Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 22 2013, 11:48 PM   #271
Christopher
Writer

Re: News about early 2014 schedule

^I'd think Sulu would've been a more likely choice for first officer than a freshly graduated lieutenant like Saavik. Or maybe Chekov, who'd already had first-officer experience.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 11:56 PM   #272
Daddy Todd
Captain

^Well, maybe that's why Sulu was supposed to get his own command (according to the shooting script of TWoK.) He and the rest of the "Gang of Four" would have been promoted off the Enterprise and replaced with fresh faces.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 12:33 AM   #273
Christopher
Writer

^As I said, my impression is that they were planning on a gradual transition from the original cast to a new one, not an abrupt one. Although I don't know for sure.

Old September 23 2013, 12:42 AM   #274
Daddy Todd
Captain

And I'm not arguing this was ever mapped out in any definitive way. It probably mostly depended on how charismatic the new actors were, and how well their characters went over with the audience.

And how much Paramount wanted to pay the aging Original Series stars for a ongoing movie (or TV) series.

I would've loved seeing Captain Saavik and her crew in a weekly TV series. I think Alley could've headlined such a series quite well . Merritt Butrick didn't really have Leading Man charisma, but he could've been effective as a second or third banana.

In any event, Nimoy's desire to come back as Spock pretty much blew any advance planning out of the water. Which is fine; we got a few great movies out of the deal.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 09:02 PM   #275
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Markonian wrote: View Post
In The Shocks of Adversity, Chekov's absence in TAS is explained by him being cross-trained in all divisions, under Spock's guidance.
I think you mean a different title; Chekov was very much present throughout Shocks.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 09:08 PM   #276
Christopher
Writer

^He didn't say Chekov was absent in the book, just that the book explained his absence in TAS.

Old September 24 2013, 06:42 AM   #277
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Plus, part of the appeal of writing 5YM books is that I can basically go off and do my own thing without having to worry about meshing my plot with some complicated, over-arching continuity. I can see where that kind of collaborative enterprise can be stimulating in its own way (I enjoyed working out 4400 story arcs with Dave Mack), but there's something to be said for being able to work independently and explore my own favorite corners of the Trek universe without having to coordinate my efforts with eight other authors! Just as a personal preference.

Besides, its seems to me that the 24th century is in good hands these days!
The thing that disappoints me the most about TOS/5YM/23rdC books is the fact that they don't seem to have any real sense of continuity with other TOS books. Every once in a while there might be a reference to an older book thrown in by an author, but it seems to be an exception rather than a rule.

I would love to see TOS handled a little bit more like 24thC. I don't mean I really want or need there to be on-going arcs like TNG/DS9/VOY books, just a sense of flow from one book to the next. A stand-alone can still have a little reference to the last book or a little bit of set up for the next one just to get that feeling of flow, that they co-exist in the same universe.

But, that's just me. YMMV.
Old September 24 2013, 11:18 AM   #278
Relayer1
Commodore

I think flowing from one TOS book to another would be fine for some novels, but they do seem to 'jump' around the entire 5 years a lot. It may be a better idea to just have a flowchart of crew changes to keep the cast correct and just have an occasional link to other novels at the authors discretion.

It certainly won't get like the 24th century continuity, but a little would be nice...
Old September 24 2013, 01:37 PM   #279
Lonemagpie
Writer

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I would love to see TOS handled a little bit more like 24thC. I don't mean I really want or need there to be on-going arcs like TNG/DS9/VOY books, just a sense of flow from one book to the next. A stand-alone can still have a little reference to the last book or a little bit of set up for the next one just to get that feeling of flow, that they co-exist in the same universe.

But, that's just me. YMMV.
I think that'd actually just throw up flaws in the timeline and throw people out of their suspension of disbelief, because it wouldn't take long at all for it to become obvious that there's about 30 years' worth of stories in those five years...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 01:47 PM   #280
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I think that'd actually just throw up flaws in the timeline and throw people out of their suspension of disbelief, because it wouldn't take long at all for it to become obvious that there's about 30 years' worth of stories in those five years...
Most people didn't notice that S.C.E. had that problem. Admittedly, it was only about two years of story in one year, but still...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 01:48 PM   #281
Christopher
Writer

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
The thing that disappoints me the most about TOS/5YM/23rdC books is the fact that they don't seem to have any real sense of continuity with other TOS books. Every once in a while there might be a reference to an older book thrown in by an author, but it seems to be an exception rather than a rule.
Both Greg Cox (The Rings of Time) and Dayton Ward (From History's Shadow) took care to keep their books consistent with DTI: Forgotten History, and Dayton and I both kept our books consistent with Greg's Gary Seven books. And I also kept DTI:FH consistent with what A Choice of Catastrophes had established about the full names of TOS bit players. So some of us are making an effort to coordinate.

Although I suppose I can understand the appeal of going back to a more traditional standalone approach for TOS novels, for nostalgia's sake if nothing else. No harm in having both approaches in play. After all, as Lonemagpie says, there's no way to fit all the TOS tie-ins into the 5YM, since there's simply not enough room. So it's probably for the best if only some of them share a continuity and the rest represent alternative continuities.

Old September 24 2013, 03:55 PM   #282
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

TerraUnam wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

"Captain's Log. We have received an urgent distress call from the U.S.S. Brigham Young . . . ."
Their replicators are down and they are out of Jello....
And Kathryn Janeway saves the day by forcing the crew of the Brigham Young to drink Coffee Black.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:52 AM   #283
JD
Admiral

Is No Time Like The Past going to be the first time TOS characters have interacted with one or more of the main characters from a 24th Century series in their own time?
Old October 29 2013, 01:39 AM   #284
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Is No Time Like The Past going to be the first time TOS characters have interacted with one or more of the main characters from a 24th Century series in their own time?

Didn't TNG #32 "Requiem" have Picard thrown back to the time of "Arena"?
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 03:09 AM   #285
Christopher
Writer

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post

Didn't TNG #32 "Requiem" have Picard thrown back to the time of "Arena"?
Yes, but he didn't interact with TOS characters, just with the Cestus III colonists.

To JD's question, there's "Trials and Tribble-ations," of course. And Forgotten History has