Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 7 2013, 10:06 AM   #76
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: tabletop

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Has anyone played "Lords of Waterdeep"?

Hubby was watching it played on "Tabletop" and he is really keen to get it. He said it has won a whole string of awards as well. So, can someone here who actually played it give ma a review?

Cheers!
Played three games of it last night. All three of us absolutely love it. First off the box is gorgeous, neat and organised. The game just looks great, and even though there are a lot of pieces it's not hard to keep track of everything.

The rules are actually quite simple, and with some strategy games (Game of Thrones) I get drained towards the end, but I didn't feel that way with LOWD. All three of our games were close, the first two games I was winning up until the final scoring, and the last one my two friends tied.

The theme is strong, there's a lot of ways to go about ordering what you need to do, but there are only a limited amount of spaces on the board so you have to try and figure out in which order to go to them. It's a really fun game and it doesn't feel as though it takes as long as it does.

I especially love the scoring system. The ending is so tense as everyone reveals their lords and how many points they get for their completed quests. If it hadn't been so late last night we would have definitely played a fourth game.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:37 AM   #77
Shanndee
Commodore

Thank you (both!) for your reviews! That helps a lot. I wasn't quite as taken with the game demo as my husband was, but your reviews make it sound like a lot of fun. I think we'll have to order it.

We just picked up "Forbidden Desert" today. I'll let you know how it is.

Oh, and thanks for mentioning the Dice Tower, we've checked it out a couple of times and found it quite helpful.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:51 AM   #78
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

You're welcome. The expansions look really fun as well (and two come in one box!)

I was thinking about getting Forbidden Island because it's pretty cheap at the moment but my friend played it and wasn't too enthused about it.

Has anyone played the LOTR co-op game?

Old September 16 2013, 04:51 AM   #79
Shanndee
Commodore

OK. "Lords of Waterdeep" is my new favourite game! Hubby and I played 3 rounds today, and I have to say I'm hooked. we'll be playing again with friends on Tuesday. I can't wait to see how it goes with 4 people.

I liked "Forbidden Island". It is a new game with each random placing of tiles (some of which are more fun than others). It isn't as much fun with only 2, but when 4 of us play it is better. Come to think of it...it may be the friends rather than the game that are a lot of fun!

We haven't played "Forbidden Dessert" yet. It has the same mechanics as "Island" with some added features to make it more of a challenge. We'll see...

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Old September 16 2013, 10:58 AM   #80
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Glad you liked it! How does it play with 2 player? It's definitely my favourite game of the moment, something about it just clicks. So far we've played 4 games, 3 3 player and 1 4 player. It's very different with 4 player by only having 2 agents to start with. One of my friends has one all the games.

I played about half a game of Battlestar Galactica as well, that seemed pretty fun although it was quite drawn out.

Old September 17 2013, 02:54 AM   #81
Shanndee
Commodore

2 player is fun. Starting with 4 agents (increasing to 5) gives both players lots of opportunity to gain resources and quests. It does tend to be a high scoring game though!

I do like that you can't really predict the winner until all of the hidden points are revealed. It certainly makes for an interesting finale!

Old September 24 2013, 11:49 PM   #82
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Anyone else played Battleship Live? I came across it today at my local bargain place and it looks interesting (can never have too much Battleship, right? ). It has some similarities to Electronic Battleship, but the tower works a bit differently. It tracks player moves and you have some new options, such as a spy plane to track stuff and each ship having a unique, one-shot special power. You can also move ships during play and deal with elements like rogue waves and fog.

I've heard a variety of reviews; apparently people either really like it or really hate it, and in part that seems to be because sometimes the tower doesn't track correctly. But without practicing, I can't judge.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 09:37 AM   #83
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Tried one game of the Cthulu expansion for Smash Up. I played as Miscotonic U/Steam punk. The new factions seem interesting but they also seem a little too dependent on the other new cards. MU seems to rely a lot on madness cards, but if you're the only player with Cthulu cards there aren't going to be that many madness cards drawn for you to use. Also the other factions didn't have much in the way of getting rid of madness cards so it sucked for them dealing with mechanics that didn't exist when their factions were created.

Luckily for me one of the other players had another Cthulu faction that forced lots of madness so I had a lot of ammo to work with. Can't wait to try the other factions.
Old September 25 2013, 08:54 PM   #84
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

I've been wondering what it plays like. I saw it for £11 the other day, but that's gone back up to £15/16 now. I haven't been playing Smash Up that often recently and I'm not a massive Cthulu fan so I though I might just wait.

At top of my wishlist at the moment are:

Marvel Legendary
Star Trek Fleet Captains

(these two are so expensive!)

Castaways (I had a shock today when I saw that it was available on Amazon for £26.99, reduced from £39.99, but it shipped from America so it would have cost me £40 for postage!)

I wouldn't mind some more card games as well, the Star Wars card game or the Star Trek ones, maybe Thunderstone.

Old September 25 2013, 09:18 PM   #85
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Unicron wrote: View Post
Anyone else played Battleship Live? I came across it today at my local bargain place and it looks interesting (can never have too much Battleship, right? ). It has some similarities to Electronic Battleship, but the tower works a bit differently. It tracks player moves and you have some new options, such as a spy plane to track stuff and each ship having a unique, one-shot special power. You can also move ships during play and deal with elements like rogue waves and fog.

I've heard a variety of reviews; apparently people either really like it or really hate it, and in part that seems to be because sometimes the tower doesn't track correctly. But without practicing, I can't judge.
Maybe you might like this Avalon Hill classic Flat Top
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2529/flat-top

Flat Top is a board game of high complexity that covers the battles of the Solomon Seas between the United States and Japan in 1942. It is very well researched and covers all aspects of naval and air combat as it existed in 1942. The system depicts weather, air searches, air combat, surface combat, carrier operations, submarines, air bases, supplies, and much more. The game requires intense planning and searching since movement is covert and the map is pretty huge.

The units are individual ships and submarines with each air point representing three aircraft. Hexes are twenty miles, and each turn represents one-hour.

The game includes thirteen hundred counters, 4 maps to create a 44" x 28" map of the South Pacific, four Allied/Japanese operations cards, three player aid cards, and two log sheets.
Old September 25 2013, 10:30 PM   #86
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ Holy crap that's complicated! Personally, I prefer my games to be easy enough for my kids to understand, and fast-paced enough that it won't lose their attention (or mine!).
Old September 25 2013, 10:56 PM   #87
Davros
Fleet Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
^ Holy crap that's complicated! Personally, I prefer my games to be easy enough for my kids to understand, and fast-paced enough that it won't lose their attention (or mine!).
It's not as bad as Campaign For North Africa where they deal with Italian units requiring more water because of them cooking pasta.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4...r-north-africa

This is a war game like no other. Although the map is big (10 feet / 3.048 m) the game is smaller than other games (Europa for one). There are not as many rules as in ASL. And yet this is the biggest monster game out there for a number of reasons.

The game is detailed to a degree no other game has come close to. If using the full rules you keep track of every individual plane and pilot in the three year campaign. Each counter on the board representing a ground unit is composed of many units which are kept track of on logs. Supplies are kept track of and dispersed in a very detailed manner.

From the rulebook we read how to run a game. "CNA is a logistically-oriented game, and its play requires not only a lot of attention to logistics, but, if you will, a logistically sound methodology." It is suggested that you have 5 persons per side with the following duties.

Commander-in-Chief: responsible for strategic decisions and to settle intra-team disputes.

Logistics Commander: In charge of all supplies. Accepts supply requisitions from the others and keeps all informed of supply shortages. Is in charge of supply dumps, Third line trucks and some second line trucks and is in charge of Naval convoys.

Rear Area Commander: Gets the supplies to the front. In charge of security, reserves, prisoners and construction.

Air Commander: In charge of all planes and pilots. Is responsible for planning air missions and deployment of air bases.

Front-line Commander: Executes all attacks and troop movements in the front line. Helps with coordinating defensive efforts.

Playing time with 10 players is listed at 1200 hours.
Old September 29 2013, 11:23 AM   #88
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Played with the expansions to Lords of Waterdeep on Friday - wow they're so good. I won my first game as well

Old October 5 2013, 01:02 PM   #89
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Finally, there's a new episode of Tabletop this week. Shadows of Camelot looks like a lot of fun. As an aside, does anyone actually bother with the extended episodes? I think they're TOO long I mean maybe if they were an hour I'd watch but 2 hours +?

Also I ordered Marvel Legendary today. Can't wait to play it!

Old October 6 2013, 03:14 AM   #90
Shanndee
Commodore

No, I haven't watched any of the extended episodes, and at 2 or more hours I don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon!

Is there more than one expansion to Lords of Waterdeep Trekkiebaggio? Every time we go to the game shops they tell us that they are sold out. If there is more than one expansion that is really impressive!