Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 9 2013, 10:55 PM   #31
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: Why the lack of Classic characters?

Ah right. That's brilliant! So if three people have thought of it surely it should be used at some point.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:57 AM   #32
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

To me, it really is the biggest missed opportunity for the 50th - the lack of Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor. I really think he should've been in there, perhaps as a contrasting figure to how the Doctor got to be after the Time War.

Ah, well.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:29 PM   #33
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Thing is, I'm not sure who to blame, Moffat or the BBC.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:16 PM   #34
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I don't know how much can Moffat be blamed, but BBC may not enjoy the association to a TV Movie that, for all intents and purposes, failed to re-launch Doctor Who as a show back in the late '90's.

Old September 12 2013, 09:42 PM   #35
Pavonis
Commodore

It may have failed to relaunch DW, but the BBC apparently hasn't had any qualms about acknowledging its existence. The Eighth Doctor has been featured in all retrospectives of the Doctor (e.g., "The Next Doctor", "The Eleventh Hour", etc). So it may not be anything that someone actively prevented, just something that didn't come together.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:36 PM   #36
Noddy
Captain

I'll be severely peeved if no one from before 2005 appears in the special. I'm quite frankly appalled whenever I hear anyone saying that Ten, Rose, Zygons and UNIT is good enough.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 11:55 PM   #37
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^I'll almost give them UNIT IF Lethbridge-Stewart's daughter appears. (Or they bring back Benton somehow. I've got an idea that Benton comes back to UNIT as the Minister of Alien Defense. It would be a way to put him in charge of UNIT while side-stepping the fact that he's not a commissioned officer.)

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
The 'old Jamie' storyline's been done, in a 6th Doctor DWM comic strip back in 87. Even the dying heroically bit.
Really? Sounds good. Would be good if it was made into an episode though. Remember, Human Nature/Family of Blood and Blink originated or at least heavily based on Doctor Who comics, and look how popular they were.
"Human Nature" was based on a Virgin New Adventures novel of the same name by Paul Cornell. There are other bits of the new series that have taken less obvious cues from the novels. The destruction of Gallifrey happened in the 8th Doctor novels first. And the Cybermen in a parallel universe plot of "Rise of the Cybermen"/"The Age of Steel" is very similar to the 7th Doctor novel "Loving the Alien."

As a huge fan of the 8th Doctor, I wouldn't mind at all if the 8th Doctor did bad stuff during the Time War. I'd just be happy that Paul McGann was being acknowledged at all. Plus, if you listen to audios like "Zagreus" & "The Natural History of Fear," no one does evil like Paul McGann.

I was also hoping that David Bradley would show up as the 1st Doctor in the 50th anniversary special. I think it would be a nice touch for the youngest looking Doctor to meet up with the oldest looking Doctor. (It might even help the younger viewers acclimate to an older Doctor leading up to the Peter Capaldi era.)
Old September 27 2013, 10:17 PM   #38
Iamnotspock
Captain

"Well, d'you know, all I've ever revealed about what we're doing in [The Day of the Doctor] is anything that we filmed outside. I notice people are making up stuff about who or what is or is not in that special; you're just going to have to wait till November to find out the truth.

Most of [the rumours] are quite fanciful, and some of them are entertainingly angry - people who make up their own theories about what is or is not in the special, and then make a Youtube film about how angry they are about their own theory. If you're ever bored of an evening, I recommend it as a form of self-entertainment." - Steven Moffat, TV Baftas, 2013.

Why don't we have this discussion in late November, if it's still relevant?
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 10:40 PM   #39
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Well, DWM confirmed that there were no classic Doctors in the special, so either they were lying (which seems pointless when they could have said nothing at all) or there are in fact no classic Doctors in the special, and Moffat is taking his usual PR approach of making hinty statements that create expectations he knows won't be met. Or there's a single pre-2005 companion standing in for the entire classic run.
Old September 28 2013, 12:20 AM   #40
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Noddy wrote: View Post
I'll be severely peeved if no one from before 2005 appears in the special. I'm quite frankly appalled whenever I hear anyone saying that Ten, Rose, Zygons and UNIT is good enough.
As a practical matter, there's unlikely to be much, if anything, pre-2005 in the anniversary special. It's a problem of budget. The anniversary special is 75 minutes and in 3-D, all made (per Moffat) on the budget for a standard length episode. Simply due to the budget, it's unlikely there will be many guest stars. (I suspect River Song is the most likely unannounced guest star.)

To be honest, because of the budget and the need to stretch it to the breaking point, I'm expecting something on the scale of "Waters of Mars" -- a couple of sets and a small cast, essentially a bottle episode.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 12:29 AM   #41
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Shits and giggles.

Really, isn't this how the 50th anniversary feels like?

And if I see River Song one more time I think I might punch a wall.

Old September 28 2013, 10:55 AM   #42
Noddy
Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Shits and giggles.

Really, isn't this how the 50th anniversary feels like?

And if I see River Song one more time I think I might punch a wall.
Right there with you, bro. I'll be sat there thinking "Urge to kill...RISING!!"
Old September 28 2013, 10:57 AM   #43
Noddy
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
As a practical matter, there's unlikely to be much, if anything, pre-2005 in the anniversary special. It's a problem of budget. The anniversary special is 75 minutes and in 3-D, all made (per Moffat) on the budget for a standard length episode. Simply due to the budget, it's unlikely there will be many guest stars. (I suspect River Song is the most likely unannounced guest star.)

To be honest, because of the budget and the need to stretch it to the breaking point, I'm expecting something on the scale of "Waters of Mars" -- a couple of sets and a small cast, essentially a bottle episode.
Doesn't sound very promising.
Old September 28 2013, 11:33 AM   #44
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Doesn't sound very promising.
Sounds like everything that basically everyone has deduced for some time now: That the BBC doesn't care almost at all about the show or its immense popularity. Its baffling, really - like the late Jon Pertwee would have said, this would not have happened in America.

Old September 28 2013, 11:42 AM   #45
Noddy
Captain

With everything that's heard about the special, I have to say, I'm unpleasantly reminded of Star Trek: Nemesis. That also was hyped up, should have been a lot better than it was, but mostly turned out the way it did due to shoddy production and poor decision-making.