Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 26 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

Could the Borg assimilate The Founders?

If the Borg had attempted to invade The Dominion and assimilate them could they have done so with The Founders? Would shape shifters had produced shape shifting Borg? Would the attempt not hold when they reverted to their natural state?
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Could the Borg assimilate The Founders?

There would by a microscopic fight between shifting cells and adapting nanoprobes that i think the changleing would win but not quickly.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 12:14 AM   #3
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

When the Borg tried to assimilate Species 8472, they had a hard time doing so because the tissue structure was too dense. I think a Changeling would be able to change their structure on a microscopic level and be dense enough to destroy the nanites. Changelings don't really have cells, or at least that's what we seem to be lead to believe.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
If the Borg had attempted to invade The Dominion and assimilate them could they have done so with The Founders? Would shape shifters had produced shape shifting Borg? Would the attempt not hold when they reverted to their natural state?
Could the Founders modify the Jem'hadar's DNA to resist assimilation? I would assume that would be there frontline defense.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Sran
Fleet Captain

wingsabre wrote: View Post
When the Borg tried to assimilate Species 8472, they had a hard time doing so because the tissue structure was too dense. I think a Changeling would be able to change their structure on a microscopic level and be dense enough to destroy the nanites. Changelings don't really have cells, or at least that's what we seem to be lead to believe.
Careful with wording. They're nanoprobes, not nanites. Nanites were part of an experiment by Wesley Crusher gone awry.

--Sran
Old September 27 2013, 03:19 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

wingsabre wrote: View Post
That's pretty much exactly what happened in one of the novels.
Old October 3 2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Short-term - the founders can withstand assimilation.
Long-term - the borg adapt their nanoprobes* to assimilate the founders (the founder may be able to turn into water, etc, but if that was only water - not something far more complex masquerading as water - the founder would not be able to think, act, etc).

*Nanoprobes can assimilate not only organics, but also machines made by dense materials, etc. With 8472 the nanoprobes had problems with the immune system, not density of the tissue.
Old October 3 2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Founders can change into fog. ...And rocks. Good luck, Borg.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^And fire in some cases.
Old October 3 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

As said, if the founders were merely fog, rocks, fire (as opposed to being complex beings masquerading as fog, rocks, etc), the founders would not be able to think, act, etc.
Give the nanoprobes enough time to adapt by trial and error and they'll find where this complexity hides. And then, it's bye-bye founders.
Old October 3 2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Seven of Five
Commodore

Borg Founders. Now there's some serious shit. Why hasn't this happened yet?
Old October 3 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
As said, if the founders were merely fog, rocks, fire (as opposed to being complex beings masquerading as fog, rocks, etc), the founders would not be able to think, act, etc.
Give the nanoprobes enough time to adapt by trial and error and they'll find where this complexity hides. And then, it's bye-bye founders.
I'm sure they can think. When Laas was fog and was asked to stop, he did. Plus Odo turns into the objects in his quarters all the time and still remembers to turn back before his shifts. In the first few episodes he listened in on conversations as cups of liquids and broke out of a locker as a bag that was filled and zipped up.
Old October 4 2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Pondwater
Commodore

The Founders are more that Limey aware of the Borg and may have develop some virus.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:14 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
When a Founder masquerades as something, it is completely indistinguishable from that thing. I can only assume, then if one of them changes into something that has no cells, like water or fog, then there would be nothing for the Borg nanoprobes to 'lock on' to.

If a Founder is posing as a human, and is attacked by a Borg, then they would have plenty of time to shape shift into something that could resist assimilation.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The problem for the Founder is, once the Borg figures out they have a regeneration cycle, they'd probably exploit that.

Having to revert to a liquid 18 hours or so, or not being able to totally maintain a solid shape indefinitely, is something of a weakness for the Founders.

This weakness has been exploited at 3 separate times.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote