MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 25 2013, 06:01 AM   #76
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Timeline branching going forward *spoilers*

I'd say that it's unclear whether the events of FC are:

A) a predestination paradox
B) events that all occur within the same timeline
C) events that occur across multiple timelines
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 09:04 AM   #77
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post

Actually it's spelled out explicitly in canon. From "Relativity" ...

DUCANE: The Pogo Paradox.

SEVEN: A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.

DUCANE: Excellent. Can you give me an example?

SEVEN: The Borg once travelled back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg was trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.

DUCANE: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.

SEVEN: You're welcome.

http://www.chakoteya.net/voyager/523.htm

First Contact, Enterprise, TNG, DS9 and Voyager all occur in the same reality. Anything else is just a fanon conspiracy theory.
Old September 25 2013, 09:57 AM   #78
Mach5
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
First Contact, Enterprise, TNG, DS9 and Voyager all occur in the same reality. Anything else is just a fanon conspiracy theory.
Except that my brain rejects the idea of a predestination paradox, no matter how hard I tried to force it on it.
Old September 25 2013, 12:27 PM   #79
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Actually it's spelled out explicitly in canon. From "Relativity" ...

DUCANE: The Pogo Paradox.

SEVEN: A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.

DUCANE: Excellent. Can you give me an example?

SEVEN: The Borg once travelled back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg was trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.

DUCANE: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.

SEVEN: You're welcome.

http://www.chakoteya.net/voyager/523.htm

Predestination paradoxes don't exist in the Orciverse. So Voyager is wrong.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:38 PM   #80
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

More to the point, we have no idea whether the events of "Relativity" are themselves occurring in an alternate timeline because it's only discussed subjectively.

In other words, while they exist in a timeline in which the Borg interfered with "First Contact", we don't know whether it was the Borg of their timeline that interfered or whether it was Borg from a different timeline that did so. And if you believe that when you travel into the past you jump tracks, then the latter must be the case.
Old September 25 2013, 03:53 PM   #81
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

This is why we fans can't have nice things.
Old September 25 2013, 04:05 PM   #82
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

More to the point, we have no idea whether the events of "Relativity" are themselves occurring in an alternate timeline because it's only discussed subjectively.

In other words, while they exist in a timeline in which the Borg interfered with "First Contact", we don't know whether it was the Borg of their timeline that interfered or whether it was Borg from a different timeline that did so. And if you believe that when you travel into the past you jump tracks, then the latter must be the case.
Any of the possible results are possible. It won't always necessarily be an "alternate timeline is created when you travel back in time" in Trek, it won't always be "possible to change the past" nor will it always be "Impossible to change the past". Any of these three possibilities may happen when Trek does Time Travel, we've seen examples of all of them.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 04:14 PM   #83
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I agree.

Given that Data established that individuals have quantum signatures that can be used to establish their timeline of origination, in-universe I would imagine that these quantum signatures might be tested after any incident during which individuals might have jumped tracks, to establish that they were where they were supposed to be.
Old September 27 2013, 05:38 AM   #84
Opus
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
First Contact' changes Zephram Cochrane, who talks about a future with Robotic Zombies. One could say the universe Picard and crew returned to in the 24th Century was no longer the Prime Universe.
It sure looked like the same universe to me. There's no evidence anything was changed there either.
And the Universe that had Captain Picard eating Vanilla cake at Worf's birthday party looked awfully the same too.

Except it wasn't.

The post-'First Contact' had a Zephram Cochrane that talked about killer zombie cyborgs in the future.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:56 AM   #85
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Opus wrote: View Post

The post-'First Contact' had a Zephram Cochrane that talked about killer zombie cyborgs in the future.
And how do you know the pre-FC didn't also include that? As has been said before, it could be a predestination paradox. Meaning, there was never a timeline when it did not happen. You can't prove that this was not the case.