Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 27 2013, 04:17 AM   #76
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Seekers

Some of my (minor) concerns:

1. Doing the throwback approach might be confusing for some. Beyond the long, long time readers who will get it, it might be too much of a niche within a niche. Then again, the big numbers on the cover may drive people to really pick up the book and examine it.

2. An Endeavor in Seekers and an Endeavor in ROTF. A bit repetitous, but not much you can do about that now. And I would prefer ROTF keep with established tradition of naming NX-class ships after the space shuttles. Perhaps this is an opportunity to create some continuity between the two: create a sense that ships named Endeavor have as proud a tradition as ships named Enterprise, etc.

3. I'm looking forward to the series, but without the political and archeology angles of Vanguard that differentiated it from TOS, I hope there is a new angle to make it stand out.

JD wrote: View Post
I didn't even think about that. Would that be a first for Trek lit?
I don't know if I'd consider the above example about NF. That seemed more like continuing to use the same characters across two series. Then again, Seekers sounds like such a direct spin-off that I guess it should really be called a sequel series. Which they may have. I don't have the announcement in front of me. Semantics.
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 04:55 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
2. An Endeavor in Seekers and an Endeavor in ROTF. A bit repetitous, but not much you can do about that now.
Well, for a while there were three ongoing book series featuring ships named Enterprise, and there are still two.

What I find interesting is that not only do both series feature an Endeavour, but in both series it's the larger one of a pair of hero ships.

And I would prefer ROTF keep with established tradition of naming NX-class ships after the space shuttles.
Well, that was established in the preceding ENT novels, which between them gave us Challenger NX-03, Discovery NX-04, Atlantis NX-05, and Endeavour NX-06. Endeavour was the only one other than Enterprise that survived the war according to the books, and Enterprise was retired. So it was really the only one left I could use.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to create some continuity between the two: create a sense that ships named Endeavor have as proud a tradition as ships named Enterprise, etc.
There have been references in screen graphics to a couple of 24th-century Endeavours, and one was mentioned in dialogue in VGR as having encountered the Borg.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 10:26 AM   #78
Markonian
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I would prefer ROTF keep with established tradition of naming NX-class ships after the space shuttles.
Well, that was established in the preceding ENT novels, which between them gave us Challenger NX-03, Discovery NX-04, Atlantis NX-05, and Endeavour NX-06. Endeavour was the only one other than Enterprise that survived the war according to the books, and Enterprise was retired. So it was really the only one left I could use.
Wikipedia lists a number of mock-ups with spaceworthy names, like Pathfinder. Also, even though it isn't an US-American product, I'd like to see a Columbia-class Buran.
That would depend whether or not more Columbia-class ships will actually be built. IFM mentioned 16 ships altogether but isn't a mandatory source anymore.

There have been references in screen graphics to a couple of 24th-century Endeavours, and one was mentioned in dialogue in VGR as having encountered the Borg.
Maybe we'll see a fleeting reference to a 24th century Endeavour in one of the other novels? For sentimentality's sake.
Old September 27 2013, 11:03 AM   #79
Relayer1
Commodore

IFM is in a weird limbo now - whilst it will not be referenced again, it had already been referenced before that decision was made. Whilst we will probably as individuals have to assume that Scotty pulled off another miracle to escape, someone (probably Christopher) will have to decide how many NX's are built and if they are built as the previous ships or in the 'refit' configuration.
Old September 27 2013, 02:31 PM   #80
Christopher
Writer

^Heck, personally I like to think that Enterprise herself was refitted with a secondary hull sometime during the Romulan War. The books never say it wasn't, despite what the cover of To Brave the Storm shows.

Old September 27 2013, 04:02 PM   #81
Relayer1
Commodore

Maybe you could mention it's secondary hull in a novel and clear the matter up !

From what you have written about other classes of ship being developed from NX parts it wouldn't be a stretch for there to be a family or generation of related ships in production - new versions of the original NX, refit style, Pioneer and maybe others.
Old September 27 2013, 04:11 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Maybe you could mention it's secondary hull in a novel and clear the matter up !
I'd rather leave it ambiguous, up to the individual reader to decide.

Old September 27 2013, 04:47 PM   #83
Relayer1
Commodore

Fair enough !

There's another thread on here regarding the new Polar Lights Enterprise kit that let's you build either the original or refit version.

Unusual, I think.
Old September 28 2013, 01:28 AM   #84
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Unusual but not unwelcome.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:51 AM   #85
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

^Heck, personally I like to think that Enterprise herself was refitted with a secondary hull sometime during the Romulan War. The books never say it wasn't, despite what the cover of To Brave the Storm shows.
Hmm... it would probably take a fair bit of time in-universe to do that. I don't recall the RW books that well; was there enough "downtime" for Enterprise during the war to fit a refit in?
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:48 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Hmm... it would probably take a fair bit of time in-universe to do that. I don't recall the RW books that well; was there enough "downtime" for Enterprise during the war to fit a refit in?
Oh, absolutely. There are a lot of time gaps in the books -- especially book 2, which covers the last four years of the war -- and NX-01 undergoes at least a couple of significant repairs/refits.

Old September 28 2013, 04:28 PM   #87
Fer
Commander

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'd rather leave it ambiguous, up to the individual reader to decide.
Thank you for that. As much as I admire the refit design, I like that the NX-01 is more of a predecessor to the Akira class than the Constitution class.

I'm okay with the NX-refit being a "running change" to the way the NX ships were built after the NX-01 was retired, or even as a later class of starship. It's definitely the next developmental step for starships, but part of the NX-01's appeal imho is that her time was before that step was taken.
Old September 29 2013, 04:23 AM   #88
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

1. Doing the throwback approach might be confusing for some. Beyond the long, long time readers who will get it, it might be too much of a niche within a niche.
Fans keep demanding that "Star Trek" takes some risks.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 04:48 PM   #89
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

1. Doing the throwback approach might be confusing for some. Beyond the long, long time readers who will get it, it might be too much of a niche within a niche.
Fans keep demanding that "Star Trek" takes some risks.
For every fan that want that, there's a fan who wants the stead state" version of the Trek unverse. Not everyone will be happy a the same time.
Old September 29 2013, 04:52 PM   #90
Elias Vaughn
Captain

I, for one, plan to be unhappy as long as everyone else is happy. Catch 22's make me smile.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote