Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favorite/Best Regeneration Story
The Tenth Planet 1 2.50%
War Games 5 12.50%
Planet of the Spiders 1 2.50%
Logopolis 3 7.50%
Caves of Androzani 19 47.50%
The Enemy Within (The TV Movie) 0 0%
Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways 8 20.00%
The End of Time 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25 2013, 08:46 AM   #31
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Best Regeneration Story

This should so be an option to splice in on all future releases of The War Games..

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 08:52 AM   #32
Starkers
Admiral

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
The War Games, but only if done this way.

you'd have thought he'd have been impressed by eleven's bow tie (or wasn't he wearing one in the picture?)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 10:01 AM   #33
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

That's brilliant!
Old September 25 2013, 05:39 PM   #34
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I love The War Games but that's awesome.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 05:50 PM   #35
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't seen caves of Tenth Planet yet. Shame, they seem to be the most popular ones. :P
Well, the 10th Planet dvd is out three weeks on Monday... and Androzani? Never been out of the top three in any poll since it first went out !
Yeah, I intend to get Tenth Planet for Christmas. Besides, brand new DVDs are always expensive. I don't like to pay over a tenner for DVDs.

Also, I looked up Androzani on amazon. The only Region 2 DVD I could find was the earlier one with barley any special features and it was bloody £21. For a DVD, especially one with barley any special features, that was outrageous. Especially seeing other box sets were that much.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 06:09 PM   #36
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, you don't want barley on your DVD, it messes up the picture. Go for the ones with oats!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 06:17 PM   #37
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, I haven't seen caves of Tenth Planet yet. Shame, they seem to be the most popular ones. :P
Well, the 10th Planet dvd is out three weeks on Monday... and Androzani? Never been out of the top three in any poll since it first went out !
Yeah, I intend to get Tenth Planet for Christmas. Besides, brand new DVDs are always expensive. I don't like to pay over a tenner for DVDs.

Also, I looked up Androzani on amazon. The only Region 2 DVD I could find was the earlier one with barley any special features and it was bloody £21. For a DVD, especially one with barley any special features, that was outrageous. Especially seeing other box sets were that much.
You should've gotten the Revisitations box set. Includes it, Talons of Weing Shiang and The TV Movie, with many new features.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 10:39 PM   #38
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post

You should've gotten the Revisitations box set. Includes it, Talons of Weing Shiang and The TV Movie, with many new features.
The problem with that is I have the other two DVDs.
Old September 27 2013, 09:50 AM   #39
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Eh, suit yourself. Thing is, the Revisitation serials are generally better than the previous releases, both in picture quality and extras-wise.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 06:16 PM   #40
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Eh, suit yourself. Thing is, the Revisitation serials are generally better than the previous releases, both in picture quality and extras-wise.
Yeah, it's a shame I got the other two DVDs earlier on. I have the 96 film which has next to no special features. A shame, would have been fascinating viewing. It always seems that the Doctor Who's I want to have extra special features never have any. :P
Old September 29 2013, 09:57 PM   #41
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'd been meaning to do one like that myself for a while. I guess now I don't have to. (Except in mine, for the "too old," I would have included a picture of present-day Tom Baker. Though Capaldi certainly works. And it's a very good "too thin" picture of Tennant.)
Old September 29 2013, 10:22 PM   #42
publiusr
Commodore

Troughton and Pertwee almost favored one another, due to the camera angle, so the regeneration--while low tech, looked the most seamless to me.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 12:06 AM   #43
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Of all the regeneration stories, I'd have to pick "Bad Wolf"/"The Parting of the Ways" as my favorite. It's been quite a few years since I've seen it but I still remember how excited I was when I first saw it. The game show stuff was funny. The Daleks were badass. The Doctor was even more badass. And they really had me going for a while when I thought they killed Rose. (And I liked Lynda. Shame she didn't survive.)

"The Caves of Androzani" was also a strong pick for me. With or without the regeneration, it's simply Robert Holmes firing on all cylinders. Sharaz Jek begins the tradition of bad guys shamelessly lusting after Peri.

"The War Games" would fill out my top 3. It's kinda long but mostly makes good use of its extended screen time. I love all the machinations between the War Chief, the War Lord, & the Security Chief. Lt. Carstairs & Lady Jennifer are great one-off companions. The initial mystery is quite good when you first think that you're just in the middle of a WWI historical story before you realize that something very different is going on. And the Doctor's farewell to Jamie & Zoe is heartbreaking. I like how Jamie thinks that they'll all just get away at the last minute like the always do, and how he seems a bit taken aback when the Doctor just shakes his head & firmly says, "Goodbye, Jamie." You really do feel that this is the end and that no one wants it to end this way. (I keep hoping that Jamie & Zoe come back on the new series at some point, if only to soften the blow.)

I've only seen "Planet of the Spiders" once but I thought it was fun. I especially like the 1 or 2 episodes where it's just the Doctor getting into a series of assorted vehicle chases. It's like Jon Pertwee has this laundry list of vehicles he wanted to have chase scenes with during his tenure and realized that it was now or never.

The regeneration itself in "Logopolis" is quite good but the rest of the story feels off. Tom Baker just seems to have already mentally checked out of the show. He never really had much chemistry with Tegan, Nyssa, or Adric for that matter. Plus, with Anthony Ainley as the Master and a general lack of humor to the whole thing, it feels more like a prelude to the Peter Davison years rather than a fitting finale for the Tom Baker years.

The 1996 movie is mostly terrible, although some of the stuff surrounding the regeneration is OK. The references to Frankenstein & The Time Machine feel a bit too on the nose. But considering it's trying to be obvious & over the top, it's quite successful in that respect.

I've never seen "The Tenth Planet." I'm waiting for the DVD.

I hated "The End of Time." I liked a lot of what they did with the Master but sometimes it seems like it's just a contest between Simm & Tennant to see who can go more over the top. And then Tennant's victory lap at the end takes too long, particularly since we'd already just revisted most of those companions 5 episodes earlier in "Journey's End." My favorite part of the entire episode is the last minute & a half when Matt Smith finally shows up.
Old October 3 2013, 08:18 AM   #44
AllStarEntprise
Captain

I voted for Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways. However The Caves of Androzani is second in my heart.

There is so much atmosphere in Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways.

The last adventure of 9, Jack and Rose, Jack

The 9th Doctor being his cavalier self. Doing all he can to defeat the Daleks, not knowing this was his final battle.

Jack being heroic in fighting the Daleks. The Jack of Doctor Who i prefer. Compared to the one we later see in Torchwood.

Rose becoming the Bad Wolf and coming to the Doctor's rescue. This of course with the assistance of Mickey and Jackie.

Lynda with a Y. The companion that never was. Oh how my heart ached the first time seeing her die T_T. It still bleeds when I rewatch the episode.

Many other things I enjoy about this two parter. I really wish there was more 9th Doctor material tbh. Really sad Chris Eccleston decided not to reprise his role for the 50th anniversary episode.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:01 PM   #45
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Oh Lynda with a Y. How she would have made a cute companion. But I suppose that's great story telling.

Yeah, I was just thinking today what if the ninth doctor stayed on till series 2 or even 3. He may have turned out being my favourite doctor.