RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,643
Posts: 5,427,949
Members: 24,811
Currently online: 424
Newest member: Damix

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 24 2013, 04:35 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain
 
The Son'a

We have talked a lot about the Baku on the this forum, but I thought it might be interesting to look at the Son'a.

These guys are not very interesting, their most heinous acts happen off screen and they seemed like a really poor follow up to the Borg.

The revelation they were really Ba'ku were not handled well (and brought up a million questions). Were the Son'a supposed to sympathetic or just evil, because you can argue the Son'a had a valid claim to the planet, but all the off screen villainy is supposed to render them unsympathetic.

It seems like they should have done something different with them: either make them more evil and give them no real connection to the Ba'ku, they are merely monstrous invaders who want to steal the secrets of eternal youth or make them more sympathetic to play up the gray nature of the moral dilemma that supposed to be at the heart of the film or get rid of them altogether and give the conflict just between the Federation and the Ba'ku.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Son'a

The Overlord wrote: View Post
We have talked a lot about the Baku on the this forum, but I thought it might be interesting to look at the Son'a.

These guys are not very interesting, their most heinous acts happen off screen and they seemed like a really poor follow up to the Borg.

The revelation they were really Ba'ku were not handled well (and brought up a million questions). Were the Son'a supposed to sympathetic or just evil, because you can argue the Son'a had a valid claim to the planet, but all the off screen villainy is supposed to render them unsympathetic.

It seems like they should have done something different with them: either make them more evil and give them no real connection to the Ba'ku, they are merely monstrous invaders who want to steal the secrets of eternal youth or make them more sympathetic to play up the gray nature of the moral dilemma that supposed to be at the heart of the film or get rid of them altogether and give the conflict just between the Federation and the Ba'ku.


They are not supposed to be sympathetic, they are supposed to be one-dimensional bad guys. Unfortunately, the premise of INS is so poorly thought out that they end up being sympathetic and you wind up thinking "hey, why are we as viewers supposed to be rooting for the Baku?"


I agree that making the Son'a part of the Baku was a huge mistake. It gave the Son'a even MORE of a case that they were in the right by giving them equal claim to the planet. Had the Son'a not been part of the Baku, but instead generic invaders, and had the Baku been native to the planet, the premise would have been a little better.(though the movie would have still been poor)
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 06:24 AM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The Son'a

Unless we're not -supposed- to be entirely sympathetic towards the presumed "Good Guys".
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: At the After Party Still...
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: The Son'a

It wasn't the Baku or Sona's planet of origin so I don't have sympathy or like either.

In fact I barely liked the Enterprise crew in this one.

Was that the producers plan ? If so they succeeded magnificiently with me at least.

Picard was defending the right of one group of settlers to kick another group of settlers off the planet. Non-Federation citizens. I don't even think Kirk would have gotten involved.

But Picard jumped in because it seemed on the surface the Baku's leader was hot stuff. I remember the episode where he forcibly moved the Native Americans from their Spiritual home in Cardassian space. I felt a tonne more sympathy for the Native Americans.
CommishSleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Son'a

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
It wasn't the Baku or Sona's planet of origin so I don't have sympathy or like either.

In fact I barely liked the Enterprise crew in this one.

Was that the producers plan ? If so they succeeded magnificiently with me at least.

Picard was defending the right of one group of settlers to kick another group of settlers off the planet. Non-Federation citizens. I don't even think Kirk would have gotten involved.

But Picard jumped in because it seemed on the surface the Baku's leader was hot stuff. I remember the episode where he forcibly moved the Native Americans from their Spiritual home in Cardassian space. I felt a tonne more sympathy for the Native Americans.

yeah, juxtaposing "journey's end" with "insurrection" really makes Picard look bad. Every argument he makes in "journey's end" can be turned against himself in "insurrection."
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Son'a

Really the most menacing thing Ruafo does the first half of the movie is bleed on Picard's carpet. Leaving aside all the other plot holes, they really weren't that bad as far as Trek villains go. Oh there's the off screen stuff, but they seem to do everything they can to keep the Baku alive. First the holoship thing, then the tag beaming them out. It's only after Picard starts threatening his plans that he says screw em all, deploy the collector. Which his trusted lieutenant then rebels.

Really is too bad about all those Sona who won't survive the next ten years while the radiation heals them normally either. But mentioning that would get in the way of the generic happy ending.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The Son'a

I suppose it's possible the Son'a lied to Dougherty and they actually can be rejuvenated via normal exposure...they just wanted a faster resolution.

Might be kind of cool if one or more Son'a joined Starfleet in the future and had to get past their species' reputation, though I suppose we've already seen variations on that theme.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Son'a

R. Star wrote: View Post
Really the most menacing thing Ruafo does the first half of the movie is bleed on Picard's carpet. Leaving aside all the other plot holes, they really weren't that bad as far as Trek villains go. Oh there's the off screen stuff, but they seem to do everything they can to keep the Baku alive. First the holoship thing, then the tag beaming them out. It's only after Picard starts threatening his plans that he says screw em all, deploy the collector. Which his trusted lieutenant then rebels.

Really is too bad about all those Sona who won't survive the next ten years while the radiation heals them normally either. But mentioning that would get in the way of the generic happy ending.

the whole reason they had to add so much OFF screen villainy for them(they're drug smugglers! They're slavers! They're conquerors! etc.) is because ON screen they don't really do much that's villainous until the very end, and only after Picard has screwed the whole situation up.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Son'a

Insurrection made no freaking sense, its actually my most hated Star Trek movie. Picard and his crew act way out of character, directly contradicting their actions in a similar situation in the TV show. The people we're supposed to care about are a bunch of selfish self-righteous assholes who you hate. I knew how badly that this movie failed when I sympathized more with the "villains" than the "heroes." The fact that this was occurring at around the same time as the Dominion War over in DS9 made the Enterprise crew's actions even more idiotic.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 08:11 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: The Son'a

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Were the Son'a supposed to sympathetic or just evil ...
A bit of both, the Sona were the evil bastard who were going to provide the people of the federation with a wonderful omni-medical treatment.

Don't get me wrong, the Sona cared nothing for the huge number of people who would benefit from their actions, the Sona were basically thinking solely of themselves first, and a little revenge upon the families who cast them out second.

Inspite of that billions and billion of people across the federation would have had their lives inproved.

(Until Picard started making decisions for the entire federation all by himself)



T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Son'a

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Were the Son'a supposed to sympathetic or just evil ...
A bit of both, the Sona were the evil bastard who were going to provide the people of the federation with a wonderful omni-medical treatment.

Don't get me wrong, the Sona cared nothing for the huge number of people who would benefit from their actions, the Sona were basically thinking solely of themselves first, and a little revenge upon the families who cast them out second.

Inspite of that billions and billion of people across the federation would have had their lives inproved.

(Until Picard started making decisions for the entire federation all by himself)



And that decision directly contradicts his actions in Journey's End.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 09:47 PM   #12
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Son'a

Khan444 wrote: View Post
Insurrection made no freaking sense, its actually my most hated Star Trek movie. Picard and his crew act way out of character, directly contradicting their actions in a similar situation in the TV show. The people we're supposed to care about are a bunch of selfish self-righteous assholes who you hate. I knew how badly that this movie failed when I sympathized more with the "villains" than the "heroes." The fact that this was occurring at around the same time as the Dominion War over in DS9 made the Enterprise crew's actions even more idiotic.

I like this post
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:21 AM   #13
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: The Son'a

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Were the Son'a supposed to sympathetic or just evil ...
A bit of both, the Sona were the evil bastard who were going to provide the people of the federation with a wonderful omni-medical treatment.

Don't get me wrong, the Sona cared nothing for the huge number of people who would benefit from their actions, the Sona were basically thinking solely of themselves first, and a little revenge upon the families who cast them out second.

Inspite of that billions and billion of people across the federation would have had their lives inproved.

(Until Picard started making decisions for the entire federation all by himself)



I think the "little bit of both" approach was the problem, the movie tried to make the Son'a vile, but ended up making them unintentionally sympathetic, so they end being completely bland and generic. They were not supposed to be sympathetic, but nothing about them was scary or menacing. Having their vilest deeds happen off screen did very little to make them menacing. They were just there. Either making them very intentionally sympathetic or making them very evil, would have been better.

Seriously Ru'afo barely did anything besides moan and complain during the film, he is one of the most forgettable villains in a Star Trek film.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: The Son'a

The Overlord wrote: View Post
so they end being completely bland and generic
One of the reasons I like Insurrection (more so than most) is that it is more complex than the average Trek movie, Who the good guys are, and who the bad guys are isn't as obvious as it would first seem. The plot isn't black and white.

The movie could have been made simplistic but it wasn't, straight forward things like who the planet belongs too could have been easy by making the Baku indigenous to the planet instead of interstellar immigrants.

Soon after the Baku figured out the planet's special properties, they could have used their warp ships to spread the word to the galaxy, they didn't.

What's the morality of moving several hundred people in order to help multiple billions?

Instead of spoon feeding the audience, we're allowed to pick sides on our own. based on our own thoughts and beliefs. I like that.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:04 PM   #15
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: At the After Party Still...
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: The Son'a

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
so they end being completely bland and generic
One of the reasons I like Insurrection (more so than most) is that it is more complex than the average Trek movie, Who the good guys are, and who the bad guys are isn't as obvious as it would first seem. The plot isn't black and white.

The movie could have been made simplistic but it wasn't, straight forward things like who the planet belongs too could have been easy by making the Baku indigenous to the planet instead of interstellar immigrants.

Soon after the Baku figured out the planet's special properties, they could have used their warp ships to spread the word to the galaxy, they didn't.

What's the morality of moving several hundred people in order to help multiple billions?

Instead of spoon feeding the audience, we're allowed to pick sides on our own. based on our own thoughts and beliefs. I like that.

That would be OK except that Picard and crew seem to believe in the rightness of the Baku and how wonderful they were in their idealic paradise - wanting to come back and be some of the selective few allowed to share in eternal life.

I want my heroes to stand up for what is right. I don't want to have to go to the trouble to think for myself
CommishSleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.