Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 14 2013, 06:17 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Episode of the Week: 3x11 "The Hunted"

Makarov wrote: View Post
And that means it's not the happy go lucky ending that it seems to be. Picard's not suppposed to go around making enemies for the federation. They got involved just enough to disrupt their entire government but beam away at the most critical moment.
Picard was there to evaluate whether the Angosians were ready for Federation membership or not. He wasn't there to fix internal problems that they themselves created.

Maybe if the Angosian government had been honest about the situation and tried not to be utter assholes, Picard may have then been more inclined to help.
Old September 16 2013, 03:54 PM   #32
Jeyl
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Maybe if the Angosian government had been honest about the situation and tried not to be utter assholes, Picard may have then been more inclined to help.
Problem is that Picard himself acts like a complete a-hole to the Angosian government. Would it not have been better, and perhaps more in tune with the message of the episode if Picard tried and convince the Prime Minister that he understands the situation they face by referring to Earth's history? He could have said that Earth itself faced similar circumstances when the War that their soldiers fought in was over. It would have been so much better if Picard actually tried to get the Prime Minister to come to an understanding, instead choosing to lecture and berate him in a way that doesn't resolve anything.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 08:48 AM   #33
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote:
Are you kidding? His government altered him, used him and then threw him away without even trying to rehabilitate him. "These men had families". When you back an animal into a corner it is likely to attack you to try to escape.
"These men had families"

A line never spoken once in the actual episode. Not saying that they didn't have families, but I'm not going to cut this episode any slack for details it did not bother to cover. Maybe if Roga said he had a family that he left so he could volunteer to fight in a war he believed was the right thing to do, well, maybe Roga's motivation for escaping would make more sense than just acting like a generic criminal who just wanted to escape prison.
My bad. I actually wrote this without having seen it recently. The line I was thinking of was Picard's "They're your brother's, your son's". My general opinion still stands though - I don't think the writers need to dot every "i" and cross every "t" when it comes to background information, the audience are clever enough to fill these gaps.

I've only just purchased the blu-ray's, hence my mistake. I look forward to rejoining the rewatch.

Speaking of the blu-ray transfer - I loved the Angosian city. Was it always animated like that (little shuttle pods in the tubes)?
Old September 17 2013, 01:50 PM   #34
Jeyl
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
My general opinion still stands though - I don't think the writers need to dot every "i" and cross every "t" when it comes to background information, the audience are clever enough to fill these gaps.
I'm not saying we should know everything about a character, just that there has to be "something" to the character that fits with the their motivation that drives the story. Roga desperately wants to rejoin society. Ok, I get that. Now my next question is why? What's so special about rejoining a culture that willingly altered you for war and readily abandoned you when it was over? Did you have a job you enjoyed doing? Do you have a family? Did you have plans for yourself that you thought you could still pursue after you fought in the war? All we ever get is "We want our lives back. We want to come home." Yeah, well so do a lot of criminals who are still doing time in prison, and I bet there are a lot out there who have better reasons to rejoin society than Roga does.
Old September 17 2013, 06:18 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

My general opinion still stands though - I don't think the writers need to dot every "i" and cross every "t" when it comes to background information, the audience are clever enough to fill these gaps.
I'm not saying we should know everything about a character, just that there has to be "something" to the character that fits with the their motivation that drives the story. Roga desperately wants to rejoin society. Ok, I get that. Now my next question is why? What's so special about rejoining a culture that willingly altered you for war and readily abandoned you when it was over? Did you have a job you enjoyed doing? Do you have a family? Did you have plans for yourself that you thought you could still pursue after you fought in the war? All we ever get is "We want our lives back. We want to come home." Yeah, well so do a lot of criminals who are still doing time in prison, and I bet there are a lot out there who have better reasons to rejoin society than Roga does.
Why does he need a reason other than he wants to rejoin society/go home? He committed no crime other than fighting a war for his people and being altered for that purpose.
Old September 21 2013, 09:13 PM   #36
Jeyl
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why does he need a reason other than he wants to rejoin society/go home? He committed no crime other than fighting a war for his people and being altered for that purpose.
There is nothing wrong with just wanting to rejoin society, it's just that the episode just doesn't do Roga's motivation any justice. As I've tried to convey in my earlier posts, there is nothing about Roga's character that has a genuine "want" to rejoin society outside of the fact that he just wants it. The confrontation at the Prime Minister makes Roga come off more like a desperate drug addict who wants to get his fix rather than someone who wants to come home.
Old September 21 2013, 09:31 PM   #37
MikeS
Fleet Captain

there is nothing about Roga's character that has a genuine "want" to rejoin society outside of the fact that he just wants it.
Is that not a good enough reason? There is also nothing in the episode to say why his character wouldn't want to rejoin society. Why would an ex-soldier not wish to rejoin society?
Old September 22 2013, 12:04 AM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

there is nothing about Roga's character that has a genuine "want" to rejoin society outside of the fact that he just wants it.
Is that not a good enough reason? There is also nothing in the episode to say why his character wouldn't want to rejoin society. Why would an ex-soldier not wish to rejoin society?
Color me confused.
Old September 22 2013, 12:47 AM   #39
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I think Jeyl is just saying that it's difficult to relate to the character and to feel his struggle rather than just describe it. If that's what he's saying, I agree.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 03:16 PM   #40
Jeyl
Commodore

Captrek wrote: View Post
I think Jeyl is just saying that it's difficult to relate to the character and to feel his struggle rather than just describe it. If that's what he's saying, I agree.
It is, and thank you for helping me convey that.
Old September 25 2013, 12:59 PM   #41
Use of Time
Commodore

Bingo. I really don't think this episode generated the emotions it set out too. It was a very sluggish plot with a story that was told in the most vanilla way possible.

I'd love to see Starfleet's reaction to Picard's report when it says something like, "no they are not ready...and...uh...there may or may not be a gaping power vacuum that could plunge the whole planet into a bitter and devastating civil war." You had one job Jean-Luc!