Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 195 56.20%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 57 16.43%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 38 10.95%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 51 14.70%
I don't know. 6 1.73%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 27 2013, 05:02 PM   #151
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Or you jettison all the baggage, and you start over with the characters that are the real pop culture icons: the TOS crew.
I liked TOS and all but I was born in the TNG era, they've been my icon when it comes to Trek.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:38 PM   #152
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Or you jettison all the baggage, and you start over with the characters that are the real pop culture icons: the TOS crew.
I liked TOS and all but I was born in the TNG era, they've been my icon when it comes to Trek.
I actually have a pet theory, completed unsupported by any hard numbers, that most of the opposition to the reboot comes from TNG/DS9/VOY generation fans, as opposed to us old-timers who grew up on TOS, which was arguably pulpier and more action-oriented than the later shows.
Old September 27 2013, 06:08 PM   #153
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I actually have a pet theory, completed unsupported by any hard numbers, that most of the opposition to the reboot comes from TNG/DS9/VOY generation fans, as opposed to us old-timers who grew up on TOS, which was arguably pulpier and more action-oriented than the later shows.
Although not all the complaints about BadRobot Trek, there is a fair number of complaints about it that are specific to things from TNG forward, that were not in TOS, such as Picard's speechfying, and Utopia and everyone always getting along, so, there is definitely a segment of those who dislike BadRobot Trek because it is modeled after TOS, rather than TNG+

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 06:26 PM   #154
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I for one, though born in the TNG era, enjoyed Nutrek.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 07:24 PM   #155
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Although not all the complaints about BadRobot Trek, there is a fair number of complaints about it that are specific to things from TNG forward, that were not in TOS, such as Picard's speechfying, and Utopia and everyone always getting along, so, there is definitely a segment of those who dislike BadRobot Trek because it is modeled after TOS, rather than TNG+
That's my suspicion as well.
Old September 27 2013, 08:07 PM   #156
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I was born before TOS even aired! There's a certain homogenized flavor to TNG, VOY even DS9 I don't care for...
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 12:53 PM   #157
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
That's my suspicion as well.
Speechfying, Utopia and always getting along? Have you guys actually watched TNG, DS9 and VOY?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:23 PM   #158
drt
Commander

Heh, I've been cultivating the same thought.

I also get the feeling there's some resentment that the powers-that-be went back to the beginnings of Star Trek, and that not telling additional stories in the Berman-era continuity was somehow an indictment of the entire period (i.e. the perception being it "failed" and was no longer worth continuing).
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:01 PM   #159
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There is a certain mind set in all fandoms that love continuity. To them its the most important element and makes the thing they're fans of "real". Take that away and they're lost and uncomfortable. They put a lot of stock in knowing the history and the details of the characters/universe. I'm reminded of a question asked by Mark Waid ( then just a fan) following the debut of the post Crisis Superman. "When is the real Superman coming back?"
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:20 PM   #160
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The Prime Timeline never went anywhere. But I would prefer that they stopped making movies in an alternate universe ruled by the producers of the Fast and the Furious films.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:29 PM   #161
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
The Prime Timeline never went anywhere. But I would prefer that they stopped making movies in an alternate universe ruled by the producers of the Fast and the Furious films.
What? Which producer of the Fast and Furious rules the universe?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:05 PM   #162
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
What? Which producer of the Fast and Furious rules the universe?
Heh, I'm not speaking literally; no actual producers of Fast and Furious have yet conquered any universes that I know of (although one might fairly suspect from the ham-fistedness of his technique that Neal Moritz is a Talosian in disguise). NuTrek just happens to look and feel like they did.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 08:15 PM   #163
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Heh, I'm not speaking literally; no actual producers of Fast and Furious have yet conquered any universes that I know of (although one might fairly suspect from the ham-fistedness of his technique that Neal Moritz is a Talosian in disguise). NuTrek just happens to look and feel like they did.

Not even close.
Old September 28 2013, 09:42 PM   #164
BigJake
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Not even close.
One's mileage, of course, may vary.

Actually the Fast and Furious films aren't really that bad as dumb actioners go, and by similar token neither are the NuTrek films. But they are not more than that, and there's a reason two-thirds of the fans of NuTrek preface their film reviews with "I never really cared about Trek before, but..." Anyone who thinks that audience is going to be any more loyal to the rebooted brand than any other dumb actioner is kidding themselves.

Of course, maybe that's a plus in Paramount's outlook. Loyal fans can also be bitchy, demanding fans who sometimes don't really want what they think they want; I see that's been thoroughly hashed out in the other thread.

(I am no really radical partisan of the "Prime Timeline" either, which I feel has been weighed down by too much mediocrity in too many spinoff series. Actually I think "rebooting" in an alternate universe would have been an awesome idea, done with better writing and directing.)
Old September 28 2013, 10:34 PM   #165
BigJake
Rear Admiral

For whatever it's worth, I personally prefer TOS and think BadRobot Trek is more at the level of Lost in Space and the other "junk" SF that Trek was originally designed to stand out from. However pulpy the original article got, it still made some effort -- however flawed -- at believability and internal consistency. There's really not even a hint of that in the Abramsverse.