Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: On What Would You Like A New Trek Series Based?
A Starship 38 65.52%
A Fleet 7 12.07%
A Station 2 3.45%
A Colony 7 12.07%
Other (please specify) 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25 2013, 01:55 AM   #106
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

In a nutshell, yes. The theory of infinitely branching timelines based upon every possible outcome would necessitate it. That is the essence of Hugh Everett's idea...

Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:17 AM   #107
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

What if a new Trek series explored that? Traveled through space & time. Too blatant of a Doctor Who ripoff? Even with characters like Q and Guinan? You ever wonder if Guinan was really a Time Lord?
Old September 25 2013, 02:51 AM   #108
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I find that rather complicated and difficult to make work. JHMO
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:59 AM   #109
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Difficult, but not impossible. I mean, Russell T. Davies did it superbly.
Old September 27 2013, 12:23 PM   #110
grendelsbayne
Lieutenant Commander

If going back in time and changing the past has no influence on the present, but only 'creates an alternate timeline', why did the Borg incursion successfully assimilate Earth in FC?

The Mirror Universe and the alternate universes in 'Parallels' were the result of different events occuring naturally. They were not caused by someone going back in time to change the past, so exactly how are they relevant to Nero's incursion?
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 12:28 PM   #111
grendelsbayne
Lieutenant Commander

But getting back to the actual topic of the thread, I would like to see a show that focuses around a starbase/trading post in some frontier region of space, but, instead of following specifically the starbase and its crew, follow lots of different ships as they pass through the area.

Show stories on a local freighter, an alien diplomatic vessel, a deep space survey ship heading out to wherever, and then later coming back to the starbase. Any kind of ship and mission you can think of. And then every once in a while, you can show several of the main character crews meeting up (or not meeting up) on the starbase itself.
Old September 27 2013, 12:47 PM   #112
SeerSGB
Admiral

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
But getting back to the actual topic of the thread, I would like to see a show that focuses around a starbase/trading post in some frontier region of space, but, instead of following specifically the starbase and its crew, follow lots of different ships as they pass through the area.

Show stories on a local freighter, an alien diplomatic vessel, a deep space survey ship heading out to wherever, and then later coming back to the starbase. Any kind of ship and mission you can think of. And then every once in a while, you can show several of the main character crews meeting up (or not meeting up) on the starbase itself.
But why would it be Star Trek? That the thing, why brand with the Star Trek brand beyond cash cowing.
Old September 27 2013, 04:35 PM   #113
grendelsbayne
Lieutenant Commander

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

But why would it be Star Trek? That the thing, why brand with the Star Trek brand beyond cash cowing.
What isn't Star Trek about it? You can show all the exploration, science fiction storylines, Starfleet and the Federation, Colonists, Merchants, Diplomats, Aliens and anything else you think can hold up its own episode(s).

All of these things have been featured on every ST show we've already had, the only thing different about this is that you're showing a little more variety of settings and characters - which, as long as the writers are good, will still not stand in the way of creating characters that people really like and enjoy watching.

The only way it's not Star Trek, imo, is if your definition of ST demands that everything must automatically revolve around 1 starship - a definition none of the existing series actually meets.
Old September 27 2013, 05:03 PM   #114
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The only way it's not Star Trek, imo, is if your definition of ST demands that everything must automatically revolve around 1 starship - a definition none of the existing series actually meets.
Old September 27 2013, 05:31 PM   #115
anh165
Commander

What isn't Star Trek about it? You can show all the exploration, science fiction storylines, Starfleet and the Federation, Colonists, Merchants, Diplomats, Aliens and anything else you think can hold up its own episode(s).
No, what you suggest would be better utilised as a completely different sci fi work of fiction, why does it have to have the Star Trek labelling?

The appeal of classic Trek especially for the casual viewer is that it engages viewers with its space based adventure, no one really wants to see fictional colonists, merchants and diplomats talking about baseball between negotiating peace treaties of fictional planets, that just reeks of self indulgence. Very much what Berman era Trek is guilty of.
Old September 27 2013, 05:34 PM   #116
BillJ
Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post

The appeal of classic Trek especially for the casual viewer is that it engages viewers with its space based adventure, no one really wants to see fictional colonists, merchants and diplomats talking about baseball between negotiating peace treaties of fictional planets, that just reeks of self indulgence. Very much what Berman era Trek is guilty of.
Too find a way to make Trek even duller than it was during much of the Berman era would take an especially talented individual.
Old September 27 2013, 05:47 PM   #117
grendelsbayne
Lieutenant Commander

[QUOTE=anh165;8698105]
No, what you suggest would be better utilised as a completely different sci fi work of fiction, why does it have to have the Star Trek labelling?
Why does any bit of Star Trek *have* to be Star Trek? It doesn't, obviously, so I don't know what the point is of even asking that question. The central question of this thread is what we would like to see for the next ST series, and, out of all the potential new ST series I can think of, this idea is very high on the list of ones I would really like to see.

The point of any story is to focus on the parts of it that are actually interesting, which would fairly obviously not be centered on diplomats discussing baseball in between making treaties. There are all kinds of actually interesting (short and long term) stories that could be made about Federation diplomats or merchants or colonists or anything (and non-fed, as well), even within their own specialties - which does not mean you automatically must always contain the story within their specialties just because. You seriously think alien attacks or weird spacial phenomena only ever happen to massive top of the line starships?

Spaced based adventure is not automatically reserved for ships that say 'USS' in their name.

Also, the biggest advantage of this kind of format would be the ability to switch back and forth between different kinds of characters and settings, so those people who just positively hate merchants for whatever weird reason can still tune in to the other episodes which don't center on the merchants.
Old September 27 2013, 05:57 PM   #118
BillJ
Admiral

Why does any bit of Star Trek *have* to be Star Trek?
It's just odd that most of the people who claim to want Star Trek back don't really want it to be 'Star Trek'.
Old September 27 2013, 06:26 PM   #119
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

^Maybe they want the history, not the story style.
Old September 27 2013, 06:30 PM   #120
BillJ
Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^Maybe they want the history, not the story style.
I'd rather have a brand new universe, one where a creator can explore their own vision. Not something shoe-horned into the Trek universe.