To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 25 2013, 06:56 AM   #76
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

It was enjoyable, but I was a little distracted by how "hot" all the actresses were. It's one of the more annoyances I've been having lately, but with this show I'll learn to get past it. It will take a few more weeks, but it was fun and agreed with the upbeat point someone made upthread.
Old September 25 2013, 07:15 AM   #77
TimmyWl
Commodore

I thought it was great. I did like the snarky remarks. The remarks worked well during the commercial breaks. Each section in the pilot seemed to be a small little story unto itself and it worked.

Tomalak301:

It was enjoyable, but I was a little distracted by how "hot" all the actresses were
Maybe that was on purpose in order to have it appeal to a general audience. The cheeriness was opposed by Agent May's weariness to the whole thing.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 07:17 AM   #78
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hmm, I'm a huge Whedon fan, but I'm not really sure WHAT to make of what I just watched. The episode was so damn fast and chaotic, and so much was thrown at us at once, that I just never had time to really appreciate anything. It was just like a blur of action, wisecracks, and technobabble. Lol

Hopefully future episodes will slow down a bit and let us actually get to know these characters. Because right now they remind me more of the bland agents and techno geeks from an NCIS or Bones than from a Whedon show.

I'm also really hoping we don't get just a succession of genetically enhanced, Extremis-style mutants-of-the-week on this show. Because I was frankly already getting bored with that idea in this episode. Especially after years of the same types of villains on Fringe, Heroes, X-Files, Smallville and a dozen other shows.

I realize they can't afford a Hulk or Iron Man on this show, but if you're going to have a bunch of superpowered threats, at least put them in some cool costumes or something. To at least make it feel a little bit special and unique.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 07:27 AM   #79
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

This show was just awful. Painfully low budget (piss-poor explosions and... a jet instead of the hellicarrier?) and, much worse, totally predictable writing. Only Fitz/Simmons added any life at all; the rest was so pathetically by-the-numbers. It was a crashing bore.
Oh, and $20 says "clone."
Old September 25 2013, 08:00 AM   #80
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

TimmyWl wrote: View Post
I thought it was great. I did like the snarky remarks. The remarks worked well during the commercial breaks. Each section in the pilot seemed to be a small little story unto itself and it worked.

Tomalak301:

It was enjoyable, but I was a little distracted by how "hot" all the actresses were
Maybe that was on purpose in order to have it appeal to a general audience. The cheeriness was opposed by Agent May's weariness to the whole thing.
Well yeah, you got to have Sex appeal. Still, it can get distracting if the actress in question can't act. The jury is still out on that one, even though I did like the Skye character as the episode went on.
Old September 25 2013, 10:25 AM   #81
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
It was enjoyable, but I was a little distracted by how "hot" all the actresses were.
Yeah, should a hacker chick who lives in a van really look like a model who just spent two hours having her hair & make-up done?

Whedon's other shows have done a better job in the past of having "nerdy" characters who actually looked nerdy (or at least "tv-nerdy"). I mean, I'm not suggesting that all characters must fit these visual stereotypes, but when a character says she lives in her van, I wouldn't expect her to look like she's getting ready for a high-fashion photo shoot. That said, I did like the "Skye" actress and her character for the most part and I hope they can make the Fitz/Simmons characters more interesting in the future.
Old September 25 2013, 11:10 AM   #82
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Helicarrier would've been expensive to animate on a week-in-week-out basis - at least for now...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 11:13 AM   #83
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But some of the nods were not very well-handled. Like when Coulson saw the reconstruction of the guy blowing up, he just said "Extremis, it's new" and that was the only explanation we got. The script just assumed that we'd seen Iron Man 3 and thus didn't bother to provide exposition on its own. That's sloppy writing; a story should always be understandable on its own even if it does draw on ideas from other stories.
I was genuinely happy they did it that way as opposed to expositioning on something that 98% of their audience probably knew about already. Erskine's formula and gamma radiation were also mentioned - why do they get a pass?
Old September 25 2013, 11:56 AM   #84
Scout101
Admiral

and obviously the entire plot of the Avengers...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:38 PM   #85
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
This show was just awful. Painfully low budget (piss-poor explosions and... a jet instead of the hellicarrier?)
Unless they're buying a helicarrier, I don't think the budget has much to do with it.

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Helicarrier would've been expensive to animate on a week-in-week-out basis - at least for now...
You just have to animate it once. Every time they show it again, they just need to reuse the stock footage for an establishing shot anyway.

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
But some of the nods were not very well-handled. Like when Coulson saw the reconstruction of the guy blowing up, he just said "Extremis, it's new" and that was the only explanation we got. The script just assumed that we'd seen Iron Man 3 and thus didn't bother to provide exposition on its own. That's sloppy writing; a story should always be understandable on its own even if it does draw on ideas from other stories.
I was genuinely happy they did it that way as opposed to expositioning on something that 98% of their audience probably knew about already. Erskine's formula and gamma radiation were also mentioned - why do they get a pass?
Plus, I think they explained all that was really needed to explain - Extremis turns people in bombs.
Old September 25 2013, 12:41 PM   #86
flavaflav
Commander

it had its moments. don't really like the cast, especially the hacker. meh
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:44 PM   #87
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
This show was just awful. Painfully low budget (piss-poor explosions and... a jet instead of the hellicarrier?)
Unless they're buying a helicarrier, I don't think the budget has much to do with it.

DEWLine wrote: View Post
You just have to animate it once. Every time they show it again, they just need to reuse the stock footage for an establishing shot anyway.
Let's add in the cost to make it look realistic, like all the extras they would need to have running around to staff the helicarrier. Using it would be too expensive.

Coulson's team looks to be an investigative unit/response team. They need to be mobile and move quickly. I doubt the helicarrier allows for either.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:49 PM   #88
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Why on Earth would Coulson's little team need an entire helicarrier anyway?
Old September 25 2013, 12:55 PM   #89
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I don't think it does. I'm just saying that it's possible to have a helicarrier without it being dramatically more expensive. Most shots are interior shots anyway.
Old September 25 2013, 01:14 PM   #90
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Middle of the road for me on this one. My biggest grumble would be the lack of reveal of the bad guys. Its the first show give us something big to look forward to instead of the slow, dribble it out reveal it looks like we will be getting.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote