Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: borg for Trek 3
yes. 22 19.64%
no. 82 73.21%
save them for ST 4 (if there is one) 8 7.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24 2013, 09:59 PM   #76
Yanks
Captain

Re: Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Khan444 wrote: View Post
No, your post just didn't make any sense.
Our new Romulans are covered in tattoos

Our new Klingons have piercings and helmets.
Old September 24 2013, 10:01 PM   #77
Yanks
Captain

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
We are set up for Klingons buuuuuuut...why not have the Federation and Klingons have a few spats over territory where each thinks the other is decimating colony worlds only to find out that it is the Borg. An alliance is formed and we have a nice blockbuster type battle at the end where we get to fight beside the Klingons and witness the blossoming alliance that always seems to be underlying between the two Alpha Quadrant powers.
Yeah, just hae Kirk run into some Romulans testing a cloaking device too...
Sure...whatever.
I kinda do like your idea though.

Kind of a new Kittomer...
Old September 24 2013, 10:09 PM   #78
Yanks
Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

I know, right? Can you imagine the Borg injecting something under the skin to alter someone's appearance, or assimilating someone with a tattoo, or wearing headgear, or being into piercing body parts at all? As if!

I think you missed the jist of my post.
It's a joke, dude.

And I understood your post just fine. You're complaining about how the Klingons were adorned with piercings and helmets and how the Romulans had facial tattoos, and then extending that to any possible future Abramsverse appearances of the Borg. Your post wasn't exactly the Enigma Code. Hell, it wasn't even the da Vinci Code.

I just found it somewhat amusing that the things you would object to have sort of already been covered by the Borg in the past, with a little creative license.

Old September 24 2013, 10:12 PM   #79
Yanks
Captain

Also, the Romulans in Star Trek XI were much different from Romulans that we've seen before. They were miners, not soldiers or politicians, and the tattoos were explained in the Countdown comic book. Who cares if the Klingons has piercings, they're a warrior culture. Plenty of warrior cultures have piercings, its not that hard to believe.
Feel free to justify it to yourself anyway you want.

I don't care for either.

I like the Klingons minus the piercings.

As far as the Romulans, did the countdown comics before the movie came our depict Nero with tats?
Old September 24 2013, 10:21 PM   #80
OpenMaw
Commander

Yes. The comics actually explain the tattoos. They were from ancient traditions where the Romulans would adorn themselves with a mark that would fade to symbolise the passing of grief. They made sure theirs would not fade, though, because Romulus was destroyed, and all that remained was vengeance.

As far as Klingons with piercings. I don't see the issue. It was one Klingon. It doesn't mean they all look exactly like him. Let's not turn this into another case of bowl cuts ala Spock and the Vulcans.

As far as The Borg? Eh... No, thanks. If they're gonna use something from Trek i'd prefer they stick to pulling things out of TOS to play with. Things we haven't seen a lot of since TOS.
Old September 24 2013, 10:23 PM   #81
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't care for either.

I'm not picking on you, but I think this is part of the problem with some people and their relationship with Star Trek. Not every Klingon is a warrior, the franchise mostly treats them as such. Just because a couple a Abramsverse Klingons have piercings doesn't mean that every Klingon has piercings. Just like because 99% of Klingons we see are warriors, doesn't mean 99% of Klingons are warriors.

Some people just seem very uncomfortable with any variation from what they've come to expect.

As far as the Romulans, did the countdown comics before the movie came our depict Nero with tats?
Both with and without. It explained the tattoos as part of the Romulan grieving process.
Old September 24 2013, 10:27 PM   #82
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Romulans had the Tattoos for a mourning ritual, that's not necessarily the look of all Romulans.

TNG is the one who really, really changed Romulans by giving them those huge Forehead ridges. In TOS, Romulans looked just like Vulcans

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 10:32 PM   #83
Yanks
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't care for either.

I'm not picking on you, but I think this is part of the problem with some people and their relationship with Star Trek? Not every Klingon is a warrior, the franchise mostly treats them as such. Just because a couple a Abramsverse Klingons have piercings doesn't mean that every Klingon has piercings. Just like because 99% of Klingons we see, doesn't mean 99% of Klingons are warriors.

Some people just seem very uncomfortable with any variation from what they've come to expect.

Both with and without. It explained the tattoos as part of the Romulan grieving process.
Grieving aye. So I guess all the Romulans on that ship were in a sad mood.

I remember a Klingon Doctor in Enterprise that looked like a "normal" post TOS Klingon.

But of course we have Chang in TUC... who knows what version/abortion he was.
Old September 24 2013, 10:33 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

TNG is the one who really, really changed Romulans by giving them those huge Forehead ridges. In TOS, Romulans looked just like Vulcans
Don't forget those stupid fucking shoulder pads.
Old September 24 2013, 10:34 PM   #85
Yanks
Captain

The Romulans had the Tattoos for a mourning ritual, that's not necessarily the look of all Romulans.

Yup, never really understood that one. Especially since the only real difference between Romulans and Vulcans is their location.
Old September 24 2013, 10:34 PM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

Since they had all lost their homeworld, why not?
Old September 24 2013, 10:50 PM   #87
Yanks
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Since they had all lost their homeworld, why not?
OK
Old September 24 2013, 10:57 PM   #88
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Yup, never really understood that one. Especially since the only real difference between Romulans and Vulcans is their location.
I always rationalized it (not that you need to, but just for fun) as the Romulans genetically engineering a lot of their people to resist the effects of mind melding and psionic weapons like the Stone of Gol (TNG - Gambit) during or after their schism with the Vulcans. It had the side effect of rendering the Romulans with the ridges incapable of telepathy, while the now minority non-ridged Romulans can still do it with the proper training (and the closely related Remans can as well).

Up until their relationship with Vulcans was exposed in TOS, the non-ridged variety had a far greater presence in the Romulan fleet, and perhaps were even considered a more elite caste in their society due to their unaltered genetic makeup. The ridged variety could have been the soldiers under the helmets.

But any Romulans who interacted or could interact with Vulcans (like those in ENT) and later after their reveal almost the entire Romulan fleet was switched to the ridged variety because they couldn't be manipulated or read by their Vulcan enemies. The non-ridged Romulans fell out of favor with the new government due to their decadence and later took on more menial jobs, like the miners on Nero's ship (they had ridges, but more subtle ones).
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 11:15 PM   #89
Yanks
Captain

I always rationalized it (not that you need to, but just for fun) as the Romulans genetically engineering a lot of their people to resist the effects of mind melding and psionic weapons like the Stone of Gol (TNG - Gambit) during or after their schism with the Vulcans. It had the side effect of rendering the Romulans with the ridges incapable of telepathy, while the now minority non-ridged Romulans can still do it with the proper training (and the closely related Remans can as well).

Up until their relationship with Vulcans was exposed in TOS, the non-ridged variety had a far greater presence in the Romulan fleet, and perhaps were even considered a more elite caste in their society due to their unaltered genetic makeup. The ridged variety could have been the soldiers under the helmets.

But any Romulans who interacted or could interact with Vulcans (like those in ENT) and later after their reveal almost the entire Romulan fleet was switched to the ridged variety because they couldn't be manipulated or read by their Vulcan enemies. The non-ridged Romulans fell out of favor with the new government due to their decadence and later took on more menial jobs, like the miners on Nero's ship (they had ridges, but more subtle ones).
Wow! Sounds good to me.
Old September 24 2013, 11:33 PM   #90
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
Yes. The comics actually explain the tattoos. They were from ancient traditions where the Romulans would adorn themselves with a mark that would fade to symbolise the passing of grief. They made sure theirs would not fade, though, because Romulus was destroyed, and all that remained was vengeance.

As far as Klingons with piercings. I don't see the issue. It was one Klingon. It doesn't mean they all look exactly like him. Let's not turn this into another case of bowl cuts ala Spock and the Vulcans.

As far as The Borg? Eh... No, thanks. If they're gonna use something from Trek i'd prefer they stick to pulling things out of TOS to play with. Things we haven't seen a lot of since TOS.
So, some people are complaining about Abrams rehashing old stuff, and then argue that they should stick to "TOS stuff" instead of changing things up. I believe that that is called a double standard.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote