TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 26 2013, 12:29 AM   #1
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Second try finishing STID...better this time around.

First time I viewed STID I was filled with hope that the movie wasen`t a mindless action movie, but it is in my opinion. The first time I watched it I could not even finish it, but this time around I enjoyed it. I guess the reason for that is simple enough. I knew what to expect and adjusted my expectations accordingly and the fact that I`ve just finished a marathon with TNG,DS9,VOY helped. Lack of material kinda drew me towards the movie again.

Maybe my experience could help others
oddsigve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser
Re: Second try finishing STID...better this time around.

It is a mindless action movie if you ignore all the commentary. Just like how the original series is a mindless space adventure show if you ignore all the commentary.
Old September 26 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

What commentary? Cruise missiles and evil admirals are bad?

And mindless it was indeed. The action and eye candy in the prologue rely on extreme contrivances. What is the reason to hide the ship under water? Why can't they suddenly not beam someone? The chase sequence with the Klingons comes out of nowhere and is absolutely unnesseccarry. You could cut it out and it wouldn't change a thing. And that's only a few examples.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^Show me an episode or movie that can't be picked apart in a similar fashion by an OCD spaz.
Old September 26 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^Show me an episode or movie that can't be picked apart in a similar fashion by an OCD spaz.
And it's not just Star Trek too, it's the majority of movies and TV shows out there, whatever genre you can think of.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 03:59 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

oddsigve wrote: View Post
First time I viewed STID I was filled with hope that the movie wasen`t a mindless action movie, but it is in my opinion. The first time I watched it I could not even finish it, but this time around I enjoyed it. I guess the reason for that is simple enough. I knew what to expect and adjusted my expectations accordingly and the fact that I`ve just finished a marathon with TNG,DS9,VOY helped. Lack of material kinda drew me towards the movie again.

Its no more an mindless action movie than Star Trek: First Contact.
Old September 26 2013, 04:23 PM   #7
JamesRye
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's not mindless.

The movie acts as a metaphor for America’s descent into moral ambiguity following the terrorist attacks of 9/11. The hunt for John Harrison is analagous to the search for Bin Laden and the debate about whether to launch photon torpedoes at the Klingon home world is relevant to current debates regarding the morality of drone strikes.

It's also quite fun.
For more information on why the film is actually surprisingly political:

http://ryesofthegeek.wordpress.com/2...s-film-review/

And yeh, which of the TNG films was a cutting social commentary with interesting things to say?
JamesRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

JamesRye wrote: View Post
And yeh, which of the TNG films was a cutting social commentary with interesting things to say?
I would argue that all of them have commentary. They just aren't new commentaries, we've seen them in Trek before.

I like that they took the effort to ask political questions in an ambiguous way in STID, but this is 2013, the internet has been around for a while now.

It's not like they were talking about things in that movie that people haven't already been talking about for years now.

In that way it is difficult to make a movie with a message, unless that message is about something that virtually nobody talks about.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 03:56 AM   #9
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Balance of Terror is stupid, it's just about how stupid hate and war is. Anyone can say that.

STiD attacked the United States foreign policy in a summer action movie, at a time where we are in two wars and the government seems eager for a third. All while using drones to invade the air spaces of other countries to kill people without a trial.

That's sort of a big deal and a major one considering that a major film studio did it with one of the best known media franchises in history as one of their tentpole films.

Regardless if you enjoyed the story, it is a message and a bold one to take. If you can't see that your irrational hate of the movie has blinded you to the obvious.
Old September 27 2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Opus
Commodore

One
Hopes it could help. But

Just a little maybe.
Anybody who felt they same way for sure.
Realize not every single
One feels the same way.
Don't you agree?

Since you bring it up:
Out of all the Treks.
Can you identify the one you
Know is your favorite?
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

What was the message for Insurrection? Don't move native people for reasons that could benefit other people? Even though there's that episode where they move the Native American stereotypes off that colony for reasons I can't remember, but Picard was just going to beam them up like the space hippies. So that's weird. The rest about revenge being a bad thing and Picard's line about time and death that spells it out in Generations.
Old September 27 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
What was the message for Insurrection? Don't move native people for reasons that could benefit other people? Even though there's that episode where they move the Native American stereotypes off that colony for reasons I can't remember, but Picard was just going to beam them up like the space hippies. So that's weird. The rest about revenge being a bad thing and Picard's line about time and death that spells it out in Generations.
In my opinion, Insurrection failed in delivering its message. It clearly wanted a moral about how forced relocation is bad, but they made the Ba'ku appear extremely selfish, unwilling to share their planet just to preserve their luxuries. It was made worse when Picard developed a romantic relationship with one of them, introducing the possibility of bias on his part.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 11:38 AM   #13
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Man up.

My 4 year old girl managed to watch it in 3D in the cinema. She managed to stay until the end.

I watched "The Naked Now" the whole way through without crying. Sure there was screaming, hand wringing and eye rolling but I manned up and saw the whole thing.

Like another poster I can't believe people saw deep and meangingful messages in INS but are traumatised by the 'shallowness' of STID.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 11:43 AM   #14
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

INS is just a bloated double episode full of classic Trek tropes. Not good, not bad, not really a movie.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Does the one hundredth person to open another hate thread like this win anything?

I will say that if one isn't familiar with the politics of the U.S., especially since 9/11, some of the allusions in the movie may be lost on that person. But mindless action? Really? There wasn't even one thing meaningful in that movie for an engaged mind to comprehend? Really? No theme? No character arcs? Nothing? Nothing at all?

(By the way folks, it's fine to have the opinion that the movie is full of too many contrivances and not well written, but how does that lead to the conclusion that it's also devoid of ideas, themes, and character arcs?)