RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,376
Posts: 5,504,481
Members: 25,125
Currently online: 602
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 23 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander
 
David.Blue's Avatar
 
What Kinds of Characters?

I'm fairly easy in terms of the setup of any future Star Trek. As long as there's potential and not some gigantic trap or doesn't sound like an absolute copy of something else, I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Frankly I'm more interested in characters.

To give an example, the Kirk/Spock/Bones trinity in TOS. Here you have a very young, very talented commanding officer with virtually two sides of any possible argument embodied in two older senior officers aboard the same ship. One utterly logical, calm, Apollonian. The other moody, emotional, fairly Dionysian in his own way. One is Kirk's expert, the other his heart. The exact same dynamic can be seen in Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Buffy/Willow/Xander and in the works of J.K.Rowling with Harry/Hermione/Ron.

Now take a look at the Viper pilots in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. Frankly, they're a mess emotionally and never seem to end their squabbles, their arguments, etc. Yet they have a shared history, a shared purpose and a mutual discipline when it comes to their job.

Here's an idea that pops in my mind:

We've known since "Balance of Terror" that the Stiles (or maybe Styles) family seems to have a long history in Starfleet. One notes that it seems the Kirk and Paris and even the Sulu families likewise seem multi-generational veterans. Now suppose we imagine the scion of such a clan. Call her Gloria Styles. She's grown up expecting to command her own ship someday, to seek out new life and new civilizations, etc. Graduated top of her class at the Academy. Grew up around Admirals, has steadily seen promotion. Sees the entire universe through the lens of Starfleet Officers, the best of the best in her eyes. Now put her next to Raoul Dixon--someone from a barely viable colony who joined Starfleet at the lowest level just to get a job. Proved to be good! Hard-working and hard-playing, someone unsentimental and thinks outside the box. Was court martialed for something, got off on a technicality. Then won a field promotion! He's irreverent, has a wicked sense of humor, is a natural born trickster and an excellent liar.

Now put those two right next to each other on some assignment.

What kinds of characters would you like to see?
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 11:56 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

I'd prefer to see someone new, or the spotlight on a minor character. The story of Kirk and Spock has been told and is now being retold. Something new and original would be nice. Styles wasn't exactly the most sympathetic character, but the story of a descendant living in the shadow of Spacedock Styles' disgrace and overcoming that might be interesting.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant
 
SolitaryJustice's Avatar
 
Location: Bozeman, MT
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

I REALLY like the idea of a Captain Jack Harkness in Star Trek. Someone bold, takes stands, makes the really tough calls that piss the crew off, but will do anything for them, and they all KNOW he's the boss, and they all trust him, but nobody really KNOWS anything about who he is, where he came from, etc. Openly gay, very cool, especially if it's on a small crew.
__________________
"In the course of my life, I have more than once been too ignorant to know that something was impossible before I did it anyway." -Maximus from the Codex Alera
SolitaryJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 06:51 AM   #4
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander
 
David.Blue's Avatar
 
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

Captain Jack Harkness isn't just gay, or bisexual or trisexual. He is omnisexual, even flirting pretty strongly with Chan'tho (who was cute as blue insectoids go, but still...)

Not that I'm objecting! He's a great character!

So was Chan'tho for that matter...
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

Aliens. Lots of aliens.

It's about time we saw Starfleet as it should be, with a much more diverse crew, where humans make up only a small percentage--I'd say no more than three in the main cast. It would allow for looking at situations and problems from very different perspectives, rather than just applying human morals and ideals to them with the belief that they are right.

It would also be able to bring some visually interest characters to the screen, as well as unique backgrounds and story ideas (bland human characters such as Kim and Mayweather did nothing but tick a 'diversity' box which has already been done many times in Trek).

For example, an unjoined Trill woman as Captain, a Vulcan male Counsellor, an Andorian zhen at the Conn, plus a couple of totally new aliens in the mix as well as Science Officer and Chief Engineer. The humans could then fill the XO, Operations and Security roles, with maybe a human/alien hybrid as the Doctor.

Whatever the line up they have to be interesting, with their own stories and drives--not just single sentence descriptions (Kim started off as the inexperienced, in-over-his-head rookie, but that can only go on for a year or two before he needed something more to define him).
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant
 
SolitaryJustice's Avatar
 
Location: Bozeman, MT
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

David.Blue wrote: View Post
Captain Jack Harkness isn't just gay, or bisexual or trisexual. He is omnisexual, even flirting pretty strongly with Chan'tho (who was cute as blue insectoids go, but still...)

Not that I'm objecting! He's a great character!

So was Chan'tho for that matter...
Dude! Chan Chan'tho was a great character tho! I loved Captain Jack Harkness. Dude would f**k anything. He was badass. I just recently saw the episode with the real Captain Jack Harkness, where they were in the old theater, and he kissed the dude before he left... broke my heart. Star Trek has has grown from young, white male to old, bald male, black man, female Captain, it's time for a gay captain (omnisexual works, too). Jump on the civil rights fight of OUR generation.
__________________
"In the course of my life, I have more than once been too ignorant to know that something was impossible before I did it anyway." -Maximus from the Codex Alera
SolitaryJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 04:47 PM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

  • I'd like to see a captain with a slightly eccentric quirk--perhaps a tendency to wear a somewhat non-regulation uniform or something--as well as possess an inclination to not always say the most politically correct things.
  • A sexy, but older female first officer with a good sense of humor and a tendency to say what people (as in the television audience) are really thinking at times.
  • A dirty old man as the chief medical officer, although his reputation is far more of a joke (started by the first officer) than anything real.
  • An alien science officer from a new species, but reminiscent of either Data or a young Spock.
  • A gruff noncom chief of security who doesn't talk very much, but lets his actions speak very loudly instead.
  • A dashing young male lieutenant who's a couple of years too young for his rank and a bit of an asshole(he doesn't play well with others).
  • Young female alien ensign from a race that only developed warp drive and joined the Federation a decade ago. Inexperienced as hell, but excited to be the first of her people to travel this far into space. We'll see a lot of things through her eyes, including some hard lessons to be learned.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant
 
SolitaryJustice's Avatar
 
Location: Bozeman, MT
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
  • I'd like to see a captain with a slightly eccentric quirk--perhaps a tendency to wear a somewhat non-regulation uniform or something--as well as possess an inclination to not always say the most politically correct things.
  • A sexy, but older female first officer with a good sense of humor and a tendency to say what people (as in the television audience) are really thinking at times.
  • A dirty old man as the chief medical officer, although his reputation is far more of a joke (started by the first officer) than anything real.
  • An alien science officer from a new species, but reminiscent of either Data or a young Spock.
  • A gruff noncom chief of security who doesn't talk very much, but lets his actions speak very loudly instead.
  • A dashing young male lieutenant who's a couple of years too young for his rank and a bit of an asshole(he doesn't play well with others).
  • Young female alien ensign from a race that only developed warp drive and joined the Federation a decade ago. Inexperienced as hell, but excited to be the first of her people to travel this far into space. We'll see a lot of things through her eyes, including some hard lessons to be learned.
Here's my issue. I like what you're saying here, but this falls into a Trek norm of "a captain, a first officer, a chief medical officer, a science officer, a security chief, and a young and innocent lieutenant..." I would love to see a crew with these characters, but not necessarily in their "assigned positions". It's got too much of the formula that drove people away. Think about it.... Every show had it's Data/Spock/Tuvok/T'pol, it's Scotty/Trip/O'Brien, it's Doctor/Bashir/McCoy... every reincarnation was new characters limited by the same position. Bashir, for example, could only be so much because he was a doctor. They pushed his envelope, but in the end, he was the doctor. I'd like to see something a little more fringe where the doctor maybe isn't a good guy, where the dirty old doctor was maybe once a cooker of some drug that we don't know about yet, or maybe he rolled with some thugs who needed patched up from time to time but he's really a cook or a pilot who just happens to practice medicine, and not well at that....
__________________
"In the course of my life, I have more than once been too ignorant to know that something was impossible before I did it anyway." -Maximus from the Codex Alera
SolitaryJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 05:18 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

You want the heroes to deal drugs in Star Trek..?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant
 
SolitaryJustice's Avatar
 
Location: Bozeman, MT
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

Not anymore, but I want the heroes to have pasts that are more than just your friendly "Public Service Announcement" that your typical Star Trek takes. I want heroes with flaws. One of the things I loved about Sisko's character was that he had flaws, he was a single dad, he conspired to murder a Romulan Senator: flaws. I want characters that have real problems that an audience can relate to.
__________________
"In the course of my life, I have more than once been too ignorant to know that something was impossible before I did it anyway." -Maximus from the Codex Alera
SolitaryJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 06:37 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
  • I'd like to see a captain with a slightly eccentric quirk--perhaps a tendency to wear a somewhat non-regulation uniform or something--as well as possess an inclination to not always say the most politically correct things.
  • A sexy, but older female first officer with a good sense of humor and a tendency to say what people (as in the television audience) are really thinking at times.
  • A dirty old man as the chief medical officer, although his reputation is far more of a joke (started by the first officer) than anything real.
  • An alien science officer from a new species, but reminiscent of either Data or a young Spock.
  • A gruff noncom chief of security who doesn't talk very much, but lets his actions speak very loudly instead.
  • A dashing young male lieutenant who's a couple of years too young for his rank and a bit of an asshole(he doesn't play well with others).
  • Young female alien ensign from a race that only developed warp drive and joined the Federation a decade ago. Inexperienced as hell, but excited to be the first of her people to travel this far into space. We'll see a lot of things through her eyes, including some hard lessons to be learned.
Here's my issue. I like what you're saying here, but this falls into a Trek norm of "a captain, a first officer, a chief medical officer, a science officer, a security chief, and a young and innocent lieutenant..." I would love to see a crew with these characters, but not necessarily in their "assigned positions".
You've got me completely wrong here, because I'm listing more than their positions, but basic aspects of their personalities. I'm also trying to be brief and not write full page dissertations on each character.

It's got too much of the formula that drove people away. Think about it.... Every show had it's Data/Spock/Tuvok/T'pol, it's Scotty/Trip/O'Brien, it's Doctor/Bashir/McCoy... every reincarnation was new characters limited by the same position. Bashir, for example, could only be so much because he was a doctor. They pushed his envelope, but in the end, he was the doctor. I'd like to see something a little more fringe where the doctor maybe isn't a good guy, where the dirty old doctor was maybe once a cooker of some drug that we don't know about yet, or maybe he rolled with some thugs who needed patched up from time to time but he's really a cook or a pilot who just happens to practice medicine, and not well at that....
You've got to understand that each Trek show is going to be someone's first. So yes, there are going to be certain familiar character types, but we find that in every story. Every character is a particular type, be it a starship captain or a mobster. What makes a character unique is the way the character is written, how it's portrayed by an actor, and what happens to it during the course of the series.

And quite frankly, I totally hate to see any Trek characters (much less mine) go down the routes you suggest. If I want to see that, I can just look at the evening news, so no, I'll never be behind that (there are plenty of other shows where you can see that kind of stuff).
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 06:56 PM   #12
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant
 
SolitaryJustice's Avatar
 
Location: Bozeman, MT
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

Well, maybe, for fans like you, you can just watch reruns of what you're familiar with. That way, you can have your cookie-cutter characters without having to defend your dissertation, and you can have everyone be happy-go-lucky with no flaws so that the Trek that pushes the envelope IN RESPONSE to the evening news, that can be for everyone else. You can stay in your kind and gentle world of what's happened. It's okay. I know that seeing people with flaws that they overcome, while realistic, is very hard to watch because it solicits an emotion other than Disney-channel or PBS-style happiness...
__________________
"In the course of my life, I have more than once been too ignorant to know that something was impossible before I did it anyway." -Maximus from the Codex Alera
SolitaryJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

Good ones. Not the cardboard cutouts we got from 1987-2005.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:14 PM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
Well, maybe, for fans like you, you can just watch reruns of what you're familiar with. That way, you can have your cookie-cutter characters without having to defend your dissertation, and you can have everyone be happy-go-lucky with no flaws so that the Trek that pushes the envelope IN RESPONSE to the evening news, that can be for everyone else. You can stay in your kind and gentle world of what's happened. It's okay. I know that seeing people with flaws that they overcome, while realistic, is very hard to watch because it solicits an emotion other than Disney-channel or PBS-style happiness...
That's total crap from start to finish. That's just your own view of things, which quite frankly isn't true as we see all kinds of characters struggle with the problems in their respective worlds (which in Trek, can literally be the survival of entire actual worlds).

But fine, if you don't like Trek nobody is forcing you to watch.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."

Last edited by C.E. Evans; September 24 2013 at 09:37 PM.
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:33 PM   #15
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander
 
David.Blue's Avatar
 
Re: What Kinds of Characters?

Methinks SolitaryJustice makes a good point that one way to bring out interesting characters is to shake up expectations.

For example, C.E.Evans gave a very brief list of the senior positions aboard a ship. I'd suggest giving each of his characters a name, then randomly (as in use a dice roll) to assign their position aboard ship. If the "A dashing young male lieutenant who's a couple of years too young for his rank and a bit of an asshole(he doesn't play well with others)" with the First Officer or Chief Medical Officer the story just takes a more interesting turn! Way more interesting!

Let the "sexy, but older female first officer with a good sense of humor and a tendency to say what people (as in the television audience) are really thinking at times" be Captain! Or Chief of Security!

Here's a thought experiment to further illustrate what I mean: Take the Chief Medical officers from each show--Bones, Crusher, Bashir, The Doctor, Phlox. Cast them as the bridge crew of a starship. Not one gets to be the ship's doctor. We'll give that job to Seven of Nine maybe. Or Kirk. Think outside the box.

Who's the Captain? Science Officer? Chief Engineer, Helm, Operations? Folks may disagree but if you obey the rules--draw ONLY upon those five characters--the result will prove fascinating. Certainly you end up with a bridge crew that feels fresh, story possibilities opening up in all kinds of ways.
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.