Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 25 2013, 10:58 PM   #136
Christopher
Writer

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
If anything, the "Extremis - it's new" was more out of place.
Which is what I've been trying to say all along -- that it felt awkward and could've been incorporated better.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 11:04 PM   #137
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Honestly, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, and I understood the Extremis thing fine.

(Granted, I have vague memories of reading about "Extremis" in Iron Man comics years ago, but I understood what was happening and picked up on the fact that it was a bit of an Easter egg.)
Old September 25 2013, 11:06 PM   #138
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, I think he could have just said "Extremis!" and that's it. No one else requires explanation and they all move on. I think it was supposed to be funny, so I don't intend to overanalyze it, but I don't think it's helpful exposition by itself.
Old September 25 2013, 11:32 PM   #139
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

While reactions from within the comics industry seem largely favorable, Jim Steranko was not impressed.
Old September 25 2013, 11:41 PM   #140
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

There's so much about the premise of this SHIELD show that plays like jumping into the middle of a narrative in progress. Why make an issue out of one little detail that isn't adequately explained? The whole thing requires the uninitiated viewer, who presumably is the target audience, to just roll with almost everything.
Old September 25 2013, 11:42 PM   #141
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Honestly, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, and I understood the Extremis thing fine.
Same here.

I liked it. It felt like they were setting up plenty of different things and I look forward to seeing it all play out.

This may sound odd, but I was certain that Coulson would be killed in this episode (or only be in flashbacks or some other thing that would have stopped him from being in the rest of the series). I really thought the huge promotion involving the character and actor was a huge Whedon-esque misdirection but I'm glad I was wrong.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 12:07 AM   #142
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Okay, I've seen it, and I liked it. I'm going to keep watching.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 12:18 AM   #143
Christopher
Writer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
There's so much about the premise of this SHIELD show that plays like jumping into the middle of a narrative in progress. Why make an issue out of one little detail that isn't adequately explained?
I'm not the one making an issue of it! It was one point I made in a significantly longer review, but for some reason, some other posters here have been dwelling on it relentlessly all day to the exclusion of my other points. I've just been responding to that, clarifying what I meant in the first place.

And yes, dammit, for the record, I do think a lot about this show felt too much like jumping into a narrative in progress, and I'm pretty sure I've already said so. It's just that nobody else seems to notice anything I'm saying except the passing Extremis mention.

Old September 26 2013, 12:23 AM   #144
davejames
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
While reactions from within the comics industry seem largely favorable, Jim Steranko was not impressed.
I totally agree with his take. The show really needed to be tougher and edgier, with a greater sense of danger.

Right now the tone is so cutesy and fun that it's hard to take anything all that seriously. It just feels like too much of a lark.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 12:36 AM   #145
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Yeah, should a hacker chick who lives in a van ...
I can't not mentally add "down by the river" when I hear that.

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Certainly splashier than Alphas, but not sure it's better...
Did have a bit of an Alphas vibe to it.

Please, what does that guy know about SHIELD?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 12:55 AM   #146
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't get it.

Old September 26 2013, 12:59 AM   #147
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Felt more like Torchwood

(this is in response to someone above who said it had a vibe to it like Alphas)
Old September 26 2013, 01:10 AM   #148
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but does anyone want to hazard a guess as to Skye's real identity? It was pretty clearly implied that she erased her former identity and started a new life.

I know it's kind of out there, but could she be Janet Van Dyne? I ask this having no idea what her character has been up to in the comics world for the last 15 years or so, so try not to rake me over the coals to much for this one.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 01:11 AM   #149
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I liked it fine, I'll keep watching. It was no more or less than I expected it to be. I don't think we're going to see major costumed heroes on this show, they'll save those for the movies.

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Let's add in the cost to make it look realistic, like all the extras they would need to have running around to staff the helicarrier. Using it would be too expensive.
Not to mention needing to use the movie sets, and explain why we never see Nick Fury.

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I have to admit, I enjoyed it quite a bit - was at least on par with the One Shots we've had on the DVDs and had the added benefit of being more than a 'one and done' story.
You must mean Blu-Ray...I own all the DVDs and haven't seen a single One Shot.

Personally I loved the flying 'Vette - anyone who thinks its cheesy or 'lame' has NEVER read a classic SHIELD/Nick Fury comic where the 'Standard Issue' SHIELD flying car was as iconic a part of the SHIELD 'look' as the Helicarrier, the Needle Gun and Nick Fury's eyepatch. That made the show for me. It took it from being yet another CIA or Alias type show and brought it firmly into the Marvel Universe.
Hear, hear! And as another poster brought up, it's established way back in the 1940s in Captain America. It's not so hard to believe that Howard Stark got it to work practically by the 1960s.

Makes you wonder what sort of work was keeping SHIELD busy in that era of the MCU....

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't get it.
That would be a reference to Chris Farley's classic motivational speaker character on early-90s SNL. His main motivational hook was to tell kids that they might wind up like him, living in a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Watch it now, before NBC has it taken down.

Last edited by The Old Mixer; September 26 2013 at 01:23 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 01:31 AM   #150
JD
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I totally agree with his take. The show really needed to be tougher and edgier, with a greater sense of danger.

Right now the tone is so cutesy and fun that it's hard to take anything all that seriously. It just feels like too much of a lark.
I'm actually glad it wasn't tougher or edgier, I liked the fact that it was a light, fun show. I like dark and edgie stuff, but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and relax with a show that is just a fun, light hearted, good time.

As for my overall reaction, it wasn't anything mind blowing, but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more episodes. I thought they did a pretty good job of introducing everybody and giving us an interesting plot at the same time.
I was not expecting so many blatant references to the movies. I figured there might be a few references to Cap or Iron Man, but I wasn't expecting any of the stuff from movies to play such a big role in the story.