Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 28 2013, 01:43 PM   #121
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

Yep, Moffat has gone batshit bonkers. Although I always thought he was anyway.

but if RTD originally created this concept, maybe he will write one or two episodes, and maybe it could turn out to be okay.

But this has got Moffat written all over it. It could go 50 50.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 01:48 PM   #122
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Yeah, its iffy, to say the least. I don't dislike the idea behind it - but Moffat has proven that he's better at writing for another showrunner than at writing while he is the showrunner.

Here's hoping RTD and Moffat could iron out this plot thread together, and not simply be Moffat running on RTD's vague idea of what could've been.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 01:54 PM   #123
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Yeah, maybe if they both worked as show runners.

Yeah, Moffat definitely wrote better under RTD than he did while in charge.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 02:23 PM   #124
The Wormhole
Admiral

Yeah, this sounds pretty bad. I wouldn't mind a cute little joke about it, like when Martha was talking about her cousin. Hell, that could work when the Twelfth Doctor meets Jack.

Jack: "What the hell?!"
Doctor: "Oh, hello Jack. Nice seeing you again."
Jack: "You died. I confirmed that!"
Doctor: "And then I regenerated."
Jack: "...Doctor?"
Doctor: "Someone else you thinking of?"
Jack: "Got to say, I'm not liking this new look."

But this? No, just no.

I remember Russell [T Davies] told me that he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldi’s in the Who universe: one in Pompeii and one in Torchwood.
Wouldn't that just be the time/space duplicity thing that explains why Gwen Cooper so similar to Gwyneth from The Unquiet Dead?
Old September 28 2013, 03:24 PM   #125
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I remember Russell [T Davies] told me that he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldi’s in the Who universe: one in Pompeii and one in Torchwood.
Wouldn't that just be the time/space duplicity thing that explains why Gwen Cooper so similar to Gwyneth from The Unquiet Dead?
Was the connection between Gwen and Gwyneth ever explained on screen? Or was that something that the viewers knew because RTD had talked about it from time to time?

RTD may have had an explanation in mind for why Frobisher and Caecilius looked alike, but there was never a way of using that explanation within Children of Earth because 1) it wasn't relevant to the story and 2) it wouldn't have moved the story forward.

This sounds like Moffat wants to do something with the idea that these characters are connected. I can't think of anything more inward looking than explaining why the Doctor looks like a one-shot guest star from five years ago and a star of a spin-off series from four years ago.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:28 PM   #126
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Ugh. Not only that, but it comes from a Davies timey-wimey conspiracy. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to tie-in why The First Doctor and the Abbot of Amboise from The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve, The Second Doctor and Salamander from The Enemy of the World, and The Sixth Doctor and Maxil all look the same.

Sometimes it's just best to leave such things alone.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:58 PM   #127
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Was the connection between Gwen and Gwyneth ever explained on screen? Or was that something that the viewers knew because RTD had talked about it from time to time?

RTD may have had an explanation in mind for why Frobisher and Caecilius looked alike, but there was never a way of using that explanation within Children of Earth because 1) it wasn't relevant to the story and 2) it wouldn't have moved the story forward.

This sounds like Moffat wants to do something with the idea that these characters are connected. I can't think of anything more inward looking than explaining why the Doctor looks like a one-shot guest star from five years ago and a star of a spin-off series from four years ago.
Well Ten and Rose definitely comment on the fact that Gwen looks like Gwyneth, so this is another one of those things where it was ok for RTD to do it but not Moffat (That said I think it's a bad idea, and it was a bad idea before)
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:03 PM   #128
StCoop
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
Well Ten and Rose definitely comment on the fact that Gwen looks like Gwyneth, so this is another one of those things where it was ok for RTD to do it but not Moffat
You're assuming people didn't roll their eyes at that moment?

Actors play different parts. Sometimes in a long running show, different parts in that show. It doesn't need explaining to anyone except those whose grasp on reality is pretty shaky. (And they won't believe it!)
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:19 PM   #129
Starkers
Admiral

It made my eyes roll

I'm perfectly happy to accept that sometimes the Doctor's brain remembers people he sees on this travels and subconsciously incorporates elements into a new regeneration. That makes enough sense, it doesn't need further explanation.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:21 PM   #130
Christopher
Writer

I'm perfectly happy to accept that sometimes the Doctor's brain remembers people he sees on this travels and subconsciously incorporates elements into a new regeneration. That makes enough sense, it doesn't need further explanation.
We already know that when Romana regenerated, she consciously chose to model her appearance on Princess Astra (Lalla Ward) from the previous adventure.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:50 PM   #131
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Ugh, not all of the mysteries of the Doctor have to be unraveled. Hopefully there's as much focus on "who the Doctor is" as there is on "who is the Doctor".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:58 PM   #132
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

It made my eyes roll

It really doesn't need any explanation at all, but the above would fit in nicely. Or, the TARDIS builds up a library of local humanoids when it's scanning the surrounding area for objects to completely ignore when deciding what to turn into.
Old September 28 2013, 06:36 PM   #133
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

It made my eyes roll

I agree with this. And for this idea to warrant an ongoing plot thread, it had better be really, really good!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:51 PM   #134
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

I have a suspicion that it might involve Trenzalore and/or some Quantum Leap-style shenanigans. Brrr.
Old September 28 2013, 07:35 PM   #135
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Emh wrote: View Post
Ugh. Not only that, but it comes from a Davies timey-wimey conspiracy. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to tie-in why The First Doctor and the Abbot of Amboise from The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve, The Second Doctor and Salamander from The Enemy of the World, and The Sixth Doctor and Maxil all look the same.

Sometimes it's just best to leave such things alone.
agreed.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote