Eh, I'd say it's gone both ways.

Leading actors (or people who wanted to be leading actors) were always expected to be in tiptop shape, moreso than the average population. Nowadways, if anything, the obesity is probably more prevalent among the average populcate, and leading actors are expected to be even thinner.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:54 PM   #198
Christopher
Writer

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
I supposed the definition of "fat" has changed over the years.
Has it really? If anything, it's gotten even worse, at least for women. An average, fit female physique is considered overweight by the standards of Hollywood and fashion magazines.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 07:03 PM   #199
trevanian
Rear Admiral

There's still a huge double standard at work. Nathan Fillion is on his way to Riker-like bloat-sizing on CASTLE, but there's no way his co-star could keep working if anything like that befell her.

One more reason to like British programming is that to no small degree, the females actually look normal in size, which, assuming you're not playing a contemporary movie star or an anorexic or an anorexic-wannabe, actually makes sense.

If you can find pictures of Christina Hendricks from before MAD MEN but after FIREFLY, you'll see she was on a short-lived series that had her dieted down to ridiculous proportions, given her endowments. It's a grand fluke she wound up on a show that lets her celebrate nature instead of try to disavow it.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 11:44 PM   #200
Harvey
Admiral

As mentioned in this thread, I am moving to LA, so my blog will be on hiatus for a bit while I do that (and look for a job). I take off Thursday night, and won't be around a computer much for a few weeks after that.

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...ry-hiatus.html

The good news is that I've written some content and scheduled it to post ahead of time. If people have other things that they want me to write about (and I'll be in LA, so getting to the files at UCLA and elsewhere will be easier) leave a comment here or on my blog about it, and I'll try and get to them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 12:48 AM   #201
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed lurking in this thread. Great work.
Old September 27 2013, 12:55 AM   #202
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Harvey, best of luck on the move. I think I speak for everyone when I say we can't wait to read more.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 04:17 PM   #203
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

While it goes off the premise of "fact checking" the book, I would love to have some sort of definitive answer as to when they switched from using the "electric violin" version of the main theme to the Fred Steiner arrangement (the cello theme). The original DVDs don't get it quite right, since multiple people remember The Corbomite Maneuver having the cello theme. Since the theme was recorded in those same sessions, according to the LaLa Land TOS Soundtrack notes, that 10th aired episode would be the latest it was introduced. However, Balance of Terror and What Are Little Girls Made Of were also recorded the same day.

The guys who worked on the CD set couldn't find that information, so I'm wondering if it's listed in the files anywhere else.
Old September 27 2013, 05:03 PM   #204
Harvey
Admiral

The UCLA files have some memos about the music, but nothing that I've found says anything about when the new version of the theme began being used in season one. Unless the Roddenberry estate has files about this unavailable at UCLA, I suspect it will remain a mystery.

Old September 28 2013, 07:23 PM   #205
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

That's too bad, but thanks for that at least. Damn. Now I wish I kept by crappy old audio tape recordings I made waaaay back then.

Keep up the amazing work. :-)
Old September 28 2013, 09:50 PM   #206
Green Shirt
Commodore

The original DVDs don't get it quite right, since multiple people remember The Corbomite Maneuver having the cello theme.
In syndication since the early 70s, the electronic version was used in the first five aired episodes. Even though "Corbomite" was first in production order, it aired later - hence the cello.
Old September 30 2013, 03:44 PM   #207
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
The original DVDs don't get it quite right, since multiple people remember The Corbomite Maneuver having the cello theme.
In syndication since the early 70s, the electronic version was used in the first five aired episodes. Even though "Corbomite" was first in production order, it aired later - hence the cello.
The cello theme was actually recorded in the same session as the Corbomite Maneuver score, so it couldn't have been used before it was available (easily the most obvious thing I've ever said), which was only a few weeks after the premiere anyway. So that fits, but I always thought Mudd's Women had the electric violin theme. However, I was a kid, so I'm more than willing to be wrong.
Old October 5 2013, 06:54 PM   #208
Harvey
Admiral

The first part of my piece about "A Private Little War" this week. Entirely introduction, but I need this material to last a few weeks while I job hunt. Got hired by a good temp agency here, which is good. Now I just have to hope they can find me a good, long-term assignment. Fingers crossed.

Scheduled a visit to the archives for next weekend. Hopefully I'll turn up something interesting.

Old October 5 2013, 07:04 PM   #209
Warped9
Admiral

Can't wait to read more, Harvey.
Old October 5 2013, 07:15 PM   #210
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Best wishes for the job search, Harvey!

I watched "Private Little War" several times while my computer was down last month. Comparing the Nona bathing scene in the episode against the blooper reel, they sure must have spent more than a few minutes shooting footage of Nancy Kovack they knew would never make it to air. There has to be a juicy story there.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote