Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 24 2013, 12:38 AM   #1
HaplessCrewman
Commander

State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Pretty even-handed account of the state of Trek post-Into Darkness from Entertainment Geekly.

Writer seems to be saying (in part) that though the film did well, the creators (who went in with the best of intentions) are upset that the fans are not embracing the film whole-hardheartedly. The fan-creator divide seems more contentious than ever.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/19/st...ess-jj-abrams/

BTW, everyone knows there will be a third film but has Paramount officially announced it yet? I read somewhere that Orci and Kurtzman are back on board.
Old September 24 2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Dream
Admiral

Re: State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Not everyone loved Benedict Cumberbatch: The Movie! They shouldn't be so shocked.
Old September 24 2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Cumberbatch was the only reason I even saw the movie.
Old September 24 2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

The upset fans are a loud minority, the majority seem to enjoy the movie.
Old September 24 2013, 02:14 AM   #5
austen_pierce
Commander

I checked out when I hit this:

"Last month, the annual Star Trek convention in Las Vegas declared Star Trek Into Darkness the worst film of the franchise."

This topic has been covered in another thread, so I won't rehash. This EW article loses credibility with this statement, IMO. They didn't do their homework.

BUT

I'm most concerned that fanboy negativity is REALLY ruining our chances of seeing more quality films. Orci's defensive reactions are the case in point. Are we as a fan base collectively shitting where we eat?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 02:17 AM   #6
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

The best thing Paramount can do is ignore us because some of us will never be happy. They could rebuilt the original sets, clone the actors and write the greatest hours of television ever seen by human eyes and a small group of fans could find something to complain about. They don't want to happy, they're miserable about something and want to drag everyone down to their level. It's sad, pathetic and annoying. Thankfully the majority of them are confined to the internet, much like that giant head that claimed to be God.
Old September 24 2013, 02:21 AM   #7
austen_pierce
Commander

^^^ what gets me is that the creators now seem to think we're the target audience, the one's they need to please. Our reaction seems to have depressed them.

AND

"The core fandom is now in a moment of deep pessimism, equivalent to the mid-’70s Animated Series lull and the mid-00s Enterprise decline"

I disagree with this. I think the new movies have reinvigorated the fandom, if only to give new fans voices and give old fans something new to debate.

Do we need to create a love letter to let them know that not all of us think they have failed?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 02:25 AM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
^^^ what gets me is that the creators now seem to think we're the target audience, the one's they need to please. Our reaction seems to have depressed them.

AND

"The core fandom is now in a moment of deep pessimism, equivalent to the mid-’70s Animated Series lull and the mid-00s Enterprise decline"

I disagree with this. I think the new movies have reinvigorated the fandom, if only to give new fans voices and give old fans something new to debate.

Do we need to create a love letter to let them know that not all of us think they have failed?
I think it would be a good idea if someone linked them back to the poll in this very forum that 668 people have voted in and 530 rated the movie a 'B-' or better.
Old September 24 2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

I'm more excited about Trek now than I have been since I was a child and TNG was on. For a while, after Nemesis and Enterprise, I wanted nothing to do with the franchise. But Star Trek 09 rekindled it.
Old September 24 2013, 02:37 AM   #10
22 Stars
Commodore

Trek 09 rekindled it for me too, but STID quashed it for me. A 9/11 conspiracy movie, over 10 years after 9/11 felt forced and self serving for the writer (Orci). Also, regurgitating, multiple lines of dialogue, and entire scenes from TWOK didn't help.

Made the second half of the film more like a parody, than a tribute.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 02:39 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Trek 09 rekindled it for me too, but STID quashed it for me. A 9/11 conspiracy movie, over 10 years after 9/11 felt forced and self serving for the writer (Orci). Also, regurgitating, multiple lines of dialogue, and entire scenes from TWOK didn't help.

Made the second half of the film more like a parody, than a tribute.
When I watched Star Trek Into Darkness, it was the most fun I had with Trek since seeing The Undiscovered Country in the theater in 1991.
Old September 24 2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Are we as a fan base collectively shitting where we eat?
No. I reject any logic which says that we are somehow at fault for allegedly making the situation worse. This didn't start with us. It started when the filmmakers apparently largely ignored our concerns that have been voiced repeatedly over the last few years. In other words, if popular complaints about the films somehow hurt our chances of getting any more quality films, is the problem really with us? Besides, if the films are making money, what's the problem?
Old September 24 2013, 02:45 AM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
No. I reject any logic which says that we are at fault for somehow making the situation worse. This didn't start with us. It started when the filmmakers apparently largely ignored our concerns that have been voiced repeatedly over the last few years.
This makes no sense.

How many movie writers and directors consult the audience before making a film?

I seriously don't have any idea what world you're living in?
Old September 24 2013, 02:47 AM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

I posted what I said above and EW still hasn't put it in their comments section.
Old September 24 2013, 02:48 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

^^^ what gets me is that the creators now seem to think we're the target audience, the one's they need to please.
Nah they don't, but when producers and writers don't respond to "the fans", they are branded as cowardly and/or secretative. No-win scenario.

Bad Robot's team is making the films they like to watch, and their movies make plenty of money. The active Trek fanbase is a small part of the movie-going population, and always has been. And the tie-in licensees know that only 1%-2% of that audience buys the tie-ins.

We are very useful for generating free, positive word-of-mouth, though. You can't buy that kind of publicity. ST films with poor advance word-of-mouth (ST V, Insurrection, Nemesis) tended to sink. STiD tended to get poor word-of-mouth by the time it reached USA. Perhaps the gap between the Sydney and US premieres was too wide?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote