Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: On What Would You Like A New Trek Series Based?
A Starship 38 65.52%
A Fleet 7 12.07%
A Station 2 3.45%
A Colony 7 12.07%
Other (please specify) 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23 2013, 05:26 PM   #76
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

surak-toc wrote: View Post
David.Blue wrote: View Post
Here's an idea.

STAR TREK: ASGARD

I'm not sure when exactly this would take place. Almost doesn't matter.

....SNIPPED FOR SPACE....

That's something I'd like to see.
i ditto that, it would be amazing to watch, i think it should be post nemesis, but 100 years post to it, then it will be amazing, a really good get to know you show as it were. Really having a in depth character development show, some political struggles and great discovery series.
Thank you very much.

Problem now is--I'm imagining how to set this up. Went to sleep last night imagining the name of the type of shuttle they'd use--a more advanced version of the Runabout. Came up with Starwing and Farrunner. Come to think of it, methinks Farwing would work best.

And I came up with a character. The first generation of colonists (again, assuming they initially shared a major common experience and/or trauma) included a Vulcan and Andorian who married. Their child elected to join Starfleet and is now assigned to the Space Station, probably as a pilot. Looks like a blond Vulcan with blue skin. Parents dead now, with some unresolved issues, cannot help but end up a kind of unofficial liaison between the two groups.

Likewise I'm imagining Asgard itself lies just within a nebula, somewhat difficult to find. Further study shows it was terraformed half a million years ago, but by whom? Because the ruins are nowhere near that old.

Meanwhile I'm imagining some other polity nearby, a people who were once wealthy and powerful but somehow lost it all long long ago. Not unlike Babylon Five's Centauri or the Bajorans, or Land of the Lost's Sleestaks.

Arrrrgggggg!!!!!!
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 08:17 PM   #77
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
I want a series set up maybe 15 or 20 years after DS9 ended, but in the Abrams-verse. In this universe, (because of the comic where the Narada was upgraded with Borg technology), somehow the Borg are advanced and SUPER scary. The Dominion somehow are more advanced, too. Our heroes are on a small, junky ship (like Serenity), trying to stay off the Dominion's radar and away from assimilation. We find one of Guinan's people, an El-Aurian, who knows the timeline is different, we view her as an oracle, and the show goes from there to find clues and fix the timeline. Bam!
Why do people keep talking about "fixing the timeline"? There's nothing wrong with it, it's a completely seperate time line, right alongside the Prime Timeline (The Primetime still exists and plays out exactly as we've seen for the past 50 years). If you want something set in the Prime time line, simply set it in the Prime Time line and do what you want there. Would anyone suggest "fixing" The Mirror Universe? The Alternate Time Line didn't erase or corrupt the Prime Time Line, it simply made a new one.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 09:31 PM   #78
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Historically, in Star Trek, when the timeline is "broken", it gets "fixed". When Nero went back, he changed time. Now, if you subscribed to The Doctor's statement that there are fixed points in time that cannot be changed, then Nero's incursion would have happened in the Prime Verse... but this isn't Doctor Who. It's Star Trek. Star Trek makes things right, or else the Enterprise C wouldn't have been sent back to die. Needs of the many. The timeline is changed. Who knows what life is going to be like almost 200 years after Kirk and Spock? How do we know that the Narada didn't automatically jump-start the Borg? It was built with Borg technology, after all? So being faced with a future where humans, Klingons, Ferengi, Tholians, Vulcans, Romulans, Bajorans, they're all on the fringe, working together to fight a huge foe, sacrificing everything they are to restore a timeline where all of these races have fought together to keep the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant and the Borg in the Delta Quadrant, where there is peace for our half of the galaxy... I think that's more than fixing something that's not broken... I think that's something we, as an audience, could get behind and root for, whether we know what the Prime timeline looks like or not, it's gotta be better than what we (could) have.
Old September 23 2013, 09:44 PM   #79
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Historically, in Star Trek, when the timeline is "broken", it gets "fixed". When Nero went back, he changed time. Now, if you subscribed to The Doctor's statement that there are fixed points in time that cannot be changed, then Nero's incursion would have happened in the Prime Verse... but this isn't Doctor Who. It's Star Trek. Star Trek makes things right, or else the Enterprise C wouldn't have been sent back to die. Needs of the many. The timeline is changed. Who knows what life is going to be like almost 200 years after Kirk and Spock? How do we know that the Narada didn't automatically jump-start the Borg? It was built with Borg technology, after all? So being faced with a future where humans, Klingons, Ferengi, Tholians, Vulcans, Romulans, Bajorans, they're all on the fringe, working together to fight a huge foe, sacrificing everything they are to restore a timeline where all of these races have fought together to keep the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant and the Borg in the Delta Quadrant, where there is peace for our half of the galaxy... I think that's more than fixing something that's not broken... I think that's something we, as an audience, could get behind and root for, whether we know what the Prime timeline looks like or not, it's gotta be better than what we (could) have.
Again, The Abrams Time Line, didn't replace the Prime Time Line, they are running side by side, we just happen to be watching the Abrams Time Line. The Prime Time Line is still there intact, unbroken

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 09:53 PM   #80
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Again, The Abrams Time Line, didn't replace the Prime Time Line, they are running side by side, we just happen to be watching the Abrams Time Line. The Prime Time Line is still there intact, unbroken
Except for part where it doesn't exist anymore after Kirk's birthday. You see, what happened is that Nero and Spock Prime came from Prime Future, and when they came back, they changed the timeline. The Prime Timeline from Nero's incursion point onwards was/is being replaced by the Abrams Time Line. It's overwriting the Prime Timeline. They're not running side by side. This universe runs parallel to the Mirror Universe, which is differently entirely. That actually IS a separate timeline, with its own events that only slightly (when someone jumps across) effects this timeline. However, the future of, say, my great great grandson, who may have grown up to see Pike and the Talosians, will now see Kirk and the iEnterprise and a Kahn who is British.
Old September 23 2013, 09:54 PM   #81
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

https://www.google.com/search?q=back...ml%3B595%3B297
Old September 23 2013, 09:59 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Except for part where it doesn't exist anymore after Kirk's birthday. You see, what happened is that Nero and Spock Prime came from Prime Future, and when they came back, they changed the timeline. The Prime Timeline from Nero's incursion point onwards was/is being replaced by the Abrams Time Line. It's overwriting the Prime Timeline. They're not running side by side. This universe runs parallel to the Mirror Universe, which is differently entirely. That actually IS a separate timeline, with its own events that only slightly (when someone jumps across) effects this timeline. However, the future of, say, my great great grandson, who may have grown up to see Pike and the Talosians, will now see Kirk and the iEnterprise and a Kahn who is British.
Go watch the season seven TNG episode Parallels. Then you'll understand why the Abramsverse is separate from the Prime Timeline.
Old September 23 2013, 10:04 PM   #83
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

"Parallels" is great. It's actually one of the episodes I watched again to research my idea. You all know the one Enterprise where Riker is begging & pleading not to go back, the one that is ultimately destroyed by one photon torpedo... what if we're in THAT universe? The Borg IS everywhere and the Dominion is fighting them with every last bit of conquered technology... wouldn't you want to "fix" the timeline, too?
Old September 23 2013, 10:08 PM   #84
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Wouldn't you want to send your proverbial Worf through the temporal rift that made things the way they were supposed to be, Butterfly Effect aside? If you made that the focus of a story with main characters who knew how to survive, keep their rough ships running, but not a whole lot about the Federation, Starfleet, Earth, etc, but trying to figure out how to make the universe a better place in this huge, mind-blowing idea of going back in time and shutting Nero down? Heroes had a great first season because the theme was "Save the cheerleader, save the world." What if you had a Trek show, who's whole thing was "Stop Nero" but nobody knew who Nero was or what that meant...
Old September 23 2013, 10:10 PM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

"Parallels" is great. It's actually one of the episodes I watched again to research my idea. You all know the one Enterprise where Riker is begging & pleading not to go back, the one that is ultimately destroyed by one photon torpedo... what if we're in THAT universe? The Borg IS everywhere and the Dominion is fighting them with every last bit of conquered technology... wouldn't you want to "fix" the timeline, too?
No.

Are you "fixing" them when you make them more like your own or are you destroying something unique? By trying to fix the Abrams timeline to make it more like the Prime timeline, you are destroying twenty-five years of something unique and unlike the Prime timeline. Something that will continue to diverge and become even more unique. Does anyone have the right to consign all those people who never existed in the Prime timeline or exist in a different manner to oblivion?

Do we also need to fix the Mirror Universe as well?
Old September 23 2013, 10:11 PM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

Wouldn't you want to send your proverbial Worf through the temporal rift that made things the way they were supposed to be, Butterfly Effect aside? If you made that the focus of a story with main characters who knew how to survive, keep their rough ships running, but not a whole lot about the Federation, Starfleet, Earth, etc, but trying to figure out how to make the universe a better place in this huge, mind-blowing idea of going back in time and shutting Nero down? Heroes had a great first season because the theme was "Save the cheerleader, save the world." What if you had a Trek show, who's whole thing was "Stop Nero" but nobody knew who Nero was or what that meant...
Worf didn't destroy all those timelines by going back. He merely fixed the leak that allowed them to all flow together into one reality.

Parallels wrote:
RIKER: This is Captain Riker of the Enterprise. That is, the Enterprise which is indigenous to this universe. We've all encountered a quantum anomaly. We think we have found a way to return all of us to our proper realities, but we need to find that ship which exhibits a certain quantum signature. Our Mister Data will transmit that signature to you now.
Old September 23 2013, 10:15 PM   #87
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

You're right. He fixed the leak. Worf "made things the way they were SUPPOSED to be". He blatantly understood, in a dumbed down way, what Guinan understood in "Yesterday's Enterprise", that there is a certain way that this certain timeline is supposed to be, and it needed to be repaired to, in his case, stop him from shifting between all of them, or in Guinan's case, prevent a reality where the Federation and Klingons were in a continual war. I present to you a reality where the Federation is dead. What would you do?
Old September 23 2013, 10:24 PM   #88
BillJ
Admiral

You're right. He fixed the leak. Worf "made things the way they were SUPPOSED to be". He blatantly understood, in a dumbed down way, what Guinan understood in "Yesterday's Enterprise", that there is a certain way that this certain timeline is supposed to be, and it needed to be repaired to, in his case, stop him from shifting between all of them, or in Guinan's case, prevent a reality where the Federation and Klingons were in a continual war. I present to you a reality where the Federation is dead. What would you do?
You're working under some wrong assumptions regarding how the Prime timeline and the Abramsverse relate to one another.

When Nero arrived in 2233, it created a new timeline that runs in parallel to the Prime timeline. It created a branching point or a fork in the road. To the right the Prime timeline goes on as if nothing happened, to the left the Abrams timeline was created and Nero wreaks havoc.

The writing team used the concept from Parallels to keep both the Prime timeline intact and create a new one. They essentially used the concept to create a soft-reboot of the franchise.

If they destroy Nero before he ever creates the new timeline, they destroy the new timeline but it has no bearing on the Prime timeline in any way. It is still chugging along in two different forms in the novels from Pocket Books and the game Star Trek Online, which both also have had to branch off at some point because they are incompatible with each other from a story and continuity standpoint.
Old September 23 2013, 10:32 PM   #89
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Forgive my novice knowledge of how temporal mechanics works, but if Nero didn't create a new timeline replacing the original timeline, then why, in the Prime Universe, would there be a Department of Temporal Investigations that made sure that nothing was changed? They're all parallel universes, after all, right?

No, I reject that theory. You can't create a timeline and kill people essential to that timeline and expect that timeline to go on existing unchanged. Vulcan was destroyed as a result of Nero's incursion. Where does that leave Tuvok or any of the other younger future Vulcans? Were they still born? Do they still exist? Spock was immune, for what I imagine would be much the same way the Enterprise E crew still existed after the Borg tried to assimilate the past, protected by the Temporal Wake. But all of his compatriots from the future. Gone. Or changed. Will Kirk still get sucked into the Nexus and ultimately killed? Does it matter if there's no Guinan? No Enterprise D? How can they exist when the past is changed? What would have happened if Nero went to 1945? Would you and I still be here? Think about it.
Old September 23 2013, 10:40 PM   #90
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

People assume time...
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote