New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old September 14 2013, 11:19 PM   #31
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Harvey wrote: View Post
All information I am aware of, and nothing that contradicts my point.
The years that you're talking about '05-'10 wasn't a period of steadly declining ratings, the huge drop in the ratings came when Sci-Fi moved Universe from Friday night to Tuesday night, otherwise the ratings were fairly constant though those years.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old September 15 2013, 12:00 AM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

SG-1 had a recognizable ratings drop in season 10; Atlantis experienced declining viewership beginning at the same time (season 3). Universe had a big premiere and then shed viewers just about every week -- before it was moved in season two.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 15 2013, 02:47 AM   #33
The Wormhole
Admiral

SG-1 had a recognizable ratings drop in season 10; Atlantis experienced declining viewership beginning at the same time (season 3).
That would have been in 2006, in which all three of Sci-Fi's flagship shows (SG-1, SGA, BSG) saw a decline in ratings. Which likely had something to do with Sci-Fi messing around with its successful Friday night line up.
Old September 16 2013, 03:20 AM   #34
Snick27
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
SG-1 had a recognizable ratings drop in season 10; Atlantis experienced declining viewership beginning at the same time (season 3).
That would have been in 2006, in which all three of Sci-Fi's flagship shows (SG-1, SGA, BSG) saw a decline in ratings. Which likely had something to do with Sci-Fi messing around with its successful Friday night line up.

Don't forget around this time Comcast moved Syfy Channel to a higher tier so lots of people didn't get the station anymore.
Old September 25 2013, 10:11 PM   #35
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

this is my opinion about the rumored Stargate reboot this is how I feel sorry if it offends

Stargate is not Star Trek nor is it Star Wars itís not known in the mainstream pop culture for many decades like ST & SW are so there is not this big built in audience like those 2 have and if they would reboot it like ST it would alienate the very small built in audience it has.

The original Stargate movie did not build the fan-base or franchise the seriesís did and I am sorry Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are not Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas they did not have the vision Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner did they saw more than Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich ever could have dreamed of when they thought the Stargate went all over the galaxay and universe DD & RE could only see it as going between 2 planets they were short sighted sorry this really aggravates me I donít think if either one of those guys gets their way it would bring back the SG franchise like some people seem to think it could

I think it would be a major flop and kill the SG franchise for good because MGM wouldnít spend anymore money for it and SG is my favorite scifi space oprea franchise I enjoy both ST & SW I love them both equally (I really donít understand why there is animosity between those fandoms I have met a few people in RL who are itís one or the other it really baffles me why that people argue which is better itís scifi space opera entertainment thatís good enough to me) but I miss SG I really donít want it to be killed off for good.
Old September 25 2013, 10:33 PM   #36
Harvey
Admiral

poundpuppy29 wrote: View Post
I think it would be a major flop and kill the SG franchise for good
As a franchise, Stargate is dead. All three television series were cancelled; the last series, Stargate Universe, had ratings so low it ended after just two seasons (on a cliffhanger, no less). The straight-to-DVD market dried up just as the franchise began to enter it, resulting in all further proposed DVD movies being cancelled.

Personally, I think Stargate slowly fell to pieces after the end of SG-1 season 8/SG-A season 1, but even if you like what happened after that point, you have to realize that the franchise probably won't be continued in that iteration going forward.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 25 2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

As a franchise, Stargate is dead.
That's not entirely true, since it still has an ongoing novel line from Fandemonium Books. Actually it's been six months since the last new one came out, but apparently there are several more unscheduled ones being planned and the publisher's website still says it's accepting queries.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old September 26 2013, 11:30 AM   #38
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

poundpuppy29 wrote: View Post
this is my opinion about the rumored Stargate reboot this is how I feel sorry if it offends

Stargate is not Star Trek nor is it Star Wars it’s not known in the mainstream pop culture for many decades like ST & SW are so there is not this big built in audience like those 2 have and if they would reboot it like ST it would alienate the very small built in audience it has.

The original Stargate movie did not build the fan-base or franchise the series’s did and I am sorry Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are not Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas they did not have the vision Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner did they saw more than Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich ever could have dreamed of when they thought the Stargate went all over the galaxay and universe DD & RE could only see it as going between 2 planets they were short sighted sorry this really aggravates me I don’t think if either one of those guys gets their way it would bring back the SG franchise like some people seem to think it could

I think it would be a major flop and kill the SG franchise for good because MGM wouldn’t spend anymore money for it and SG is my favorite scifi space oprea franchise I enjoy both ST & SW I love them both equally (I really don’t understand why there is animosity between those fandoms I have met a few people in RL who are it’s one or the other it really baffles me why that people argue which is better it’s scifi space opera entertainment that’s good enough to me) but I miss SG I really don’t want it to be killed off for good.
Woah woah, relax. Have a couple of interpunctions: .....,,,,,;;;;;!!!!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
As a franchise, Stargate is dead.
That's not entirely true, since it still has an ongoing novel line from Fandemonium Books. Actually it's been six months since the last new one came out, but apparently there are several more unscheduled ones being planned and the publisher's website still says it's accepting queries.
I'd still agree with the sentiment that it's dead. You know how tiny the audience for tie in novels is.
Old September 26 2013, 01:06 PM   #39
AJ86
Captain

There's also the game. The franchise isn't dead but it's on life-support at the moment.
Old September 26 2013, 02:15 PM   #40
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Also Big Finish has released Stargate Audios, the latest one was released in December 2012

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old September 26 2013, 10:57 PM   #41
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

AJ86 wrote: View Post
There's also the game. The franchise isn't dead but it's on life-support at the moment.
Animaniacs had a video game 10 years after the show ended. I don't think that means it's coming back.
Old September 27 2013, 02:14 AM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^Whether it's coming back is not the issue. The definition of "franchise" is the issue. A franchise is the whole shebang, all the various multimedia facets of a property. The show is just one part of the franchise, so the show being gone and the franchise being gone are two distinct matters. If the book line ends and the game goes under, and nothing new comes along, then we can say the franchise is dead. But that hasn't happened yet.

Old September 30 2013, 07:08 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Late to the party...

I'd love to have some more big-screen Stargate movies (I loved the one that we got), the various TV series never did anything for me.
Old October 6 2013, 06:01 PM   #44
Danny99
Vice Admiral

If there is going to be a movie and a reboot, we have to go somewhere between Kurt Russell (and Emmerich's) dead pan wooden O'Neil and RDA's later season irreverent O'Neill to find a balance.

I really think SGU was going to be that balance, but it started slow and the fans who loved SG1 and SGA killed it because it tried to be more serious in tone.
Old October 6 2013, 06:25 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Danny99 wrote: View Post
If there is going to be a movie and a reboot, we have to go somewhere between Kurt Russell (and Emmerich's) dead pan wooden O'Neil and RDA's later season irreverent O'Neill to find a balance.
Like, say RDA's early O'Neill. That worked pretty well.