TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 24 2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Extent of V'Ger's journey

V'ger comes across as incredibly old and having travelled a portion of the universe similar to Destiny in SG:U.

Whatever Voyager 6 fell into, may not even have been a wormhole, but some strange multigalactic or universe spanning event Starfleet has barely any understanding of.
Old September 25 2013, 01:12 AM   #17
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But that wasn't the impression given by the Spock Walk sequence. It implied that what we were seeing was stuff that V'Ger had directly imaged and/or digitized.
Perhaps it is a lack of clarity on the part of the filmmakers but the really cool electric lite-brite planet Spock first passes over when discarding his thruster thingie was intended to be the machine planet where vger was repaired (this is made pretty clear in interviews with Trumbull and I think Greg Jein at or shortly after the film's release ... I even remember it was built by a guy named Joe Garlington.)

It's inclusion here would mean what, that vger digitized/zapped his re-builder before booking out to find his creator? I don't see that as terribly likely, which suggests this is as stated in the film, an imaging system displaying a record of its travels, which just happens to include stuff it zapped (unless it actually digitized 'whole galaxies' or even whole star systems, which seems like overkill.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Two words: warp drive.
^Two words: enormous universe.
Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:29 PM   #19
WarpFactorZ
Captain

xvicente wrote: View Post
With apologies for mentioning the possibility of the Borg connection (some people seem to dislike it much), when we met VGer it used to store data patterns ("assimilate"?) of the lifeforms and planets he encountered, possibly absorving their knowledge. That would really speed up the process (of learning everything).
Sounds like we need to start a "V'Ger vs. the Borg: who would win?" thread...
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 07:23 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Sounds like we need to start a "V'Ger vs. the Borg: who would win?" thread...
Which is tantamount to a "The Borg vs. Hammurabi: who would win?" thread. Like I keep saying, V'Ger's technology is immensely beyond the Borg's.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Sran
Commodore

^Agreed. People like making the Borg/V'Ger connection because of Spock's description and Shatner's novels linking the origins of the two. But there's really no comparison between them.

--Sran
Old September 27 2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Tulin
Vice Admiral

That's weird - until this very thread, I assumed EVERYBODY just accepted the V'ger/Borg connection as true!

The things you learn.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:06 AM   #23
Sran
Commodore

^And that's why you don't assume. There's nothing similar about them.

--Sran
Old September 27 2013, 02:53 AM   #24
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
That's weird - until this very thread, I assumed EVERYBODY just accepted the V'ger/Borg connection as true!

The things you learn.
If anybody at Paramount had taken it seriously, I'm guessing Persis Khambatta would have been playing the Borg Queen.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:58 AM   #25
Sran
Commodore

^Not only that, but there would have been some mention of it during TNG. Something that significant would have been spelled out on screen, not left for people to wonder about.

--Sran
Old September 27 2013, 03:40 AM   #26
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Gene Roddenberry half-jokingly suggested the Borg-V'Ger connection. Mr. Shatner just expanded upon it.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 04:01 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry half-jokingly suggested the Borg-V'Ger connection. Mr. Shatner just expanded upon it.
Rather, Mr. and Mrs. Reeves-Stevens expanded on it. They were the ones responsible for all the intricate Trek-continuity stuff in the novels. Shatner probably couldn't have cared less about the Borg.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:02 AM   #28
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Weird - maybe that's why I thought they were connected.

It's strange when you learn things that you just thought every one else always felt as well. Kinda like when I wandered into this thread a couple years back and learned that suddenly, apparently, we all hate TUC now.

I was like.......WEIRD!!!

I had always just known it was one of the most well received and respected of the TOS films.

I guess I was wrong and you all educated me.

*Goes back to ignorance in the shadows*
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 01:28 AM   #29
Procutus
Admiral

Although I find the possibility of a V'GER/Borg connection intriguing from a fictional point of view, it IS one damn large universe, so to my way of thinking, the actually probability of that occurring is pretty slim. I think that Christopher is right - V'GER's tech is far, far more advanced that the Borg's.
Old October 5 2013, 09:04 PM   #30
publiusr
Commodore

Agreed. I wish more was done with the Vegan Tyranny, and the group that set up the refurbishment station on Enterprise.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote