New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 24 2013, 05:15 AM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Spock's child - yay or nay?

I think you're entering the realm of fanfiction, sir.
Old September 24 2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
Why would the kid want to sacrifice himself to restore a timeline that never existed?
To get away from his whinging mother
Old September 24 2013, 01:08 PM   #18
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I think the whole idea of Spock's child by either Saavik or Uhura is just fine--depending upon what you do with it.

Somehow restoring one or the other timeline seems to me the kind of story that would only appeal to certain hardcore fans, leaving everyone else wondering what the hell is going on? Essentially it reads like a (possibly very good) piece of fan fiction rather than something intended for a general audience (although to be sure the two are not mutually exclusive).

What kind of person is this child? Where did they call home? How do they feel about Starfleet, the Federation, their parents? Describe their personality in some way and you might get my interest.

Conversely you might ask--which Vulcan or seeming Vulcan we've met already might actually be this offspring? Admiral Savar, for example? Sokanna? Might Vorick be Spock's grandson?
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 02:39 PM   #19
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

This has got to happen.

I've been waiting 20 years for this. Bring it on!

That's why Saavik stayed behind on Vulcan to have the baby and keep it secret from Spock. She doesn't want Spock to know what he did. Looks like I'm writing the fanfiction story right here.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:50 PM   #20
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

David.Blue wrote: View Post
Somehow restoring one or the other timeline seems to me the kind of story that would only appeal to certain hardcore fans, leaving everyone else wondering what the hell is going on? Essentially it reads like a (possibly very good) piece of fan fiction rather than something intended for a general audience (although to be sure the two are not mutually exclusive).

What kind of person is this child? Where did they call home? How do they feel about Starfleet, the Federation, their parents? Describe their personality in some way and you might get my interest.
I've spent a lot of time grooming my idea for a series. I know in my head it won't ever be THE idea that saves Star Trek, but I feel like Sisko in "Far Beyond The Stars", my idea is REAL! And I CREATED IT!

I think if a story were told, the emphasis wouldn't necessarily even have to be "fixing the timeline" as much as it would be "saving the galaxy", and you find out toward the end that what's happening is actually a restoration of the timeline. What this does is gives you at least three very cool things: first, it gives you a new set of characters to explore, do all the good Trek work. Second, it gives you a great overall environment for places and aliens to check out. And lastly, even if just for a few seconds, if done right, it gives you a chance to see the new Kirk and Company in the old school uniforms on the old school bridge of the old school Enterprise, which, despite how contrived that may be, if done right, would be the thing that secretly we all want to see. Just for a second.

If this child of Spock were to be in the new Verse, he would be a refugee. Vulcan is gone. Earth is still there, but Kahn did some damage to Earth. Are the Klingons going to be at war with us in ST3? What's going to happen 100 years from now? 200? If Spock-hura grows up in that universe, would he be more Human than Vulcan instead of the formula of more Vulcan than Human? Would he be emotional? Would he be a warrior, a philosopher, a doctor?
Old September 26 2013, 12:45 PM   #21
SeerSGB
Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
This has got to happen.

I've been waiting 20 years for this. Bring it on!

That's why Saavik stayed behind on Vulcan to have the baby and keep it secret from Spock. She doesn't want Spock to know what he did. Looks like I'm writing the fanfiction story right here.
Probably why the idea was jettisoned in the first place. That and the idea is made all the ewwww, when you factor in that in the novels and comics Spock is sort of an adoptive father to Saavik--having rescued her from Hellguard as child and taken on himself to raise in the ways of Vulcan.

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
It would be cool if Spock and Uhura had a kiddo that grew up and ultimately sacrificed himself to restore the timeline... give it the whole emotional bonding to a character that gets Jossed.
So basically ripping of the story behind the novel Time For Yesterday.
Old September 26 2013, 04:44 PM   #22
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

I've never read Time For Yesterday. Is it good? I don't read the books. It's not canon, so, to me, I've never felt it necessary to put forth the effort.
Old September 26 2013, 05:14 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I've never read Time For Yesterday. Is it good? I don't read the books. It's not canon, so, to me, I've never felt it necessary to put forth the effort.
Why does it matter if the books are canon? There are some really good stories out there.
Old September 26 2013, 05:45 PM   #24
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Whether you read the books or not is your decision. I won't chime in either way.

But here's my recommendation--write that story you have in your head!
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 05:57 PM   #25
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why does it matter if the books are canon? There are some really good stories out there.
Also, "put in the effort" is the wrong way to go about it. If you read them, it should be because you want to enjoy those stories, not because you "have to endure them". Which, really, is, what the problem is with the General Audience and a heavy "necessary to know" continuity. The General Audience isn't interested enough to want to watch everything and catch up on continuity, so, for them, it would be having to put in effort.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 08:09 PM   #26
SeerSGB
Admiral

Uh...wow.

That's just down right insulting to the authors.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Stories that ended up being the reference materials behind some of the stuff in the reboots.
Old September 26 2013, 10:00 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Uh...wow.

Eh... that's a stretch to reach for an insult. Fact of the matter is the vast majority of people aren't going to read a book these days when they can stare at a computer or tv screen. It's just the way it is.
Old September 27 2013, 02:20 AM   #28
SeerSGB
Admiral

Uh...wow.

Eh... that's a stretch to reach for an insult. Fact of the matter is the vast majority of people aren't going to read a book these days when they can stare at a computer or tv screen. It's just the way it is.
Not really. It's basically saying "I'll never read your stuff cause it doesn't matter, it's not important." It's the dismissive attitude towards the works and by extension the authors that's offensive; treating it's somehow lesser quality cause it doesn't fit into some (largely already contradictory) canonical structure.
Old September 27 2013, 03:49 AM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Uh...wow.

Not really. It's basically saying "I'll never read your stuff cause it doesn't matter, it's not important." It's the dismissive attitude towards the works and by extension the authors that's offensive; treating it's somehow lesser quality cause it doesn't fit into some (largely already contradictory) canonical structure.
Again, I'll say you're reaching to be insulted by that as that's not what he said. All he said is he was he doesn't read the books since they're not canon. Everything else, are conclusions you're drawing.
Old September 27 2013, 03:55 AM   #30
SeerSGB
Admiral

Again, I'll say you're reaching to be insulted by that as that's not what he said. All he said is he was he doesn't read the books since they're not canon. Everything else, are conclusions you're drawing.
There's a difference between: "I only watch the show (movie) I don't read the books" and "I don't read the books cause they're not worth the effort cause their not canon".

The former is simply a statement of preference, the latter is a judgement that since they're not canon they don't matter anyway so they are worthless to the franchise.

You call it reaching, I call it an insult. We'r not going to agree on it.