Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 20 2013, 05:00 PM   #781
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

I wouldn't say Gravitron is "their" Magneto. They're most likely doing what "Arrow" has done and will use the series to push lesser known characters into the mainstream.

As for when Namor went to Universal...Fiege is the one who stated this, and I would guess sometime between "Iron Man 2" since Atlantis was shown as one of hot spots on Fury's monitor and now. I would assume the rights situation works the same way with Marvel Studios as it does with any other studio, they have to be actively developing a film with the character or else they become available. This kind of came out of nowhere.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:29 PM   #782
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Why would Marvel Studios have to be developing a character to preserve it? Aren't they the ones who own it by default? Granted, if they're not developing a character, it makes sense to lease it to get some money, but I don't think they're required to use a character.
Old September 20 2013, 06:02 PM   #783
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Why would Marvel Studios have to be developing a character to preserve it? Aren't they the ones who own it by default?
That's right. It's the other studios, the ones who acquire licenses to the characters, who eventually lose those licenses if they don't use them. That's to keep other studios from acquiring a property and sitting on it just to keep the rightful owner from using it. Unless they actually use the character or concept, eventually the rights revert to the owner.

Now, trademarks tends to lapse if they aren't actively used. That's how Fawcett's trademark on the name "Captain Marvel" lapsed, allowing Marvel to snatch it up for a new character. But that's different from losing the rights to the actual character, as opposed to just the name. DC needed to acquire a license in order to use the original Captain Marvel/Billy Batson character. Names, titles, and logos are trademarked, while characters and concepts are copyrighted.

So if, say, Marvel went a couple of decades without using the Sub-Mariner, the trademark on the name could lapse and another company could theoretically create their own character named Sub-Mariner. But it wouldn't be Prince Namor, the mutant king of Atlantis. Only the name would become public domain.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:20 PM   #784
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Why would Marvel Studios have to be developing a character to preserve it? Aren't they the ones who own it by default?
That's right. It's the other studios, the ones who acquire licenses to the characters, who eventually lose those licenses if they don't use them. That's to keep other studios from acquiring a property and sitting on it just to keep the rightful owner from using it. Unless they actually use the character or concept, eventually the rights revert to the owner.

Now, trademarks tends to lapse if they aren't actively used. That's how Fawcett's trademark on the name "Captain Marvel" lapsed, allowing Marvel to snatch it up for a new character. But that's different from losing the rights to the actual character, as opposed to just the name. DC needed to acquire a license in order to use the original Captain Marvel/Billy Batson character. Names, titles, and logos are trademarked, while characters and concepts are copyrighted.

So if, say, Marvel went a couple of decades without using the Sub-Mariner, the trademark on the name could lapse and another company could theoretically create their own character named Sub-Mariner. But it wouldn't be Prince Namor, the mutant king of Atlantis. Only the name would become public domain.
I was sort of thinking about this the other day. Namor doesn't seem to be referred to as "The Sub-Mariner" very often these days. Looking at the dramatis personae page in both New Avengers and Infinty, he's just called Namor. Even Reed Richards is called by his little used code name there, but not Subby.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:34 PM   #785
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I'm not sure what the situation would be if the character remains in use but the name falls out of use. I doubt the trademark would be lost in that case, though I can't be positive.

Old September 20 2013, 06:43 PM   #786
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

^More of an observation on the way the character is referred to than anything else. Namor was kind of on the cutting edge of the trend to down play code names.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:47 PM   #787
Christopher
Writer

^With a code name like "The Sub-Mariner," I can't blame him...

Old September 20 2013, 07:23 PM   #788
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I did say that I assume...I guess then they just got money from Universal. Namor did revert back to them though from somewhere else before which is why we saw Atlantis on the status screen. This still came out of nowhere since most fans assumed that we would see a Marvel Studios "Namor" film at some point.

Old September 21 2013, 12:37 AM   #789
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Universal was working on the Namor movie back in 2003; that's five years before the first Iron Man movie and the start of the Marvel movieverse.

You can read about in reference to a Namor book that Bill Jemas wrote in order to try to influence the development of the film. Look about halfway down the page to see the article at this link:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0301/23/
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:50 AM   #790
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Indeed they were. Dwayne Johnson was attached or rumoured for their "Sub-Mariner" film, however at some point those rights reverted back to Marvel Studios, then now have gone back to Universal.

Old September 21 2013, 01:01 AM   #791
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

There's no reason to assume that an easter egg such as inclusion on Fury's monitor means that Marvel had the rights to the character at that time. It seems more likely that Universal has had the rights consistently to present.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:06 AM   #792
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Yes, I highly doubt Marvel would try to farm out their products after they created their own movie studio.
Old September 24 2013, 11:59 AM   #793
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Today is the day.

Here is a new preview with scenes from more episodes than just the pilot. Possible evidence of Graviton briefly at 1:09 and the first footage of the red masked guys seen in Stockholm.

I've read that some folks on-line seem to think the red mask guys are U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M., but I've read nothing official to confirm that and they look nothing like the U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M. that I remember from the comics, so I'm not sure what they're basing that on.
Old September 24 2013, 02:05 PM   #794
Christopher
Writer

When I saw the guys in red masks, my immediate reaction was that they're Red Skull acolytes or groupies of some sort, maybe an MCU equivalent of Neo-Nazis.

Old September 24 2013, 06:29 PM   #795
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
When I saw the guys in red masks, my immediate reaction was that they're Red Skull acolytes or groupies of some sort, maybe an MCU equivalent of Neo-Nazis.
But according to The First Avenger there were no nazis in the Marvel Movie 'Verse. Just Hydra, with teeny-tiny swastikas in their emblems.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote