RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 684
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 27 2013, 07:34 AM   #1
CommodoreDecker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Location: Next to the grave of the great Klingon Warrior Kahless
Revamped idea for a New show. Star Trek : Star Fleet Intelligence

A reboot of the old idea Star Trek, Section 31. My fellow Trekites on here thought it was a horrible idea. A behind the shadows organization, that answers to no one. And goes against the very core values of the Federation and has a clear cut mandate: Protect the Federation at ALL COST! Ok now after intense debates on the subject, Maybe "Star Fleet Intelligence" would be better and more "Federation user friendly" same concept, Mission Impossible meets Star Trek and just maybe Section 31 could be the antagonist for the Federation as the bad guys

http://youtu.be/xzA1xaOAo9M
Section 31 is referenced here in Star Trek Renegades
Old September 27 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Revamped idea for a New show. Star Trek : Star Fleet Intelligence

Where and how does the trekking among the stars come into this? You know, that eponymous thing that makes Star Trek cool and fun.
Old September 27 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

No.
Old September 27 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It would have to be amazingly made and written for it to be any good, otherwise I think I'll pass.
Old September 27 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Smellmet
Commander

I liked the Section 31 idea and I like this - it would help tie in the current movies. Star Trek has to change, just 'exploring' has had it's chance - a new show has to have a different angle for me
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Infern0
Captain

To be honest, when Star Trek DOES eventually come back to tv, I don't think it will be drastically different from what has come before.

I'm expecting a traditional ship-based show, Star Trek: The New Generation basically

It'll be interesting to see what they do, my hopes of a return to the prime continuity are fading, and I think it will be morel likely some sort of reboot, but other than that I don't expect it to be drastically different
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
jpv2000
Captain

This idea I like. I posted this in the other topic.

"I could get into this. Maybe someone in the regular branch of Starfleet Intelligence with a super fast vessel to get from place to place, where ever the current trouble spot was and running into Section 31 agents. Sometimes having to work with them and other times against them."
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Smellmet wrote: View Post
I liked the Section 31 idea and I like this - it would help tie in the current movies. Star Trek has to change, just 'exploring' has had it's chance - a new show has to have a different angle for me
Then what's the point of it being 'Star Trek'?

This is the one thing that always just confuses me to no end: people want 'Star Trek' back but they don't want it to be 'Star Trek'.
Old September 27 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
CommodoreDecker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It would have to be amazingly made and written for it to be any good, otherwise I think I'll pass.
I don't recall you coming up with any ideas for a new series or anything for that matter. When you do, please let me know
Old September 27 2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

CommodoreDecker wrote: View Post
I don't recall you coming up with any ideas for a new series or anything for that matter. When you do, please let me know
No need to get personal.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I love spy stuff but Star Trek should focus on exploring the Final Frontier not spy stuff though an ocassional story or arc about that is fine with me.
Old September 27 2013, 09:06 PM   #12
CommodoreDecker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
Smellmet wrote: View Post
Then what's the point of it being 'Star Trek'?

This is the one thing that always just confuses me to no end: people want 'Star Trek' back but they don't want it to be 'Star Trek'.
Baffles me too Bill!
Old September 27 2013, 09:26 PM   #13
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Section 31 should be erased from existence. I love espionage thrillers. And I've often thought doing something along those lines--on a limited scale--in Star Trek could be fun. But from a conceptual stand-point, S31 is, and always has been, really stupid.

I admit, Sadler gave a great performance, but the premise of the character was faulty to begin with. He and it should have stayed buried on DS9.

S31's appearance on ENT was pointless, it was mostly pointless in STiD, and the novels are terrible.

That said, in the months leading-up to STiD when there were rumblings S31 was going to make an appearance in the film, I had suggested they might do it as a set-up for the next film (ST13/S31). The concept does seem like the kind of thing Abrams would be into ... "SD-6" after all.

I'd just prefer they didn't. And absolutely not with a TV series.
Old September 28 2013, 01:28 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That said, in the months leading-up to STiD when there were rumblings S31 was going to make an appearance in the film, I had suggested they might do it as a set-up for the next film (ST13/S31). The concept does seem like the kind of thing Abrams would be into ... "SD-6" after all.
The rumblings went on for close to a year prior to STID's release. They began in June 2012 when the Ongoing comic series introduced a group of shady Starfleet officers most fans assumed were Section 31 and believed this to be set up for the movie.
Old September 28 2013, 08:13 AM   #15
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

CommodoreDecker wrote: View Post
I have loads of ideas for what I want to see in the next Trek series—which fan doesn’t—as well as do a fair bit of original fanfic writing (which can be found in the appropriate board here), so I have nothing wrong with different ideas and takes on Trek.

Whilst the NuTrek movies have brought in big bucks and exposed the masses to Star Trek, that doesn’t mean all those people are going to watch a new series. So it should be rooted in what makes Trek what it is, a group of adventurous people heading into the unknown to see all they can see and go in pursuit of knowledge, not futuristic gadgets and phaser fights. Action has always played a part in Trek, but it isn’t all it was meant to be, it should explore important subject matters in intelligent and unusual angles, not resolving matters by technobabble or firing torpedoes.

In order to attract a new audience, it would have to get the right look and feel, with well written stories, compelling and well thought out characters. After the limp wristed ENT it needs to be about substance as much as style, without resorting to stripping off attractive women or men just to show its “sexy and edgy”.