Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 27 2013, 10:48 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: JJ Abrams says Rupert Wyatt would be great director for Star Trek

geneo wrote: View Post
I know he is "retired" and may not be able to want to stand the long hours but I think it should be Leonard Nimoy or Jonathan Frakes. Get a good director from within Trek this time, someone who would at least know something about the canon.
No one is getting hired based on their knowledge of canon.
Old September 27 2013, 10:54 PM   #32
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I know he is "retired" and may not be able to want to stand the long hours but I think it should be Leonard Nimoy or Jonathan Frakes. Get a good director from within Trek this time, someone who would at least know something about the canon.
No one is getting hired based on their knowledge of canon.
Damn, that was the only thing I had on my resume!!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 12:02 AM   #33
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

J.J. watched all the classic episodes and movies, and even read a couple of old novels in preparation for ST'09. What more "canon knowlege" does one need to make a Star Trek film?
Old September 28 2013, 12:14 AM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
J.J. watched all the classic episodes and movies, and even read a couple of old novels in preparation for ST'09. What more "canon knowlege" does one need to make a Star Trek film?
Unless he knows all about my fanfic he's not fit to make a Trek film!

My fanfic in Canon!!!!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:15 AM   #35
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

That assumes Abrams doesn't know anything, and I believe he did his research.

At any rate I don't think it's necessary that a director know that much about canon. Maybe with even less knowledge, he'll bring a fresh perspective to the franchise, like Abrams did with Trek.

Dream wrote: View Post
thumbtack wrote: View Post
William Shatner is available.
Shatner's directing career peaked with TFF.
If Paramount would keep their hands out of the budget once approved and out of the script then Shatner may be a good choice. Paramount really butchered up TFF leaving Shatner with just a shell of a script and budget from what he wanted in the first place. They are more to blame than Shatner on that movie.
I'm not sure how much better The Final Frontier might have been without Paramount's interference. Improved, definitely, but the core story itself wasn't the strongest Trek could have.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:23 AM   #36
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

If I remember correctly, Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer had NO knowledge or history with Star Trek before they made WOK, the BEST Star Trek movie ever. But they did their research, just like JJ did. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was really good, MUCH better than I expected it to be. I'd love to see Wyatt direct a Star Trek film, or a Star Wars film for that matter.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:51 AM   #37
SeerSGB
Admiral

Leonard Nimoy would be good, not cause of canon, but cause I think he did a great job with STIII and IV. AS for Frakes, I'm not so sure; he's not bad, there's just something about his style that I find lacking.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:08 AM   #38
Opus
Commodore

To be fair to Jonny Frakes, I suspect Berman's heavy hand on TNG's movies. After all, he was charged with 'protecting Gene's vision'.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:12 AM   #39
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Opus wrote: View Post
To be fair to Jonny Frakes, I suspect Berman's heavy hand on TNG's movies. After all, he was charged with 'protecting Gene's vision'.
If I recall correctly, Berman opposed the Dominion War in Deep Space Nine and wanted it over really quickly. He said it went against "Gene's vision".
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 04:06 AM   #40
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

"Gene's vision" also lead to a major problem with Insurrection as well.
Old September 29 2013, 04:50 AM   #41
Opus
Commodore

"Gene's Vision" was $$$, women and sex, the order in which he got any of them was not important.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 07:22 AM   #42
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

He doesn't know the ultra secret extra special super duper handshake. The one that only real Star Trek directors get.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 02:14 PM   #43
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ah, now I see. *waves hands in strange secret gesture*
Old September 29 2013, 06:11 PM   #44
SeerSGB
Admiral

Isn't that what Harve Bennette (sp) did when they were trying to come up with ideals for Star Trek II? TWOK was more happy accident than a deliberate choice; Bennette happening to think Khan would make a great returning villain.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 08:03 PM   #45
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

And boy was Bennett right about that. You don't have to be a lifelong fan to make a good franchise movie, that's an absurd argument to make. WOK is exhibit A of that fact. You need to be a competent director and do research to understand the material. Bennett, Meyer, and JJ all did this, and I'm certain that Wyatt would as well.