Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 23 2013, 04:38 PM   #76
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

1.Lensflares- A fair point to be sure. It doesn't bother me at all, but I can see why it would bother others. But! If it would make you feel better, JJ admits he has a problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWNGMTcD_jY

2. TRANWARP TRANSPORTER- As another poster pointed out, without the destination known is basically makes exploration impossible. Also I thought they established in the first film that it wasn't exactly 100% safe either (ie Scotty materializing in the tube).

3. Cadet to Captain? - True, but it's a super hero origin story. Kirk saved the earth with that crew and that ship and in that logic it works, in the real world..... of course not. As much is Trek is a look at what could be, it is still really, really fake.

4. Windows - I think others have touched on it. But yeah maybe they have super futuristic space glass that protects them from such things....

5. Spock and Uhura.... Alternate timeline. Perhaps the flirty stuff we saw on TOS was just a shadow of a relationship they did have and never touched on (I mean do you think in the 60s they'd have a white guy in a relationship with an African American woman?), but this is an alternate timeline and that relationship did happen. I don't really see it as out of character at all, if they are the same people at their core, but slightly different otherwise.

6. Chekov - See above.... Alternate timeline. Different past events will ultimately change who you are.

7.Supernova- Superduper Nova. Honestly they just put it in laymen's terms so everyone can grasp the severity (see: 'load up your super ice cube'). They are trying to avoid getting over technical.

8.DRILL- Probably not, but the drilling and dropping it in the planets core feels more evil to me.

9.SUPER DUPER DUPER SPEED. Two words: Jump Cut. "A jump cut is a cut in film editing in which two sequential shots of the same subject are taken from camera positions that vary only slightly. This type of edit gives the effect of jumping forwards in time. It is a manipulation of temporal space using the duration of a single shot, and fracturing the duration to move the audience ahead."

10. The Enterprise - April only really existed in the cartoon, and he was featured in the comic book series leading up to this film, and Bob Orci said at one point they were even considering him as a potential character.

Outside of that Alternate Timeline, the Enterprise was built at a different time because history was altered. As for the size, my guess is that was stylistic choices that wanted to show just how big the ship was.

11. Fencing - Already been tackled.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 07:47 PM   #77
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
^That's some pretty foolish stuff. Building the shuttle on the ground has NOTHING to do with building a starship there.
Why not? A starship is just a spaceship the size of an aircraft carrier. We build aircraft carriers on the ground too.

The window business is equally stupid. The orbiter is essentially operated like an aircraft, of course it has windows.
So is the Enterprise, it turns out.

Why don't you link to a bunch of photographs of real operations centers that have got bright lights shining in the crew's eyes too, while you're at it?
Here's one.

Here's another.

How's this?
Old September 23 2013, 07:54 PM   #78
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out.
It's even harder to operate the controls when somebody shoot a gigantic hole in the bridge. This begs the question of why the bridge is situated on top of the saucer in the first place.

At least the window finally gives us a logical reason for the bridge location: it's on the top of the saucer because the crew needs to be able to see outside with the naked eye. If you don't put a window on the bridge, you'd have no reason to leave it exposed to space in the first place and could stick it deep inside the saucer behind layers of armor plating and shock absorbers.
Old September 24 2013, 12:17 AM   #79
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Not the same Egg, not the same Sperm. Basically this Pavel is as much Pavel, as Pavel's older brother would be. So in essence, this Chekov is Pavel's older brother that ended up being named Pavel.
And that's why, in "The Day of the Dove", Pavel was so easily able to be convinced that the Klingons had murdered his older brother, Piotr. Phantom memories of alternate timelines.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 01:03 AM   #80
austen_pierce
Captain

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out.
It's even harder to operate the controls when somebody shoot a gigantic hole in the bridge. This begs the question of why the bridge is situated on top of the saucer in the first place.

At least the window finally gives us a logical reason for the bridge location: it's on the top of the saucer because the crew needs to be able to see outside with the naked eye. If you don't put a window on the bridge, you'd have no reason to leave it exposed to space in the first place and could stick it deep inside the saucer behind layers of armor plating and shock absorbers.
I think you're talking about Battlestar Galactica.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:09 AM   #81
nightwind1
Commodore

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Well, of course Orbiters have windows. I mean they have to. However, its a risk. But they have no other choice. But they only orbit. They don't get near stars or stellar phenomena
So starships use transparent aluminium. After all it isn't like the Enterprise never had huge windows on it...right?

But in JJTrek, the windows are in the front, which makes it different....

....somehow.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:15 AM   #82
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Well, of course Orbiters have windows. I mean they have to. However, its a risk. But they have no other choice. But they only orbit. They don't get near stars or stellar phenomena
So starships use transparent aluminium. After all it isn't like the Enterprise never had huge windows on it...right?

But in JJTrek, the windows are in the front, which makes it different....

....somehow.
Having a window would have been useful in situations where the viewscreen is having technical difficulties, like in TWOK. Also it looks like a technology that is futuristic yet possible. The old one was a big TV screen. You can buy one that big if you have the money. That's why I like the new movies. They take familiar objects but give them an extra spin so they resemble something that is futuristic for modern audiences instead of audiences in the 60s.
Old September 24 2013, 10:53 AM   #83
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Not the same Egg, not the same Sperm. Basically this Pavel is as much Pavel, as Pavel's older brother would be. So in essence, this Chekov is Pavel's older brother that ended up being named Pavel.
And that's why, in "The Day of the Dove", Pavel was so easily able to be convinced that the Klingons had murdered his older brother, Piotr. Phantom memories of alternate timelines.
Or, and much more easily, time his relative. One Chekov spends time on a longish sublight journey or on a part of the galaxy where time moves at a slighty different rate. Him being a different person who just happened to end up in the same place as his phantom brother....
Old September 24 2013, 12:16 PM   #84
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
or on a part of the galaxy where time moves at a slighty different rate.
Aliens did it?
Old September 24 2013, 01:35 PM   #85
marksound
Fleet Captain

The viewport/display is either about 3 feet thick or made of multiple layers, like an insulated window. Also it looks like there are clamshell style doors that could be closed if necessary.

I think it works very well, like a HUD.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:55 PM   #86
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

The position of the bridge on the Enterprise was always kind of stupid. Its way too easy to hit. Like Carcazoid said, the windows could be made out of some special futuristic glass that's really hard to shatter, or could have multiple layers. Also, there could be doors that automatically close if the windows do shatter, the design would fit that.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:51 AM   #87
trevanian
Rear Admiral

^That's some pretty foolish stuff. Building the shuttle on the ground has NOTHING to do with building a starship there.
Why not? A starship is just a spaceship the size of an aircraft carrier. We build aircraft carriers on the ground too.

The window business is equally stupid. The orbiter is essentially operated like an aircraft, of course it has windows.
So is the Enterprise, it turns out.

Why don't you link to a bunch of photographs of real operations centers that have got bright lights shining in the crew's eyes too, while you're at it?
Here's one.

Here's another.

How's this?
The glare on the first one is oblique, visible from the taking camera, but not interfering with the operation (unless the guy decides to squat down and try to watch the screen from the bottom edge-on.)

The second one has a light, not a spotlight, and it doesn't look like it is producing glare, just illumination.

The third one seems irrelevant. Nobody is getting blinded by fluorescent tubes in any universe.

Also, the lighting environments in the shuttle are workaday, like an office. Except for the tube in 3, I can't imagine the other sources being used on a vessel that had an alert status going on like you see in TREK, when scrutinizing instruments and displays is probably even more crucial than usual.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 04:57 AM   #88
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

The glare on the first one is oblique, visible from the taking camera, but not interfering with the operation (unless the guy decides to squat down and try to watch the screen from the bottom edge-on.)

The second one has a light, not a spotlight, and it doesn't look like it is producing glare, just illumination.

The third one seems irrelevant. Nobody is getting blinded by fluorescent tubes in any universe.
So there's not much of a problem on the Enterprise bridge either, then.

Except for the tube in 3, I can't imagine the other sources being used on a vessel that had an alert status going on like you see in TREK, when scrutinizing instruments and displays is probably even more crucial than usual.
Yeah, I can't imagine that anyone would stick a bunch of bright fluorescent tubes in the middle of the console, directly above the instrument readouts the crew is supposed to be scrutinizing.
Old September 26 2013, 02:36 AM   #89
trevanian
Rear Admiral

So there's not much of a problem on the Enterprise bridge either, then.

Except for the tube in 3, I can't imagine the other sources being used on a vessel that had an alert status going on like you see in TREK, when scrutinizing instruments and displays is probably even more crucial than usual.
Yeah, I can't imagine that anyone would stick a bunch of bright fluorescent tubes in the middle of the console, directly above the instrument readouts the crew is supposed to be scrutinizing.
Those ain't fluorescents. That's a piece of plastic with a movie light behind it. (up until fairly recently using regular fluorescents was a hassle for film, one you could work around, but why would you unless you had to, which meant shooting on a location where you couldn't modify the fixtures?)

BACK ON POINT. And yeah, it is too bright given the proximity to the screens, proving they've messed up on this at times but (and a BIG but) compare any of your pics to the Abrams bridge and you'll see a magnitude of difference. HORRIFICALLY different.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 03:00 AM   #90
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

I find it stunning that people can get upset over something as trivial as lens flare. It's weird touch that JJ likes to put in his projects, it has no effect on the story, acting or any other detail. It's just an easy straw to grasp at and complain.