Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 25 2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Aldo wrote: View Post
Too bad NBC didn't get it, they could have called in 'Law and Order: Gotham City'
The opening credits:

And I don't know where this piece of fan art originated, but the Goddamn Batman and Lenny Briscoe is funny.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

^Shouldn't that intro have closed with "Created by Bob Kane?" Even if Dick Wolf had created it, Kane would've still stolen the credit.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 11:57 PM   #18
Aldo
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Too bad NBC didn't get it, they could have called in 'Law and Order: Gotham City'
"In Gotham City's criminal justice system, the people are represented by three separate yet equally important groups: Batman, who investigates crime; the police, who shine the Batsignal; and the district attorneys, who ineffectually prosecute the offenders and occasionally develop homicidal split personalities. Come to think of it, only Batman is really important."
I toyed with the idea of writing one of those intros in my original post, but I'm not that creative

As per the idea, I think it's a sound one, and can be really interesting. But I'm not really sure what they can do outside of having this be another procedural that just happens to be set in Gotham City.
Old September 26 2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

The mashup I want to see is CSI and the Adam West Batman. If you look at the '66 show, Batman and Robin essentially functioned as the GCPD's crime lab. Commissioner Gordon would give them evidence and they'd analyze it with the scientific equipment in the Batcave. Or they'd be called to the scene to investigate something odd, like a giant umbrella or cookbook in the middle of the street, and would do science to it to determine if it was dangerous.

But I'm not really sure what they can do outside of having this be another procedural that just happens to be set in Gotham City.
Maybe that's what they want. Networks love formulas, because they work. They're reliable ways to draw in large audiences. The goal is to find new twists and hooks and gimmicks to differentiate the shows without diverging too far from the formula. This procedural's about forensic scientists, this one's about a snarky medical examiner, that one's about a phony psychic, that one's about a face-reading expert, that one's about Sherlock Holmes, etc. And since there's always a market for more procedurals, they need new premises and characters to build them around.

Old September 26 2013, 12:42 AM   #20
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Could this be one of the first procedurals where the bad guys win most of the time? Due to rampant corruption and a society that doesnt care and is afraid the crooks walk free at the end of every show.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 01:04 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

This could be interesting. Although I think it would have been a lot more interesting if they had just done a Gotham Central adaptation. That way they could have already had all of the villains active, and would be able to drop the occasional reference to Batman.
My only issue with this that if they want to have the familiar villains then they will have the cops dealing with them before Batman was around. I was under the impression that Batman's excitance was part of what drew all of the super villains out. And like someone else said up thread, doesn't it make Batman a little unnecissary if the cops had already been dealing with the villains for years.
Now if this was in an alternate version of Gotham where Batman never exists, but all of his villains still do, that could be interesting.
Having said that, I admit I'm still
Old September 26 2013, 02:09 AM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

^Shouldn't that intro have closed with "Created by Bob Kane?" Even if Dick Wolf had created it, Kane would've still stolen the credit.
If I were the one who made it, that credit would have read "Created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger & Dick Wolf."

I do know, though, that DC and Warners will never acknowledge Bill Finger as Batman's co-creator. That's really unfortunate.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 03:01 AM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

"In Gotham City's criminal justice system, the people are represented by three separate yet equally important groups: Batman, who investigates crime; the police, who shine the Batsignal; and the district attorneys, who ineffectually prosecute the offenders and occasionally develop homicidal split personalities. Come to think of it, only Batman is really important."

And this show won't have Batman as a main player.

This isn't a sci-fi / fantasy show, it's a cop show. All Fox has now is cop shows, Bones, Sleepy Hollow, The Following, Almost Human and comedies no one watches..
Old September 26 2013, 03:38 AM   #24
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I hope it's not a procedural. (slim chance). I'd rather see a drama focused around Gordon as he comes to realize the depths of corruption in Gotham and the steps he takes ( along with the compromises) as he tries to fight it.
Old September 26 2013, 03:55 AM   #25
Aldo
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

And this show won't have Batman as a main player.
We know Batman won't be in the show, we're just having a bit of fun.
Old September 26 2013, 04:05 AM   #26
Christopher
Writer

^I think he was responding to my "only Batman is really important" and suggesting that, as a result, a show without Batman would be pointless. But of course I was just riffing on the extant version of the concept. It's conceivable that a Jim Gordon solo series could work, if handled well. He's a rich enough character that he could potentially anchor a show.

Here's a thought: what if the pilot established that this was an alternate reality where Bruce was killed along with his parents, or else where the Waynes were never killed at all and Bruce just grew up to be a rich, shallow dilettante? But Gotham still descended into the mess it became, and so Gordon has to try to clean it up himself. Maybe with Harvey Dent as his ally, since he doesn't become Two-Face in this reality, but still has a darker side he keeps hidden. With no Batman, there's no Joker per se, but the gangster he was before the accident (known only as the Red Hood?) is still a dangerous psychopath. And so on. You could have a lot of the same bad guys, but not going the costume route because there's no Batman to counter. Thus you can "cape-proof" the concept and make it more accessible to the general audience, but also provide a simple explanation that would make sense of the premise for the comics audience: it's an Elseworlds story about a world without Batman.

Old September 26 2013, 05:13 AM   #27
Dream
Admiral

WB already tried doing a Gotham series without Batman. Birds of Prey didn't last long...
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 05:20 AM   #28
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I hope it's not a procedural. (slim chance). I'd rather see a drama focused around Gordon as he comes to realize the depths of corruption in Gotham and the steps he takes ( along with the compromises) as he tries to fight it.
That could definitely be interesting. I don't watch any network shows at this point and I can't see myself watching this if it's a formula show but there is a chance for this to be quality even if I don't think it'll go there.
Old September 26 2013, 05:22 AM   #29
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
WB already tried doing a Gotham series without Batman. Birds of Prey didn't last long...
This is exactly my point.

I like the Law and Order joke. It's also how you have do a cop show, you have cops, sometimes lawyers and then the bad guys.

This show takes place in Gotham, yet Batman won't be there? Might as well be every other cop show ever made.
Old September 26 2013, 05:29 AM   #30
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I would absolutely watch if they made the villain of the show King Tut.