RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 436
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 2 2013, 12:15 AM   #31
blueshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Beta Quadrant

Vulcan redshirt, I enjoyed that link, and it seems your projections for Borg and Dominion space match well with Timo's "Star Trek Star Charts" book.

I agree the conquering empires likely would stick to mostly spherical territories. But the Klingons could be "down" from Earth regardless of which quadrant they're in and more easily have a literal sphere of influence that has lengthy borders with the UFP and Romulans yet remains within striking distance of Cardassia.

Placing the prime meridian at Greenwich may be arbitrary, but it's also a very useful spot to select for exactly the reason you cite involving the International Date Line.

On the other hand, the scientific definition of Western Hemisphere really does refer to everything within 180 degrees west of the prime meridian, but politically it's far more useful to refer to it as North and South America.

Timo, by the way I very much enjoy your book and read through it often. I suspect scientists would want to establish a prime meridian for the galaxy, as it would be essential for mapping purposes, and Vulcan redshirt's link suggests somebody already did.

I don't know how meaningful the alpha/beta line would be for the political and colonial needs of the Federation and its neighbors since exploration would be driven by the contours, or more precisely the stars of interest and astronomical objects of interest, of the Orion Spur.

The "Alpha Quadrant" really serves more as a helpful political shorthand Star Trek's writers invented. I just always found it amusing because the Dominion War involved such a tiny part of the total quadrant. It's like saying "the Western world" when you mean the Benelux nations.

I guess I think the Federation and Klingons should have been calling themselves the "protectors of the Orion Arm," or that Gul Dukat should have said the Cardassians were to be the "masters of the Orion Arm."
blueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:39 AM   #32
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I didn't know that Timo was one of our resident authors. I have that book.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:18 PM   #33
Timo
Admiral

Oh, no - Geoffrey Mandel is the author. It's just that he discussed the book with a number of fans before proceeding, and the Alpha and Beta quadrant stuff is basically the research of Christian Rühl (see http://www.stdimension.org/) worked over by yours truly to best match what we knew of the Trek universe just before ENT premiered. So I get the generous "technical advisor" credit along with Bormanis, Okuda and Sternbach, while Christian gets actual "contributor" credit as due.

Basically, my contribution is limited to pp. 46-47, 62-67 and the fold-outs at the end - it's my clumsy artwork redone with smooth printing effects, plus a couple of added details. And by visiting Christian's website, you can see it's not particularly original art anyway. It's just something where Mandel and I happened to agree a lot.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:27 PM   #34
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Ah, there you are on the title page. I'll have to give that book another look soon.
Old September 3 2013, 02:56 AM   #35
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I always think....

Why isn't Betazed in the Beta Quadrant?

Old September 3 2013, 03:32 AM   #36
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I always think....

Obviously, because it's in the Beta Zedrant.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:40 AM   #37
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Because Betazoid women like Alpha males.
Old September 3 2013, 04:38 AM   #38
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Betazed in the alpha quadrant, is the counterpart of Alphazed in the beta quadrant.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:10 AM   #39
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

^^hehe.
Old September 3 2013, 02:00 PM   #40
jpv2000
Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Because Betazoid women like Alpha males.
Good one.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:38 PM   #41
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

This makes for a very interesting discussion.

My own suspicion was that the Four Quadrant model of the galaxy was developed between TOS and STVI, possibly as a 'short hand' when more of the immediate region of the galaxy become familiar.

From STVI the premise seems that Beta Quadrant isn't too far from the Federation and/or the Klingon Empire.

But I also got the impression the Beta Quadrant was less-explored than the Alpha (which by the very nature of things must be overwhelmingly unexplored). I'm puzzled about any canon sources that explicitly say any polity we've heard of lies within the Beta Quadrant. Are there any?

Why are the lines where they are? No way to tell. Could easily be the detection of two identical weird events/objects on either side of the galactic center, or something a lot more esoteric/vague. Could even be a matter of dispute about exactly where the lines go, amidst general agreement over the bulk of what constitutes each (not unlike the "Bermuda Triangle" or "the Middle East" or even "The Bible Belt").

I've also presume a fair number of items we've heard of that seem from their description just too far way--the "edge of the galaxy" or "the center of the galaxy"--could conceivably be poor renditions of names given features. After all, "Greenland" isn't really. The English Channel might as well be called the French, while the Near East has precious little to do with geography per se. The New World certainly isn't a new planet. And the Old World is exactly the same age as the Americas.
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote