Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 22 2013, 11:42 AM   #61
MarsWeeps
Captain

Re: The Cage bridge.

Redfern wrote: View Post
A wider shot left on the cutting room floor reveals Spock is actually gesturing to an "assistant" sitting at the science board to press some buttons or flip some switches.
That's what I always thought every time I saw that scene - he points at someone in order to let them know he wants the next slide displayed.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 09:28 PM   #62
publiusr
Commodore

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
publiusr wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
They lost the slide projectors on the overhead monitors because of the cost...the number of union operators required was too expensive.
That's sad. If I had to make a bridge, I would want every type of display. Plasma screens, rear projectors for a soft light, LEDs LCDs, a little bit over everything to add layers of warmth to the images.
And an army of continuity people to make sure constantly-changing images match from shot to shot.
Not if you had, say, a static star chart on one, some seismograph like zig-zag pattern on another--something general.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 11:41 PM   #63
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

That's sad. If I had to make a bridge, I would want every type of display. Plasma screens, rear projectors for a soft light, LEDs LCDs, a little bit over everything to add layers of warmth to the images.
And an army of continuity people to make sure constantly-changing images match from shot to shot.
Not if you had, say, a static star chart on one, some seismograph like zig-zag pattern on another--something general.
I think some general static shots is what they *do* have.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 04:57 AM   #64
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

He must want them all to have the warm glow of a monitor instead of the flat, lifeless printed-image look they had.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:09 PM   #65
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I thought the color scheme more closely resembles the TMP bridge.
Well, remember, they were still considering NOT using color and going Black and White for the series. The Bridge set for "The Cage was designed with that possibility in mind.

Once the decision to go color was certain, they redesigned the color scheme to 'show off' for color TVs (NBC had a stake in RCA at the time, and selling more color TVs helped the bottom line.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:27 PM   #66
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Well, remember, they were still considering NOT using color and going Black and White for the series.
Do you have a source for that? It's news to me.

AFAIK, Star Trek was always planned to be in color. But, at a time when less than 10% of U.S. households had color TV, the show had to look acceptable in black-and-white as well (hence the change in Spock's makeup from a reddish hue to a yellowish skin tone).
Old September 26 2013, 07:26 PM   #67
Christopher
Writer

(NBC had a stake in RCA at the time, and selling more color TVs helped the bottom line.)
Rather, NBC was owned by RCA at the time. It was actually founded by RCA in 1926, and was owned by them until GE bought up RCA in 1986. These days it's owned by Comcast.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:49 AM   #68
Maurice
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Well, remember, they were still considering NOT using color and going Black and White for the series.
Do you have a source for that? It's news to me.

AFAIK, Star Trek was always planned to be in color. But, at a time when less than 10% of U.S. households had color TV, the show had to look acceptable in black-and-white as well (hence the change in Spock's makeup from a reddish hue to a yellowish skin tone).
It's not like sets for black and white shows were all painted gray, anyway. Cinematographers and set designers and costumers were aware of what things would look like in black and white (heck there's even a kind of special yellow glass sometimes used to reduce everything to monochrome which film people would use to gauge if anything needed adjusting for B&W).
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 12:03 PM   #69
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Indeed...the squad car in Car 54, Where Are You? was actually red and white, because red showed up better than black, for example....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:54 PM   #70
Christopher
Writer

And George Reeves's Superman costume in the black-and-white episodes was actually gray and brown instead of blue and red.

On the other hand, the Robot in Lost in Space was basically colored in grays and silvers in the first season, and had more color added in season 2 when the show went to color.

Old September 27 2013, 06:36 PM   #71
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I honestly can't remember the last time I actually saw an image change on one of those upper monitors. When did they ever do that?

This is in TOS itself, by the way. IIRC, the Defiant bridge in "In a Mirror, Darkly" did have the images change. But they got away with that because it was only one scene and there were no continuity issues.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 07:30 PM   #72
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

The only ones that come to mind are:

The four images from Where No Man Has Gone Before (thank you, Christopher):

...and the pages from Baruch Spinoza's book The Ethics (Part IV):

The Corbomite Maneuver:

Dagger of the Mind:

The Galileo Seven:

The Squire of Gothos:

Friday's Child:

And the Children Shall Lead:

I think a matte shot was planned for "Conscience of the King" where the bridge crew could watch the Karidian Players do Hamlet in the Ship's Theater.

This also doesn't include static shots of Dr. Roger Corby or John Gill.

(I hope I didn't miss any.)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I honestly can't remember the last time I actually saw an image change on one of those upper monitors. When did they ever do that?

This is in TOS itself, by the way. IIRC, the Defiant bridge in "In a Mirror, Darkly" did have the images change. But they got away with that because it was only one scene and there were no continuity issues.

Last edited by GSchnitzer; September 27 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old September 27 2013, 07:57 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

^What about the displays of Dehner and Mitchell's files in the second pilot?

Old September 27 2013, 08:13 PM   #74
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Christopher wrote: View Post
^What about the displays of Dehner and Mitchell's files in the second pilot?
Ah! Very good! Thank you. I missed those. I'll add them in.
Old September 27 2013, 11:16 PM   #75
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The only ones that come to mind are:

The four images from Where No Man Has Gone Before (thank you, Christopher):

...and the pages from Baruch Spinoza's book The Ethics (Part IV):

The Corbomite Maneuver:

Dagger of the Mind:

The Galileo Seven:

The Squire of Gothos:

Friday's Child:

And the Children Shall Lead:

I think a matte shot was planned for "Conscience of the King" where the bridge crew could watch the Karidian Players do Hamlet in the Ship's Theater.

This also doesn't include static shots of Dr. Roger Corby or John Gill.

(I hope I didn't miss any.)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Just FYI - the "Friday's Child" shot you have is from the remastered version of the episode. In the original version of the episode, it was just a bright white light dot on a blue background - and the dot faded out as they were talking.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote