IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2013, 05:34 PM   #16
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Dads is easily first.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 05:49 PM   #17
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
The one that really has me going 'What were they thinking?' in terms of the premise and how they'll be able to continue on for very long is Hostages. The doctor's family were all horrible people and if she let them die I wouldn't blame her. The whole 'is he good, or is he bad' about Dylan McDermott's character is interesting, for a little while at least. But how they'll pull this off for a whole season, let alone longer, I have no idea
My understanding with Hostages is that it's only 15 episodes and then it's done. If all 15 episodes are already shot, and they know it's over I doubt it'll get cancelled unless the ratings are horrible, and even then they can finish it on Saturday nights. Of course Under the Dome was supposed to be only one season and some genius ordered a 2nd season, so who know what will really happen.
Old September 26 2013, 06:16 PM   #18
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
The Blacklist. Feels like a Homeland lite, and apart from Spader, nothing much interesting or new in opener. Unless they pull something really interesting, or it dramatically improves, can't see it lasting.
It's on NBC and it's on after The Voice, unless the ratings bomb real bad in week 2 it will be around all season.
This.

First, it's on NBC.

Second, it beat Hostages in the head to head by more than 5 million viewers and more than doubled Hostages 1.8 in the demo. It also did better than Bones and Castle on the same night.

Thirdly, and most importantly, NBC. Unless it has a *huge* drop-off it'll be here for a second season.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post

I also have bad feeling about Dracula.
Isn't Dracula just a miniseries anyways?
It's been called a limited run series but that can mean it's either a one season and done deal or it means it has a small number of episodes per season. NBC really hasn't made it clear if they expect more than one season. ABC has called Once Upon a Time in Wonderland a limited series but it's expected to go beyond one season. Fox has a limited series coming out next year that's just a one season and done show. So there some confusion about the term.
Old September 26 2013, 07:36 PM   #20
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I still haven't seen Super Fun Night so I'm not gonna judge it yet, but from what I've heard I'd agree it'll likely be cancelled.

The one that really has me going 'What were they thinking?' in terms of the premise and how they'll be able to continue on for very long is Hostages. The doctor's family were all horrible people and if she let them die I wouldn't blame her. The whole 'is he good, or is he bad' about Dylan McDermott's character is interesting, for a little while at least. But how they'll pull this off for a whole season, let alone longer, I have no idea.

My guess is either Hostages or Trophy Wife will be the first cancelled if Super Fun Night isn't.
No one has seen it because SFN got such horrible reviews by the critics they pulled the pilot and will be starting with the second episode.

Kirby wrote: View Post
The one that really has me going 'What were they thinking?' in terms of the premise and how they'll be able to continue on for very long is Hostages. The doctor's family were all horrible people and if she let them die I wouldn't blame her. The whole 'is he good, or is he bad' about Dylan McDermott's character is interesting, for a little while at least. But how they'll pull this off for a whole season, let alone longer, I have no idea
My understanding with Hostages is that it's only 15 episodes and then it's done. If all 15 episodes are already shot, and they know it's over I doubt it'll get cancelled unless the ratings are horrible, and even then they can finish it on Saturday nights. Of course Under the Dome was supposed to be only one season and some genius ordered a 2nd season, so who know what will really happen.
The creators of Under the Dome have come out and said they never planned on the 13th episode being the last, that they have ideas for 2-3-4 seasons.

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post

Takeru wrote: View Post

I also have bad feeling about Dracula.
Isn't Dracula just a miniseries anyways?
It's been called a limited run series but that can mean it's either a one season and done deal or it means it has a small number of episodes per season. NBC really hasn't made it clear if they expect more than one season. ABC has called Once Upon a Time in Wonderland a limited series but it's expected to go beyond one season. Fox has a limited series coming out next year that's just a one season and done show. So there some confusion about the term.
Once Upon a Time was called a limited series by the creators of the show as they wanted it to fill in for the winter. ABC never came out and said anything. But they seemed to enjoy the 16 minute pilot pitch and went to series. I have a feeling it will bomb, ABC knows it and that's why it got the 8pm Thursday death slot. So then the creators thought it would be 13 and done, and ABC has somethign for a few months.
Old September 26 2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I'm surprised at the reaction to Hostages, its the only new show so far this season that has really intrigued me. I really liked the pilot.

I think that Mom may be canceled first, or probably Super Fun Night. I have a feeling it will be a comedy, and that the dramas will last for a while.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
The Blacklist. Feels like a Homeland lite, and apart from Spader, nothing much interesting or new in opener. Unless they pull something really interesting, or it dramatically improves, can't see it lasting.
Definitely. I saw the first ten or so minutes last night, and it was pathetic. A top fugitive walks into the FBI HQ... and something like thirty guards fan out with their weapons drawn in a beautifully symmetric display, with not one shouting so much as a word?!

Also, one of my friends back in high school loudly and repeatedly considered Harry Lennix the worst actor ever for the way he barked "Dammit Morpheus!" and other lines in The Matrix Reloaded, and now whenever I see him in Man of Steel or here, I just get this instant "totally horrible actor!" reaction, which I don't even feel myself, but I haven't seen him show any other performance, either. Seems he's always playing Commander Locke.
Serbian terrorist with a Russian accent, and with a seemingly Islamic surname (definitely not Slavic)... Jesus, why do American screenwriters always screw these things up? Wikipedia is just a click away, for fuck sake. What is it that they say? In the age of information, ignorance is a choice? Shit.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
But seeing as it was the highest rated premiere for a drama in four seasons, I doubt that it's going anywhere soon.
Remember that obscure little show called Enterprise? How many people watched Broken Bow? 12 million? Just sayin'.

Also, Flash Forward and Terra Nova opened with similar numbers, IIRC.

Last edited by Mach5; September 26 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 09:06 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mach brings up a good point. Sleepy Hollow was the number one fall premiere show in 12 years for Fox and it's best in 4 years. But the shows it beat weren't by much and all of them, besides The Following, were canceled after a season.
Old September 26 2013, 09:41 PM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Blacklist. Feels like a Homeland lite, and apart from Spader, nothing much interesting or new in opener.
So a successful network procedural.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 09:59 PM   #25
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The Blacklist. Feels like a Homeland lite, and apart from Spader, nothing much interesting or new in opener.
So a successful network procedural.
It will run for a year at NBC. Get canceled, but then picked up by CBS where it will run for 8 more seasons and have 2, 3, 4 spinoffs.
Old September 26 2013, 11:31 PM   #26
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I actually liked Brooklyn Nine-Nine. And I didn't want to. I don't like anything that comes from SNL (the star of BNN. As far as I know the series is from some people from THE OFFICE, which I also didn't like).

S.H.I.E.L.D. is good and isn't going anywhere.

But I do think Chuck Lorre has his first bomb in MOM. But I also think he just helped develop it and the other two co-creators are the ones who came up with the show).
Old September 27 2013, 04:06 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

S.H.I.E.L.D. is bad and it's not going anywhere.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:38 AM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The creators of Under the Dome have come out and said they never planned on the 13th episode being the last, that they have ideas for 2-3-4 seasons.

That's hilarious if true. Good luck with that, I guess, but I predict it will be cancelled early 2nd season. It could hardly sustain one season, and it will hardly have any steam for a second. Any interested viewers for the first season would have disappeared by the second.

--

I like Micheal J. Fox, I really do, but I was quite lukewarm on his new show, having watched the first two episodes. Shame since I had been looking forward to it so much, but I cringed at the writing in several places. It feels rather scattered and a bit confusing at times and the casting doesn't help much. Like his wife for instance, being the mother of their oldest looking like they could actually be dating as they look about the same age level. Other than that, I find it remarkable that he's back on TV, and he's an inspiration.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:52 AM   #29
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I wanted to hate Robin Williams' show but I actually laughed out loud several times.

I read an article where he said that he took the show because he needs the money.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 06:33 AM   #30
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I like Micheal J. Fox, I really do, but I was quite lukewarm on his new show, having watched the first two episodes. Shame since I had been looking forward to it so much, but I cringed at the writing in several places. It feels rather scattered and a bit confusing at times and the casting doesn't help much. Like his wife for instance, being the mother of their oldest looking like they could actually be dating as they look about the same age level.
That's Betsy Brandt, from Breaking Bad. She doesn't look unreasonably young for Michael J Fox to me.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote