Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 24 2013, 08:19 PM   #61
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Timeline branching going forward *spoilers*

How do we know that time travel wasn't responsible for the divergence of the Mirror Unvierse?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 08:52 PM   #62
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Yanks wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

"alternate reality" is used in "In a Mirror, Darkly" by T'Pol to refer to the prime universe, a concurrently existing timeline to the mirror one.
The Mirror Universe from TOS: "Mirror, Mirror", from several DS9 episodes and from ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly" is the first proof of the existence of a parallel universe. On the other hand, we never get to see the point of divergence. The Mirror Universe may not have been created by a time travel. For all we can imagine, it may have been severed from our own universe in its early days. For some reason, it maintains close ties to our universe, which we would not normally expect because of the second law of thermodynamics that requires the separate universes to diverge increasingly over time. The Mirror Universe is a one-off phenomenon. The somewhat parallel development to the main timeline is not only dubious in real science. It does not comply either with what happens in most time travel incidents, where the changes accumulate (the "butterfly effect"), rather than lead to the birth of visually (and genetically?) identical characters in both universes. Hence, the Mirror Universe can't really serve as a prototype for what happens in "Star Trek (2009)".
But they use the same term ("Alternate reality") to describe the new movie universe (created by time travel) as they did to describe the mirror universe (more likely a spontaneous divegence as described by Data in the clip from "Parallels" I posted above ("For any event there are an infinite number of probable outcomes... anything that can happen, does happen, in alternate quantum realities"). Since the mirror universe doesn't overwrite the prime one, and Mirror-T'Pol described the Prime universe as "an alternate reality", it stands to reason that the term "alternate reality" descibes the non-overwriting parallel kind.

Remember it's fiction. They can change the rules if they want. I enjoy the novels that continue the prime universe and according to the writers of the movie and the novel DTI: Watching the Clock, they co-exist in the Trek multiverse. It's good enough for me.
Old September 24 2013, 09:22 PM   #63
Yanks
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
How do we know that time travel wasn't responsible for the divergence of the Mirror Unvierse?
We don't, but that doesn't mean you can use that excuse to justify thinking it was.
Old September 24 2013, 09:26 PM   #64
Relayer1
Commodore

Makarov wrote: View Post
I know there's been differences between this timeline so far and the prime one. So far though, the movie plots have kept the characters pretty much status quo.

For instance, for a moment I thought they might kill off Kirk, or have crew members actually leave the Enterprise for good.

I'm curious if you guys think they will use the "different timeline" in a major way going forward? Killing a major character, making Kirk/Spock turn evil, etc... or do you think they will try to avoid changing up the crew?
Nope - this is movies, not the relatively settled environment of TV. Cast will move on and the core of the franchise will change. People may be killed off, spin offs to replace the core franchise may be required...
Old September 24 2013, 09:32 PM   #65
Yanks
Fleet Captain

"alternate reality" is used in "In a Mirror, Darkly" by T'Pol to refer to the prime universe, a concurrently existing timeline to the mirror one.
The Mirror Universe from TOS: "Mirror, Mirror", from several DS9 episodes and from ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly" is the first proof of the existence of a parallel universe. On the other hand, we never get to see the point of divergence. The Mirror Universe may not have been created by a time travel. For all we can imagine, it may have been severed from our own universe in its early days. For some reason, it maintains close ties to our universe, which we would not normally expect because of the second law of thermodynamics that requires the separate universes to diverge increasingly over time. The Mirror Universe is a one-off phenomenon. The somewhat parallel development to the main timeline is not only dubious in real science. It does not comply either with what happens in most time travel incidents, where the changes accumulate (the "butterfly effect"), rather than lead to the birth of visually (and genetically?) identical characters in both universes. Hence, the Mirror Universe can't really serve as a prototype for what happens in "Star Trek (2009)".
But they use the same term ("Alternate reality") to describe the new movie universe (created by time travel) as they did to describe the mirror universe (more likely a spontaneous divegence as described by Data in the clip from "Parallels" I posted above ("For any event there are an infinite number of probable outcomes... anything that can happen, does happen, in alternate quantum realities"). Since the mirror universe doesn't overwrite the prime one, and Mirror-T'Pol described the Prime universe as "an alternate reality", it stands to reason that the term "alternate reality" descibes the non-overwriting parallel kind.

Remember it's fiction. They can change the rules if they want. I enjoy the novels that continue the prime universe and according to the writers of the movie and the novel DTI: Watching the Clock, they co-exist in the Trek multiverse. It's good enough for me.
I can appreciate that. But this seems to be a play on words that suits your needs.

T'Pol knew there was a different universe. She saw it in the computer.

All our new TOS heroes know is that their destiny has been changed.
Old September 24 2013, 09:33 PM   #66
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

DonIago wrote: View Post
We don't, but that doesn't mean you can use that excuse to justify thinking it was.
I think I just established that it's a possibility. And if the MU was established that way and is an alternate timeline then I've just strengthened the case for the recent films being set in an alternate timeline.
Old September 24 2013, 09:43 PM   #67
SeerSGB
Admiral

I can appreciate that. But this seems to be a play on words that suits your needs.

In THIS timeline, the original remains unchanged.
Old September 24 2013, 10:49 PM   #68
Yanks
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

You have no proof of that seer.

No time travel in trek has ever created a different timeline.
Old September 24 2013, 11:08 PM   #69
DonIago
Rear Admiral

If the changes were subtle enough, you'd never know if it did...
Old September 24 2013, 11:37 PM   #70
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

Abrams and co specifically said that this was an ALTERNATE timeline, but I didn't change to old one. It was their way of rebooting and doing new stuff without having to say that everything that happened in the last 50 years of franchise history didn't count.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 11:48 PM   #71
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Say what?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alternate_timeline
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 11:58 PM   #72
Opus
Commodore

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

You have no proof of that seer.

'City on the Edge of Forever'. Spock is even using the Tricorder to see the changes resulting in the alternate timeline.

'Parallels' proves that alternate timelines exist and diverge ad infinitum. Multiple Universe Theory plays out that every decision causes a split in the timeline that creates a new universe.

'First Contact' changes Zephram Cochrane, who talks about a future with Robotic Zombies. One could say the universe Picard and crew returned to in the 24th Century was no longer the Prime Universe.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:12 AM   #73
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

@ Yanks - I would suggest the history of Star Trek (all encompassing) abounds with different / alternate timelines - and Abrams' movies are in keeping with this Trek tradition.
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:40 AM   #74
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

And we've never seen red matter black hole time travel before, so it's not a problem if it creates a branching timeline in STXI. Also see this graphic.
Old September 25 2013, 03:59 AM   #75
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Opus wrote: View Post
First Contact' changes Zephram Cochrane, who talks about a future with Robotic Zombies. One could say the universe Picard and crew returned to in the 24th Century was no longer the Prime Universe.
It sure looked like the same universe to me. There's no evidence anything was changed there either.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote